What's brewing December '18?

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by smithj2154, Dec 2, 2018.

1. smithj2154

smithj2154

Brewed a smallish wheated Porter 1.046og (getting closer to dialing in the new system) plan is to add some wheated bourbon in the keg to give me a session barrel aged beer for winter.
    Below I'm testing the wort with my bourbon to get an idea what might work.
    [​IMG]

Vogt52, wuntrikpony, cornboy and 8 others like this.
  2. axeman9182

axeman9182

About to go start the vorlauf on a batch of oatmeal stout, new style for me.

3. JCastle

JCastle

Brewing a session IPA with kveik for new year's and a marzen for sometime in January. Trying to get those in this week if I can.

4. cornboy

cornboy

Got a lot of "cellar" work done today. Cleaned all the empty kegs. Last weekend I brewed a 1.028 OG saison that I transferred onto Huell Melon hops in the keg today. This one came out at 2.9% and I used a turbid mash described here. Also transferred some leftover 11% BBA imperial stout onto unsweetened toasted coconut, coffee beans, and cacao nibs. One last transfer of leftover BBA quad into a unclean keg that previously held a keg-conditioned mixed fermentation saison. I'm going to let this referment in the keg over the next few months.

5. agrippin

agrippin

Brewed a super saison in the freezing cold Sunday. Thinking it'll hit 8% if the culture I revived in less than 24hrs does the usual job of fermenting to complete dryness. It was already going strong yesterday, but I'm planning on letting this one go for at least 6 months depending on acid production and possibly end up putting it on some apricots or nectarines.

6. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

Just finished cooling my first batch of #notlambic spontaneous beer here in Denver. 50% pils malt/50% red unmalted wheat. Hops are a mix of homegrown cascades from 2013 and purchased 2011 belma. Cooled to 59F over three hours.

Nothing like a four hour turbid mash.

7. smithj2154

smithj2154

I really want to give turbid mash a go but so scared of the time involved. Feel like I'll have to ask the wife for a full day of brewing which is unlikely to say the least.

I did package my session Porter and added 300ml of single barrel Maker's Mark into it. Excited to let it carb up.

Vogt52, cornboy and liquiddegenerate like this.
  8. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

For a regular 5-6 gallon batch definitely plan on a full day of brewing your first time. It takes a little time to figure out how to effectively remove runnings from the mash with the thickness of egg nog when there's not enough liquid to just open the ball valve and drain.

liquiddegenerate and smithj2154 like this.
  9. rcubed

rcubed

I did it once, never again.

smithj2154 and liquiddegenerate like this.