What's brewing? December 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawDeuce221

Reaction score
Well, this was brewed in November but I just kegged it this past Friday. It is a New England style pale ale (2row, white wheat, flaked wheat, carapils) with Galaxy, Nelson, Citra, and Amarillo. This is infamously called Tub Fart around these parts due to the first version being ridiculously "Hoof Hearted"-esque, and a not-so-nod to their name of Tub Life...and HevvyMetalHippie being very clever with names. I think I've corrected the milky appearance from the first version and this is what came out...
A91CD717-96F6-48E8-AEAA-E2889F14B69B.jpg

Still a tad too hazy but I'm happy with it.

I also tossed some blueberries into a wheat beer (2row, wheat, flaked wheat) that I brew a good amount of and was soured with previous version's dregs then add different fruits to each batch. I think I over fruited this at almost 3lb/gal of blueberries but have a tad of extra beer to add in after this ferments out, we'll see if it needs it.

46FB7FEA-5DE5-498F-8C9F-278FA56D6D2D.jpg

Purple drank, I think the head will be stained purple on this guy.

Brewed up a double IPA today, going for dank and fruity inspired a bit by Sticky Hands a bit by Heady. I think this is my first recipe that I threw together starting from complete scratch.

5.5 gal
O.G. = 1.075

43% Pale 2 row
43% Maris Otter
9% Wheat Malt
5% Carafoam

2 oz Columbus @60
1 oz Apollo @15
1.5 oz Citra @0
1 oz Centennial @0
1 oz Columbus @0
0.5 oz Apollo @0
1.5 oz Citra @Whirlpool
1 oz Centennial @Whirlpool
1 oz Columbus @Whirlpool
0.5 oz Apollo @Whirlpool

WY1056

Dry hop schedule will probably be similar to the 0 and WP additions, unless it tastes like it needs something else.

Hoping to get out to the farm and do that raw ale I never got done last year.

30lbs pils
20lbs raw wheat from the farm

First runnings I'm going to collect 15 gallons in a keggle as sort of a blending tank and have 1lbs of aged hops. No heating or anything. Then going into a fermentor. Throwing in a blend of Kveik and Saison Strains. I'll let that roll for a few day then pop in all my bretts and souring culture.

Second runnings will be 15 gallon of a faster style sour. No hops. Lacto P, Kveik, Saison, Bretts.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/342.html

Had a raspberry sour that was just a little too sour and had a little too many raspberries, so I blended ~3.5 gal worth with ~1.5 gal of a dry blueberry melomel. I decided to force carb this one (first time doing that with something sour), so I'm letting it chill out for a bit in the fridge before bottling. Samples tasted fire so I'm really pumped for this one. At the very least the color should be ridic.

Ended up racking half of a mixed ferment saison blend onto some fancy red grapes (can't remember which kind) from a local vineyard and the other half on a bunch of local peaches. About #2/gal of each. Nothing too crazy but I'm basically just using this thread as a reminder for when I did that ****.

November was a bust for me. I took a few extra days off here in December to brew one of the many beers on my list.

Starting with a WLP644 Extra Pale, single hopped with EL Dorado. If I have time, a Spelt Grissette with WLP564, split and one half dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria.

Schedule is busy AF this month but I'd like to put down another lambic brewday. I first have to find time to do a big blending/bottling day for the end of the seven year run of my solera this month.

What's your method for blending? I'd like to get into blending my beers

Was able to brew an IPA i had been working on. This is the first time I've done 5gl of it hope it tastes ok! Also giving my FTss chilling unit a run for the first time.
Recipe
ubMp1oYaiQrkWbDI9DlEwYzfXQ5dOWm3eIQMtaprbSwA9jEewbET2OTzx_UP1LcJdAo7i3DtOwk4RMdOQqv--PFwl8ts00qT1xVNgZHd77pczsKcBPb-gF4-IWeR6Op4VS4TndktPVO8jv6T6pkPh5jo8xLbnwyPpXdrL5SqLpOOYz0auV3nzn3EpvU5IjANsO9O0hHaZE_BODfFDi7iJNxE4d6aQ3StF8x8r9iKGsl-7Qo-OosajQMQUSJ8zU1VUy09rjD9I0lpFIM_KxL4SlUa98jDvczsRRU9OeHkB8OpWxcTLB7Nrik25VgVFFz5jfAm-0j6UjarklXHrumHdwiyP1uj73ZxuXaTBghpg9RUsgMbNh2OjDxCjScxjaMaOwzDMU6HkAMjW3xRCC4SQv5GCOvCFWG6IPmBGatzfR6nSaugvi8OBUsrQZx9hdbx4RlntFRTf7j4M6WWClZJKcHItsO_Z3kd8VNTEcJU_pTTwADbTGVc7BBAEqhZd9D-Boa5Qvkl43vmtsyberyh0x1W_kkMcZYdOVtO04s7U_JorZACVqZoh6oFBily1gKwVdCiGgCEJncQLWLUX5uUXRjxtr8qXXfyAiSPT3drpOPzkOp_IY6z7A=w690-h920-no

Got a gallon of kombucha going for the girlfriend yesterday and picked up grain and yeast for a brown porter that will get brewed up on Friday.

Man, I need to do this while I'm off. I got cultures in the fridge. IDK if you guys have had the new fruited GT Daves lately, but hot damn the Mango and Guava are as good as CS Petite sours we had on draft a few months ago.

Got a gallon of kombucha going for the girlfriend yesterday and picked up grain and yeast for a brown porter that will get brewed up on Friday.
Man, I need to do this while I'm off. I got cultures in the fridge. IDK if you guys have had the new fruited GT Daves lately, but hot damn the Mango and Guava are as good as CS Petite sours we had on draft a few months ago.

I'm on my 5th batch of hopped kombucha and literally can't brew enough, its like a dry hopped sour that you can drink at work. I'm starting to think about kegging a kombucha berliner blend.

I'm on my 5th batch of hopped kombucha and literally can't brew enough, its like a dry hopped sour that you can drink at work. I'm starting to think about kegging a kombucha berliner blend.

Friend of mine has blended wort onto a scoby to great results. Worth trying for sure assuming your scoby isn't crazy acedic.

One of the best alcoholic beverages I tried in the last year was a blend of short mead and peach kombucha that a couple in my club brought to NHC club night. Sofa king good.

Nice day for a brew, good wind around 75f. Brewing a rye saison with that yeast bay hill farmstead stuff and white labs Belgian saison yeast
What's the name of that strain? Dorothy is a beer I want to try and clone sometime soon.

Brewed up a batch of mild yesterday. Curious to see if there will be a noticeable difference as normally I use 1/2lb of pale chocolate malt, but the store only had 0.3lbs left for my order. Ended up splitting the last .2lbs between regular chocolate and dehusked carafa.

Also kegged an all Mosaic batch of pale ale as a test batch for competition next month. Basically looking to decide whether I want to keep it all Mosaic or work in a little Centennial or something to add some complexity to the hop character.

Some Madeira Maple Barleywine because Monday. Had to uncap and recap all these bottles after overcarbing (now I know Madeira has residual sugar in it), but I'm glad to say it worked and the carb is pretty much perfect now. Maple is very present, I get a little bit of nutmeg or something, raisin, caramel, good amount of bitterness and a slight bite at 11.9%. Kind of a weird beer, but it works and I like it.

20161219_151313_zpsinzr2eff.jpg

Had a raspberry sour that was just a little too sour and had a little too many raspberries, so I blended ~3.5 gal worth with ~1.5 gal of a dry blueberry melomel. I decided to force carb this one (first time doing that with something sour), so I'm letting it chill out for a bit in the fridge before bottling. Samples tasted fire so I'm really pumped for this one. At the very least the color should be ridic.

ISO

Ended up racking half of a mixed ferment saison blend onto some fancy red grapes (can't remember which kind) from a local vineyard and the other half on a bunch of local peaches. About #2/gal of each. Nothing too crazy but I'm basically just using this thread as a reminder for when I did that ****.

ISO

;)

Brewed a "sessionable" porter last weekend with a friend that has a 10gal setup. I took 5gal home so ferment with my own equipment. He is using the Danstar Windsor dry yeast and I used Y1318 bc I had it on hand, not an extreme difference but different none the less. I also threw in 1oz of medium toast oak cubes and 1.4# maple syrup during primary that will make mine realtively different than his.

Dead Leg Porter
74% pale
10% wheat
5% flaked rye
5% c90
5% chocolate
1% black patent
OG 1.045 (then add ~7pts for the maple syrup)
Started ferm at 65°F with a rockin starter and bumped it up to 68°F 2 days later where it is currently sitting.

Should bring it to right around a 5% jawn at the tap. My current plan is to lager it for a few weeks to let the cake really settle then use gelatin in the keg to totally clear it up, dont want no muddy *****.

Yesterday I finished 3 gallons of 100% Pils, 100% brett fermented beer that I plan to cold condition for 3-4 weeks after primary.

Today I knocked out 6 gallons of HBT's "extract lambic" but I mini mashed 2lbs of oats and 1lb of corn in it. Fermenting with Omega Saisonstien and lacto P. I'll add a brett blend sometime soon to it and dry hop the **** out of it with new age citrus hops. Maybe add some citrusey juice to it too, IDK.

Hopefully be out at the farm early next week for the big brew.

VZREmyd.jpg

Brewed 10 gallons of a beer inspired by Norwegian Farmhouse ales with Kveik yeast. Half will be traditional, fermented and drank young. The other half will get souring bacteria and Brett strains added after primary.

15lbs pils
3lbs wheat
1lbs oats
1lbs corn
1lbs Vienna

Basically left over Malts.

Making a mash water infusion with Juniperus virginiana / Red Cedar
UNJSxyX.jpg

Mashing in a cooler as a mashing vessel. Then I'll use my mash tun as a filter vessel. Mashing at 158*f
OkdaxUK.jpg

Using my mash tun as a filter vessel with more Red Cedar and hay. I scooped the malts out of the other cooler and put it in this filter tun. Then I drained and sparged into the kettle.
lvcWznF.jpg

B1VLkRt.jpg

Boiled with no hops, chilled to 90*f and pitched Omega Hot Head.

gonna need a bottle of that, fam...

EDIT: how long did you steep Juniperus virginiana / Red Cedar and what temp?

i wanna try something like this...but with yarrow and sassafrass.

Last edited:
gonna need a bottle of that, fam...

EDIT: how long did you steep Juniperus virginiana / Red Cedar and what temp?

i wanna try something like this...but with yarrow and sassafrass.

How ever long it look to get from 70f to 171f, my strike temp. I left the same branches in when I added water for sparge.

Latest posts

Back