Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by rcubed, Dec 3, 2017.
Been a lazy morning but at some point I'm going to get a milk stout brewed up.
day 7 gravity sample of hazy IPA fermenting w london ale (not 1318)
down to 1.012 today
mosaic at flameout/whirlpool, then into two fermenters. one dry hopped with citra, the other with ekuanot.
oats, wheat, honey malt
excited to try the finished product, smells mostly of mosaic/melon now
Isn't it supposed to be in the keg by day 7?
Trying to deplete my hop stock so I can start fresh with a bulk order, so I brewed a west coast IPA this weekend. 2 row, carapils and vienna, fermented with Imperial House strain. I made all my hop decisions on the fly - its going to end up with mostly cascade/chinook/simcoe at 0 min and whirlpool, and then citra/mosaic/equinox in the dry hop.
Brewed 15 gallons of RIS this past weekend. Scaled up version of the 2013 NHC gold medal recipe 'Split Open and Melt'. Mash tun can't accommodate the grain bill, so it was a triple brew weekend. Had to clear out the keezer to fermented two 6.5 gallon carboys and a 5 gallon carboy. Gotta do what you gotta do!
Also filled a "10 gallon" whiskey barrel with 10.5 gallons of mead and came up frustratingly short (by about a gallon). Lesson learned. (hence why I brewed 15 gallons to refill that barrel)
Knocked out a rye saison last weekend with 2oz of leftover jarrylo in the whirlpool. Got a big pitch of my house mixed culture
Back on the horse after a few years, brewed an IPA for the first time in forever. Moved to 1 gal batches and doing a fermentation under pressure with spunding valve. Amarillo and Mosaic for steep / 24hr DH, with cryo Mosaic/Citra for keg hops this weekend. Also kegged a 'berliner' aged on blackberries.
Holey ghost of Christmas past, welcome back Zapy
Thanks man, it had been a while. Move and stuff just put things on ice for a while. Living the one gallon life now
omg I guess tomorrow I'll go buy some WLP099
BARLEYWINE IS RIFE
Just bottled an imperial stout three ways.
1. Some is just the regular ass stout.
2. Some of the bottles received a mix of bourbon that's been soaking with oak for the past few years with Madagascar vanilla beans.
3. The remaining bottles received a whisky and coffee blend. I took rye whisky soaking with oak for a couple years and soaked some of that into unroasted Mexican coffee beans. Then I roasted those and combined them with the same beans without the whisky. Then I made a cold brew coffee and added the same rye whisky to it.
I added all the additions at bottling so it was a long bottling session.
I've been getting a little bit experimental on this barleywine. I added a starter of WLP099 on day 2, sugar addition on day 5, and another sugar addition on day 6. Gravity reading shows it around 15.1% and I'm expecting to land around 15.7% after this latest sugar addition. Then this is going to go on oak in secondary for a looong ass time.