What's Brewing: February '19 edition

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by smithj2154, Feb 3, 2019.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. smithj2154

smithj2154

So I'm two for two on my goal of brewing one batch each calendar month so far. Knocked out a hoppy pale that is all base malt 60-30-10 Pilsner- Vienna- White wheat. Simcoe and citra at the 5min Mark and pitched a good starter of 1056 harvested from last months batch. Nailed my target OG 1.052! I'm really excited about brewing this year and even more so with the prospect of switching to a base malt with more character from the discussion in random brewing thoughts thread.

2. coldcrash

coldcrash

Fuck it’s February already! I was totally looking for the January thread to post this.

Double brew day here.

Mashed in at 6am on a hoppy pale ale, TF Pearl, just under 20% rye and a touch of crystal 10. Cascade, Cashmere and Azacca. Will ferment w my backyard Yellowjacket culture.

Currently running a Saison into the kettle. Floor malted Pilsner, rye, wheat and spelt from a local maltster. This will get the hoppy iteration of my Allagash Belfius culture.

3. YungCoolship

YungCoolship

After pulling samples and tinkering with ratios, I took 2 carboys with lower fill levels and blended them last night. One was a turbid mash mixed ferm sour fermented with TYB's sour blend brewed in June and the other was a saison with the DuPont strain & brett c brewed in August. Both beers are pretty young, but I guess I talked myself into blending them out of concern to the fill levels of the carboys and the pellicles they'd grown. The saison has developed a slight barnyard/pineapple funk but is otherwise clean, whereas the mixed ferm sour is already pronounced in tartness but has a Welch's grapejuice/medicinal nose going on. I blended it to be approximately 60/40 saison to mixed ferm sour, hopefully some more time will do them well.

4. agrippin

agrippin

Had a saison I was planning to age for a minimum of six months before fruiting this summer. Went to take a sample today and it tastes like some 2015 era sour beer with weird apple funk. Very disappointed, gonna let it ride out for at least another month as the weather is far too terrible here to brew outside yet. Punched down a bunch of blackberries though in another saison and it smells amazing. Win some lose some.

5. smithj2154

smithj2154

Somewhat on a whim I decided to Brew some life this morning. Loosely based on HotD Matt. Two base malts, two crystal, two roasted, two candi sugars, and two smoked malts. Simpsons peated malt has me intrigued guess I need to start drinking some Islay;) pre-boil is sitting at 23.4p!! Let's see how the rest of the morning goes.

6. smithj2154

smithj2154

rcubed just saw the SBE Email! What timing!!

rcubed likes this.
  7. smithj2154

smithj2154

Ended up at 26.8 P!! Biggest beer I've made il on the new system. Hope my yeast pitch was enough...

8. anteater

anteater

Just bought a second fridge so I don't need to ferment in my kegerator anymore, now I can finally ferment and serve at the same time. I'm breaking it in with a Centennial Blonde this weekend.

9. axeman9182

axeman9182

Off from work today and already almost done with the mash on a batch of Czech pils.

10. axeman9182

axeman9182

Brewday number 2 this weekend, taking my first stab at a dry irish stout.

11. More Betterness

More Betterness

Dry Irish Stout and Pils on tap is a dream combo!

12. smithj2154

smithj2154

Life update checked my force ferment sample and it's down to 6.6P! Double checked with my hydrometer and sure enough 1.026! More excited that both of my measurement tools match up. Probably going to rely solely on my refractometer from here on out. Feel like this is a whole new start for my brewing this year.

13. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

7.5 gallons

15lbs pils
    4lbs wheat
    3lbs oats

Omega Hothead and Tropical IPA (sacc trois) for primary then I’ll add in Bring the Funk blend, Lacto P, and a dry saison strain. I’ll probably add some light dry hopping after that and package.

14. meatst1ck

meatst1ck

new mixed culture saison getting brewed up today, and super stoked to see the results of this one...

5 gal
    rough percentages are 65% Pils, 25% Wheat, 10% Oats
    0.5 oz Crystal @90, then 1oz each of Crystal and Grungeist in the whirlpool (targeting ~20 IBUs total)

Mash at 149F in hopes of getting this one a tad more dry

Maniacal Farmhouse Fever will prob get pitched (and held at) around 80F, then maybe ramp up to 85F for a few days to ensure completion

Planning on adding some tilquin/girardin dregs at ~5-7 days into primary, then conditioning for ~10-12 weeks or so prior to bottling, depending on gravity

15. meatst1ck

meatst1ck

Welp, I just realized (after already having started the mash) that I added ~14.5ml of lactic acid, not ~4.5ml.....

I think I'm gonna go ahead and scrap this one, start fresh in a few days. God damnit lol.

16. smithj2154

smithj2154

Well thats a bummer. And I’m all too familiar with scrapping a brew day after just getting started.

meatst1ck likes this.
  17. rcubed

rcubed

Hopefully they did indeed get in more Imperial Rustic yeast at the local shop yesterday so I can brew up my Belgian Pale Ale tomorrow. Been a long time since I've had a Belgian beer on tap so I'm looking forward to it. I've brewed up this recipe a few times and it's pretty dialed in but I decided to try using some of the new Brumalt from Great Western in it: http://www.greatwesternmalting.com/gwm/specialty-malt/brumalt/

18. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

gonna brew a black saison conditioned on plums and yunnan purple buds loose leaf black tea.

19. rcubed

rcubed

Ended up using B53 Precious instead since Rustic has a description of a lot of bubblegum, which I hate in Belgian beers.

smithj2154 likes this.
  20. anteater

anteater

First time cold crashing. Filled this balloon up with co2 so no oxygen gets into my IPA and I'm looking forward to none of the 8 oz dry hop getting siphoned into the keg.

[​IMG]