What's Brewing? February 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking my NEIPA with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy and sacch trois fermented at 72. I was pretty skeptical from the first few samples, which were overwhelmingly belgian-y. But after a week in the keg, that character has died down and kind of turned into a bubblegum flavor that melds better with the tropical hops. Body is a few points lighter than when I use Conan in the same beer, and it works. Appearance is also lighter in color and hazier than when I use Conan. Aroma and flavor from the hops isn't as intense as with Conan either.

Overall, I've brewed variations of this recipe 6 times now (Conan or 1318 every other time) and would rank this one 5th, although its still really good.

1) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
2) Citra/Equinox
3) Citra
4) Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus
5) Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy (trois)
6) Nelson

20170203_160258_zpsydk6lezb.jpg

Brewed a meyer lemon mixed fermentation saison earlier this month that developed mold. It's getting dumped.

About to rack this imperial stout into a wheat whiskey barrel. I'll brew an adambier to go in the barrel for fill #2.

Likely brew a replacement mixed saison later this month to replace the dumper.

May also brew a basic sour beer as a base for this ground cherry sour beer I've meant to brew for months.

im brewing a 10gal batch of NEIPA this saturday on the new rig. im freaking excited.
it will also be my first time using citra resin.
im using chinook (bittering)/mosaic (loose leaf in hop back)/citra (resin and pellets)/adha 527(pellets) w/ 1318

EDIT:
im also planning on brewing a hoppy american wheat beer w/ simcoe and brett c

Last edited:
I just kegged up a nice easy dry Irish Stout. rcubed, you should stop by soon and share some HB and watch some hockey!

I have a Citra Mosaic IPA in the fermenter at the moment!

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 45.9 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
4.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -
5.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Can someone recommend a good English Barleywine recipe? I feel like doing something different soon here.

I just kegged up a nice easy dry Irish Stout. rcubed, you should stop by soon and share some HB and watch some hockey!

I have a Citra Mosaic IPA in the fermenter at the moment!

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 45.9 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
4.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -
5.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Can someone recommend a good English Barleywine recipe? I feel like doing something different soon here.

I have a good barleywine recipe.

Not sure if this is exactly what I did since the recipe is on my phone and I might have changed it but it goes something like this:

82% Maris Otter
4.7% Cane Sugar
3.5% Crystal 120
3.5% Caramunich
3.5% Rolled oats
1.4% Crystal 150
1.4% Special B

Magnum to bitter to 25 IBUs. Finish with 15 IBUs of EKGs. London Ale WLP013 yeast.

drbenzo , I suggest at least cutting our filtered tap water in half with distilled water. More like 60/40 distilled to filtered.

I just kegged up a nice easy dry Irish Stout. rcubed,

I brewed an English Barleywine in July and its been sitting on oak for the past 7 months. Your post reminded me that I haven't tasted it yet so I just went to check it out. Very happy with how its coming along, much better than that lousy American Barleywine I brewed previously. I took the recipe from a King Henry clone thread but changed the hops:

5 gal, 2 hour boil

28 lb Marris Otter
1.9 lb Cara wheat
1.3 lb C120
0.3 lb Chocolate malt

3 oz UK Challenger 60 min
1.7 oz Fuggle 30 min
1.8 oz Fuggle 10 min

WY1968

Drinking my Imperial Stout (13.1%). I took More Betterness 's parabola-esque recipe and threw in some maple syrup, aged it on oak for 6 months, added vanilla bean, whole columbian coava beans and bourbon. Totally flat after 8 months in the bottle, gross. Finally dumped all the bottles into a keg and its probably the best thing I've ever made, I can hardly believe it.

20170209_190940_zpsytzxfqgh.jpg

Drinking my Imperial Stout (13.1%). I took More Betterness 's parabola-esque recipe and threw in some maple syrup, aged it on oak for 6 months, added vanilla bean, whole columbian coava beans and bourbon. Totally flat after 8 months in the bottle, gross. Finally dumped all the bottles into a keg and its probably the best thing I've ever made, I can hardly believe it.

20170209_190940_zpsytzxfqgh.jpg

That sounds incredible! Glad it worked out!

Going to brew one more hoppy beer, and if it doesn't turn out alright, I will probably never brew a hoppy beer again. This is basically the Fat Head's Headhunter Recipe from Mitch Steele's IPA book. I brewed it a couple years ago and had really good results. To date my best hoppy beer.

Does the malt bill look overly complicated? Yes! Is the hop schedule weird with the 30 and 35 min additions? Yes! But **** it, it worked before.

8lbs 2 Row
4lbs Maris Otter
0.75 Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 10
1lb CaraHell
0.3lb CaraPils
0.8lb Corn Sugar

.5 oz Mosaic FWH
.25oz CTZ 90min
.25oz Citra 45min
.25oz Centennial 45min
.25oz Citra 30min
.25oz Centennial 30min
1oz Mosaic 10min
1oz Centennial 10min
.5oz Citra 0min
.5oz Mosaic 0min
.75oz CTZ 0min
10 day dry hop with 2oz Mosaic and 1oz each Citra and CTZ

US-05

Ca- 137 Mg-9 Na-24 SO4-331 Cl-26

What do you all think about dry hoping in the keg versus a secondary or even in primary during clean up?
If I dry hop, I'm always doing it in the keg. Sometimes in the carboy too, but always in the keg. It's just too easy and I feel like I get limited O2 pick up, so I figure why not.

I've been doing end of ferm in primary and I did keg hop one beer and just left them in there. Tastes great, got excellent reviews from a local head brewer.

I drop hop in a keg and then transfer to a serving keg via co2.
I'm lazy, but my best practice for dry hopping an IPA, is half in primary at about 90% of expected attenuation to get some biotransformative action, and then half in a 'jumper' keg before the serving keg.

Now I don't actually brew, so I don't actually do that, but if I did, that's what I would do.

Not sure if you're set on your recipe or not, but figured I'd post mine as it's done well in competition in the past

14.375lbs Maris Otter
14.375lbs Golden Promise
1lb Biscuit Malt (though I'm thinking of dialing this back a little bit for the next batch)
0.25lbs Special B

Bitter with Magnum and/or Challenger 60 about 50 IBUs @ 90 minutes
1oz each EKG and Fuggles @ 20 minutes
1oz each EKG and Fuggles @ flameout

Ferment with an equal pitch of Wyeast 1056 and 1968. Pitch at 62 and after 3 days make sure it's up at 68. From there ramp it up a degree or two a day until it's in the low 70s and hold for a week. Add a good amount of O2 at pitching and a bit more at 18-24 hours. Rouse the yeast at 4-5 days. I keep it in primary for a month and then bulk condition in secondary for a couple months until I keg it.

The ***** of it is that I run off about 11 gallons of wort from the mash and conduct a 5 hour boil. Worth it though as I've ribboned at a couple different competitions (including 1st place last night for the 2015 batch at my club's competition) and made it to NHC finals a couple times. It should be drinkable by about 6 months, but really starts to shine after it's had a year or so.

What do you all think about dry hoping in the keg versus a secondary or even in primary during clean up?

My current process for my hoppy beers (which I've been pretty happy with lately for a change) is that I add half the dry hop in the last week in primary before kegging. I toss that addition in loose and leave the beer at room temp for the first 3-4 days and then cold crash for a few days before kegging. The other half I put in a bag and add to the keg right before I rack the beer into the keg. I leave that in for anywhere from 3 to 7 days depending on how quickly I feel like the beer is picking up any flavors that I might call grassy.

Ever used just one or the other an actually been able to tell the difference?

Nope. Before I brewed a barleywine for the first time I emailed the brewer at Cambridge Brewing Company asking about a big beer they brewed that I really liked and the recipe details I got back included an even split between the two as the base malt, and I just went with it.

Wife brewed 10 gallons of wit Sunday. I helped but I made her do all they heavy lifting. I just explained how the B3 sculpture worked and made sure she didn't screw anything g up. I did help move the 25 gal pots and carboys, she was beat afterwards but they're fermenting away nicely in carboys. We used wyeast in one and white labs in the other so we can determine which yeast we prefer. 68F start and 72F finish.

This weekend I'm brewing a pale ale and finally getting the conicals and all the extra hardware I've been making functional. It'll be glorious or a total disaster.

Going to brew one more hoppy beer, and if it doesn't turn out alright, I will probably never brew a hoppy beer again. This is basically the Fat Head's Headhunter Recipe from Mitch Steele's IPA book. I brewed it a couple years ago and had really good results. To date my best hoppy beer.

Does the malt bill look overly complicated? Yes! Is the hop schedule weird with the 30 and 35 min additions? Yes! But **** it, it worked before.

8lbs 2 Row
4lbs Maris Otter
0.75 Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 10
1lb CaraHell
0.3lb CaraPils
0.8lb Corn Sugar

.5 oz Mosaic FWH
.25oz CTZ 90min
.25oz Citra 45min
.25oz Centennial 45min
.25oz Citra 30min
.25oz Centennial 30min
1oz Mosaic 10min
1oz Centennial 10min
.5oz Citra 0min
.5oz Mosaic 0min
.75oz CTZ 0min
10 day dry hop with 2oz Mosaic and 1oz each Citra and CTZ

US-05

Ca- 137 Mg-9 Na-24 SO4-331 Cl-26

Maybe it's just me, but that sulfate level is way too high for my liking and the chloride is way too low. A sulfate to chloride ratio that high gives a beer harsh bitterness imo. If you're having issues with hoppy beers try adjusting your water.

Maybe it's just me, but that sulfate level is way too high for my liking and the chloride is way too low. A sulfate to chloride ratio that high gives a beer harsh bitterness imo. If you're having issues with hoppy beers try adjusting your water.

Ha, that's what I'm adjusting it to. I start with distilled.

It's a pretty old-school West Coast IPA profile. I've made it in the past, and it was the only decent hoppy beer I've ever made.

That new fangled, high chloride, cloudy, turbid thing isn't my jam.

Ha, that's what I'm adjusting it to. I start with distilled.

It's a pretty old-school West Coast IPA profile. I've made it in the past, and it was the only decent hoppy beer I've ever made.

That new fangled, high chloride, cloudy, turbid thing isn't my jam.

I don't think he was recommending to reverse it but maybe dial back the sulfate or up the chloride just a bit? Not sure if mouthfeel or bitterness is even an issue for you, but you're looking at a 12.7 sulfate:chloride ratio and John Palmer's advice goes like this:

• 0-0.4: Too Malty
  • 0.4-0.6: Very Malty
  • 0.6-0.8: Malty
  • 0.8-1.5: Balanced
  • 1.5-2.0: Slightly Bitter
  • 2-4: Bitter
  • 4-9: Very bitter
  • 9+: Too bitter!

I don't think he was recommending to reverse it but maybe dial back the sulfate or up the chloride just a bit? Not sure if mouthfeel or bitterness is even an issue for you, but you're looking at a 12.7 sulfate:chloride ratio and John Palmer's advice goes like this:

• 0-0.4: Too Malty
  • 0.4-0.6: Very Malty
  • 0.6-0.8: Malty
  • 0.8-1.5: Balanced
  • 1.5-2.0: Slightly Bitter
  • 2-4: Bitter
  • 4-9: Very bitter
  • 9+: Too bitter!

I definitely get where you guys are coming from. I was skeptical the first time I brewed this.

If you have the Mitch Steele IPA book, the recipe for Head Hunter includes the water profile. I actually dialed down the sulfate a tad!

Back