What's Brewing: February 2018

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by Beerontwowheels, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Didn't see a thread for Feb yet. Let's get it started.

No actual brewing for me yet, but yesterday I kegged my barrel aged stout. Stout went into a '10 gallon' (more like 11g) barrel on 12/30 and came out yesterday, split between two kegs. I hit one keg with 4oz of Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso beans that were 'angered'. Probably leaving the other keg as is. Straight out of the barrel the beer had a nice level of roastiness, notes of cocoa and oak, and a pretty solid thickness to it. Crossing fingers this tastes awesome when it goes on draft.

Refilled the barrel with an 11%+ barleywine (using axeman9182's NHC gold recipe) and reserved 2 extra gallons for topping off as I expect this will be in the barrel a bit longer than the stout was.

All in all, a productive weekend.

2. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Doing a 2 gallon extract brew. Going to use Voss Kveik and Goodbelly to make a quick sour, then I'm going to juice the shit out of it with mango and papaya. Playing around with the idea of using a whip cream cracker to mix the beer with some egg whites and make like a nitro fizz or maybe a cream to put on top of the juicy sour. Still trying to figure out the details in my head.

3. kbuzz

kbuzz

ISO both

coldcrash and sfsea like this.
  4. JCastle

JCastle

I'm brewing a pilsner and a tmavé pivo this week. Gonna try lagering longer than usual, maybe 60 days or so.

doobiegoobie, MooseLang and coldcrash like this.
  5. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I can make that happen. Been a looongg time....

sfsea likes this.
  6. kbuzz

kbuzz

[​IMG]

7. axeman9182

axeman9182

I think you're required by law to send me some of the barleywine when it comes out of the barrel.

8. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I only boiled for 4 hours, not 5, so I think your argument falls apart in court. :p

9. rcubed

rcubed

I kegged up my Czech pils last week so I washed the yeast and brewed up a hoppy lager yesterday using Mandarina Bavaria, Medusa, Experimental Stonefruit, and Equinox.

10. anteater

anteater

Drinking my Galaxy El Dorado NEIPA. Hazier than usual. Big dank mango pineapple nose. More dank mango peach pine and pear in the taste. I split the hops 50:50 but I'm tasting 90% Galaxy. I'm probably going to only use Galaxy as a third or less of the hop bill from now on, it just takes over. Pretty good NEIPA, but not a top 5 favorite hop combo for this base.

[​IMG]

Also got a taste of my carbed RIS aged on oak cubes with cognac and decided it could be more interesting so I threw some cocoa nibs and a quarter stick of cinnamon in the keg.

11. YungCoolship

YungCoolship

I have used Galaxy alongside several combinations of hops and it has always overtaken the flavor and aroma. I love Galaxy, it might be my favorite because of its intense tropical notes, but I don't even bother experimenting with it anymore because of the reason stated above. Try Vic Secret, it's basically baby Galaxy. BTW that beer looks awesome!

12. anteater

anteater

Thanks man. Vic Secret is going to be one of the next new hops I experiment with it, very curious after trying it in some Great Notion.

YungCoolship likes this.
  13. JCastle

JCastle

Stop telling people about Vic Secret! If the price goes up I won't be able to use it for my wheat beer anymore ;)

14. cornboy

cornboy

I brewed 10 gallons of saison today with ~5 yr old saaz and whole cone citra. Pitched WL French saison and American farmhouse. Going to add whatever bottle dregs I have to half the batch for extra phonk.

15. rcubed

rcubed

Got tomorrow off from work and wanted to brew but my time is better spent working on my cellar. Going to bottle 6 gallons of blended wild ale and fruit the remaining blend with a ton of peaches.

16. smithj2154

smithj2154

I did my blend today. Out of sixteen total gallons; I bottled six straight, saved one of the most recent for the next Gueuze blend, took six gallons and put it on 5ish pounds of peaches from a neighbor's tree, last bit blended with a gallon of blonde sour aged on ginger and fresh lime zest from our key lime tree. Was a long afternoon!
    [​IMG]