What's Brewing: February 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerontwowheels

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for Feb yet. Let's get it started.

No actual brewing for me yet, but yesterday I kegged my barrel aged stout. Stout went into a '10 gallon' (more like 11g) barrel on 12/30 and came out yesterday, split between two kegs. I hit one keg with 4oz of Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso beans that were 'angered'. Probably leaving the other keg as is. Straight out of the barrel the beer had a nice level of roastiness, notes of cocoa and oak, and a pretty solid thickness to it. Crossing fingers this tastes awesome when it goes on draft.

Refilled the barrel with an 11%+ barleywine (using axeman9182's NHC gold recipe) and reserved 2 extra gallons for topping off as I expect this will be in the barrel a bit longer than the stout was.

All in all, a productive weekend.

Doing a 2 gallon extract brew. Going to use Voss Kveik and Goodbelly to make a quick sour, then I'm going to juice the **** out of it with mango and papaya. Playing around with the idea of using a whip cream cracker to mix the beer with some egg whites and make like a nitro fizz or maybe a cream to put on top of the juicy sour. Still trying to figure out the details in my head.

Didn't see a thread for Feb yet. Let's get it started.

No actual brewing for me yet, but yesterday I kegged my barrel aged stout. Stout went into a '10 gallon' (more like 11g) barrel on 12/30 and came out yesterday, split between two kegs. I hit one keg with 4oz of Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso beans that were 'angered'. Probably leaving the other keg as is. Straight out of the barrel the beer had a nice level of roastiness, notes of cocoa and oak, and a pretty solid thickness to it. Crossing fingers this tastes awesome when it goes on draft.

Refilled the barrel with an 11%+ barleywine (using axeman9182's NHC gold recipe) and reserved 2 extra gallons for topping off as I expect this will be in the barrel a bit longer than the stout was.

All in all, a productive weekend.

ISO both

I can make that happen. Been a looongg time....

tumblr_inline_nzixxe2VkO1sjbvse_500.gif

Drinking my Galaxy El Dorado NEIPA. Hazier than usual. Big dank mango pineapple nose. More dank mango peach pine and pear in the taste. I split the hops 50:50 but I'm tasting 90% Galaxy. I'm probably going to only use Galaxy as a third or less of the hop bill from now on, it just takes over. Pretty good NEIPA, but not a top 5 favorite hop combo for this base.

Hsy6DT2.jpg

Also got a taste of my carbed RIS aged on oak cubes with cognac and decided it could be more interesting so I threw some cocoa nibs and a quarter stick of cinnamon in the keg.

Drinking my Galaxy El Dorado NEIPA. Hazier than usual. Big dank mango pineapple nose. More dank mango peach pine and pear in the taste. I split the hops 50:50 but I'm tasting 90% Galaxy. I'm probably going to only use Galaxy as a third or less of the hop bill from now on, it just takes over. Pretty good NEIPA, but not a top 5 favorite hop combo for this base.

Hsy6DT2.jpg

Also got a taste of my carbed RIS aged on oak cubes with cognac and decided it could be more interesting so I threw some cocoa nibs and a quarter stick of cinnamon in the keg.

I have used Galaxy alongside several combinations of hops and it has always overtaken the flavor and aroma. I love Galaxy, it might be my favorite because of its intense tropical notes, but I don't even bother experimenting with it anymore because of the reason stated above. Try Vic Secret, it's basically baby Galaxy. BTW that beer looks awesome!

I have used Galaxy alongside several combinations of hops and it has always overtaken the flavor and aroma. I love Galaxy, it might be my favorite because of its intense tropical notes, but I don't even bother experimenting with it anymore because of the reason stated above. Try Vic Secret, it's basically baby Galaxy. BTW that beer looks awesome!

Thanks man. Vic Secret is going to be one of the next new hops I experiment with it, very curious after trying it in some Great Notion.

Got tomorrow off from work and wanted to brew but my time is better spent working on my cellar. Going to bottle 6 gallons of blended wild ale and fruit the remaining blend with a ton of peaches.
I did my blend today. Out of sixteen total gallons; I bottled six straight, saved one of the most recent for the next Gueuze blend, took six gallons and put it on 5ish pounds of peaches from a neighbor's tree, last bit blended with a gallon of blonde sour aged on ginger and fresh lime zest from our key lime tree. Was a long afternoon!
5WdiznZ.jpg

Been way to long since I posted here. Been brewing up a storm for a home brew competition with Azacca hops. Normally I do 10G batches but for recipe creation been doing dual 5G batches.

Sorry for the horrible pic, but here is my new setup I have been using in my garage.

20180204_183826.jpg

First time caller, long time listener, huge fan, thanks for taking my call.

I've admittedly burned myself out on NEIPA after being assaulted with all of the various offerings on the market, paired with my own attempts at the style, and decided that I wanted to get back to the somewhat-basics.

Brewed up a red IPA over the weekend using a grist of 15% flaked rye, 1% chocolate rye (for color), and the rest an even split between golden promise and Red X with a pinch of table sugar to dry it out a bit. For water, I went 150ppm calcium, chloride, and sulfate. A small dose of columbus at 15 followed by even amounts of citra, galaxy, and centenninal at flameout to 60IBU.

Pitched a starter of 1968 and it's fermenting away at ~67°F. Will transfer to a keg with dry hops (more citra, galaxy, and centennial) and spund in a few days. Expecting around 6% ABV with a FG of 1.013.

My goal is to make a red IPA that doesn't smash your face in with caramel malts but still has enough of a malty backbone to balance with a slightly higher bitterness than is "standard" for our time. Threw some rye in there because who doesn't love rye?

I've admittedly burned myself out on NEIPA after being assaulted with all of the various offerings on the market, paired with my own attempts at the style, and decided that I wanted to get back to the somewhat-basics.

Brewed up a red IPA over the weekend using a grist of 15% flaked rye, 1% chocolate rye (for color), and the rest an even split between golden promise and Red X with a pinch of table sugar to dry it out a bit. For water, I went 150ppm calcium, chloride, and sulfate. A small dose of columbus at 15 followed by even amounts of citra, galaxy, and centenninal at flameout to 60IBU.

Pitched a starter of 1968 and it's fermenting away at ~67°F. Will transfer to a keg with dry hops (more citra, galaxy, and centennial) and spund in a few days. Expecting around 6% ABV with a FG of 1.013.

My goal is to make a red IPA that doesn't smash your face in with caramel malts but still has enough of a malty backbone to balance with a slightly higher bitterness than is "standard" for our time. Threw some rye in there because who doesn't love rye?
Next brew day is a WC IPA. Whirlfloccing that MF'er cuz I want it crystal clear.

I love the 100% Red X beers I've tried (and even made) so you can't go wrong with a little rye addition to it.

Back