What's Brewing in November 2017?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseLang

Reaction score
Haven't brewed since August, so hoping to get back on the horse this month. Just ordered ingredients for a German Pils. This is what I'm thinking:

10lbs Avangard Pils (only decent Pils malt my LHBS had)
0.25lbs Acid Malt
0.125 Melanoidin

1.25oz Hallertau 60min
1.0oz Hallertau 30min
1oz Saaz 15 min
1oz Saaz 5 min

WLP 830 (wanted to try 833, but not available)

Water (ppm): Ca- 53, Mg- 1, SO4- 72, Cl- 45

.2 ml/gal of Lactic acid to get pH in range. Didn't want to use 8oz of Acid Malt.

Still up in the air as to whether or not I'm going to do a single infusion mash or what. Kicking around the idea of doing a step mash, but that's a pain in the ass. Also thinking of pulling a decoction to go from Sacch Rest to Mash Out temp, but also a pain in the ass. If anyone has any particular technique that they prefer, I'm all ears.

Haven't brewed since August, so hoping to get back on the horse this month. Just ordered ingredients for a German Pils. This is what I'm thinking:

10lbs Avangard Pils (only decent Pils malt my LHBS had)
0.25lbs Acid Malt
0.125 Melanoidin

1.25oz Hallertau 60min
1.0oz Hallertau 30min
1oz Saaz 15 min
1oz Saaz 5 min

WLP 830 (wanted to try 833, but not available)

Water (ppm): Ca- 53, Mg- 1, SO4- 72, Cl- 45

.2 ml/gal of Lactic acid to get pH in range. Didn't want to use 8oz of Acid Malt.

Still up in the air as to whether or not I'm going to do a single infusion mash or what. Kicking around the idea of doing a step mash, but that's a pain in the ass. Also thinking of pulling a decoction to go from Sacch Rest to Mash Out temp, but also a pain in the ass. If anyone has any particular technique that they prefer, I'm all ears.

Maybe just add more melanoidin malt instead of decoction? Your beer will porbably be more of an "amber pils" if that's what your aiming for.

Maybe just add more melanoidin malt instead of decoction? Your beer will porbably be more of an "amber pils" if that's what your aiming for.

If I do the decoction, I probably won't use any Melanoidin at all. If I don't I'll probably stick with 2oz. Doesn't seem like much, but I feel like most good lager recipes I see don't use any more than that.

Definitely want it to be straw-colored.

I currently have a 10 gallon batch of mixed ferm sours that have been bulk aging since April. I split them and pitched TYB Melange in one (right) and TYB House Sour blend in the other (left). After tasting them, the TYB Sour blend has already displayed a nice balance of stone-fruity tartness/funk. The Melange blend so far is a more one dimensional sour and has a somewhat musty zinfandel grape taste to it. Since then I tasted them back in September, I pitched a small starter of dregs from NG BBBB into the Melange blend. I have been thinking about adding dG Nectarine Premier dregs to the other but haven't done so yet.

Other than that I have a split 10 gallon batch of Double IPA in its second week of fermentation. The malt bill is about 24# of 2 row, 2.5# of white wheat, .5# each of flaked oats and crystal20, and 2 lbs of sucrose at flameout. I overbought 2016 crop hops that I'm trying to use up, so this batch is Waimea/Mosaic/Citra and I'll have used up everything from 2016. 3oz of Waimea @ 60, 1oz each Citra/Mosaic @ 5, 3oz each of Citra/Mosaic for a 30 minute whirlpool. 2 days into fermentation I dry hopped with 2 oz of Waimea and 6.2 oz of Mosaic and I plan on doing the same at kegging. The dry-hopping is a little more heavy handed than I've done in the past so I'm curious to see who they'll come out.

I also have a English Barleywine that was brewed in early September currently in secondary. I plan on adding bourbon soaked medium toast cubes sometime in December... I've also toyed around with the idea of making this an abomination and adding vanilla bean and/or coffee.

Finally drinking my King Henry clone. 13 months on oak cubes, Elijah Craig, came to 11.7%. Lots of caramel, some dark fruit, chocolate, bourbon and oak come through nicely too. I'm really happy with this and will re-brew for sure, probably trying to up the OG and IBUs a bit each. Posting the recipe below because I messed up a few details last time, but I would definitely recommend it.

N04WM6N.jpg

5 gal
O.G. = 1.120

28 lb Marris Otter
1.9 lb Carawheat
1.3 lb Crystal 120
0.3 lb Chocolate Malt

3 oz Challenger 60 min
1.65 oz Fuggle 30 min
1.8 oz Fuggle 10 min

WY 1968

2 hour boil, separately boiled 1 gal of 1st runnings down to 0.5 gallon and added to kettle.

My hop hardware worked per the new equipment thread so now I'm ready to take on beers with a higher hop load. Got my big beers going with only the Baltic Porter (lager) left to brew.

Tonight I'm kegging 10gallons of RIS. To free up a Conical for my New Belgium Hoptober clone. I'm not even a big fan of the brewery but this beer just kills it for me. I'll admit when it first came out years ago I bought it based on the art work alone then started main lining it. Then it was discontinued so I fired up the internet machine and found a brewer there who helped me dial it in.

This is the only clone beer I make. It's been pushed from Golden Ale car to more of a light APA by swapping some hops out. Maybe it's because I use pilsner, 2 row, oats, wheat and rye I just find this one fun to brew. Going to knock out 18 gallon of it tomorrow after work. Will be brewing till midnight but I have a fence project to do Saturday.

Back in March I brewed 3gl of extract blonde. Primary with Wyeast 3711, then transferred to secondary with Wyeast Brett, lacto, pedio. Today I bottled 1gl still, 1gl with priming sugar, and the last gallon I put in a jug with 3oz fresh ginger, and 1.5oz of key lime zest the limes came from the tree in my backyard. Going to test it in a couple of weeks.

Drinking my latest NEIPA. Mostly Columbus and Azacca at 0 min and whirlpool, more Simcoe and Motueka for both dry hops. I don't think I've ever said this before, but I really recommend this hop combo (I stole it from Great Notion's Overripe). I think this is one of the best IPA's I've made.

B1LbJvT.jpg

Haven't brewed in about 5 months. Figured it was time again and did it Saturday with a friend.

Fourth time I've done the same recipe since the first came out so good, except I added 3lbs of wheat instead of 1. Not on purpose, too much homebrew during the process. Had to put a blowoff on it this morning so the culture is handling the mistake just fine, will be interesting to see how it differs.

oow1X1K.jpg

M89x4us.jpg

cfTFAcO.jpg

VywRSPI.jpg

That carboy on the left is a Berliner that's been sitting for about 2 years. Threw mangos on it about a year ago and completely forgot about it. I should probably taste it.

Been more than a year since the last time I mashed in. New crib is finally in order, so I'm back at it. Saison Sunday 60% pils, 30% wheat, 10% oats. 21g of cascade @10 and 5, whirlpool with 54g of el dorado and 42g of cascade. Built up my old house culture, starting out of the gate so slow it formed a pellicle before fermentation kicked off. My Brett got boobies.
fQiw78Q.jpg

59cRr

CYSzC

Brewed an imperial stout Sunday for a friendly competition with a couple guys who are fairly new to the hobby. They picked the recipe from...who knows where. It reads like an imperial stout 10-15 years ago. 10%, 100 IBU. These guys drink pastry stouts so they are in for a shock. It's 10% biscuit malt, 5% chocolate malt and 5% light roasted barley. (For the record I suggested the most recent NHC winning recipe but they got drunk and decided to search for stout recipes on compuserve.)

It's more barleywine imperial brown ale than stout.

I brewed mine for hazebro love with London Ale III (which is great in stouts) and hazebro-style chloride-heavy water. I wanted to minimize the impact of the bitterness because we agreed to brew the recipe the same except water and yeast are brewer's choice. There's no way I want to drink 100 IBU in a fresh stout. Especially not with adjuncts. I'm hitting them with variants of oak-soaked bourbon with vanilla and oak-soaked brandy with coffee. Trying to build back sweetness with the adjuncts.

image.jpg

amber ale fermented w wlp001

OF 1.066
FG 1.014

hopped w magnum + opal (leftovers)
caramel 10, wheat, carafa

A- beer overall, would not recommend, but now the leftover hops/malts are gone.

Back