What's Brewing in October 2017?

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by coldcrash, Oct 6, 2017.

1. coldcrash

coldcrash

About to begin heating strike water for a NEPA this fine October morning.

Pellet hops at 15 mins, whirlpool, and dry hop. Cryo going straight into serving keg. Definitely a shorter dry hop with just one charge in primary and one in the serving keg. Eager to see how this turns out.

Also put together a spelt Saison grist; may make it a double brew day depending on how ambitious I feel in a few hours...

2. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Making starters of Framgarden and Voss tonight. Brewing 100% pils lager like beer for Framgarden and another light beer I haven't decided on for Voss.

3. rcubed

rcubed

Brewing up my entry for the 2017 Stone AHA competition today. More on that beer as we get closer to the drop off date.

4. Phischy

Phischy

Tomorrow is my house IPA with new hardware to deal with excessive hop material, and also a Belgian dark strong. I've been trying to brew these for about 2 months.

5. axeman9182

axeman9182

My keg of mild is almost empty, so I've got another batch boiling away now.

6. JCastle

JCastle

Next week I'll be brewing two pilot batches of my pale wheat ale (one with Mandarina Bavaria, the other with Azacca). And I'll also be brewing another pilot batch of table beer.

7. More Betterness

More Betterness

Brewing my TBHC entry today while rehydrating this SOB..

[​IMG]

Huge pain in the ass but there’s 60 gallons of mixed ferment saison ready to go!

8. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Plans changed a bit.

3 gallons

3lbs light extract

1lb oats

1 cup white sugar

20 IBU of Perle

1oz Saaz at flameout

Pitched Voss and Stranda Kveik @ 85*f

9. Phischy

Phischy

Man I'm rusty. It's amazing how much if an art the while brewday is. First batch went sideways. Accidentally collected too much wort so had to do a longer boil, the. Set my 2nd kettle up and had 2 boils at the same time. But ran into a bottleneck at chilling. The Belgian dark strong didn't have the same issues. That batch went well. Probably an 11hr brewday for 20 gallons. I am not a speed Brewer.

10. Phischy

Phischy

Both beers are fermenting away, nothing like sound of yeast farts glugging away on 20 gallons of beer. For the BDS I used Wyeast 1214 Abbey. Started at 65 then bumped it up by 3 degrees a day till it hit 74. WYeast claims 68-78 and my entire garage smelled like Dem Fruity Esters. It's crazy as it's an oversized 2 car with only brewing and woodworking crap in it.

I did dial it back to 72. Having not used this strain before I'm worried a bit about fusel alcohols. Who's used this and St what temps? It's on day 4 right now.

SirDickButts, doobiegoobie and rcubed like this.
  11. rcubed

rcubed

Picked up grain for a sweet stout last night so I'm going to knock that out tomorrow. Might split the batch and adjunct half of it with something. But I might add a single vanilla bean to the whole batch depending on how it tastes.

I'm curious, has anyone added vanilla bean on the hot side? Results of that? I'm curious what a whirlpool addition would do (and yes I understand if the aromatics are driven off on the hot side but I'm not worried about that in this case, looking for more of a flavor impact).

12. anteater

anteater

Brewed up a simple wild ale yesterday. 65% pils, 35% wheat. Aged hops, 2 hr boil. Roseleare + 3F dregs, having some friends over this afternoon to get three more bottles worth of 3F dregs in there.

13. mojo

mojo

I've found my best beers are from simple recipes. It's been a few years since I went out on a limb, but I brewed a 5 gallon batch imperial stout this weekend and going to drop some bourbon in it.

38.5lbs of grain with an O.G of 1.131

[​IMG]

14. anteater

anteater

That's what I'm talking about!

liquiddegenerate likes this.
  15. Phischy

Phischy

Gonna get my RIS cooking this Saturday. Working through my big beer to do list currently. After that it's batch 3 of Adambier.

16. bum732

bum732

Do you have a rationale for adding on the hot side? I guess I don't see the point?

17. rcubed

rcubed

Not having to deal with it on the cold side (no sanitation worries or keeping it out of the finished beer) and a quicker infusion of flavor.

I ended up not doing it but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

bum732 likes this.
  18. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

weather is cooling down.....sup on brewing dat bugged saison?

19. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

fam, all i use for saisons is kveik yeast, thanks to you. its the best saison yeast strain ever.

20. Phischy

Phischy

Flood has me way backed up on my brewing schedule. I've got 3 or 4 batches to knock out first. But I'm getting through them. Club also decided to refill the barrel so I brewed for that. Another session behind.