What's Brewing in October 2017?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldcrash1

Reaction score
About to begin heating strike water for a NEPA this fine October morning.

Pellet hops at 15 mins, whirlpool, and dry hop. Cryo going straight into serving keg. Definitely a shorter dry hop with just one charge in primary and one in the serving keg. Eager to see how this turns out.

Also put together a spelt Saison grist; may make it a double brew day depending on how ambitious I feel in a few hours...

Brewing my TBHC entry today while rehydrating this SOB..

NQLIuIH.jpg

Huge pain in the ass but there’s 60 gallons of mixed ferment saison ready to go!

Man I'm rusty. It's amazing how much if an art the while brewday is. First batch went sideways. Accidentally collected too much wort so had to do a longer boil, the. Set my 2nd kettle up and had 2 boils at the same time. But ran into a bottleneck at chilling. The Belgian dark strong didn't have the same issues. That batch went well. Probably an 11hr brewday for 20 gallons. I am not a speed Brewer.

Both beers are fermenting away, nothing like sound of yeast farts glugging away on 20 gallons of beer. For the BDS I used Wyeast 1214 Abbey. Started at 65 then bumped it up by 3 degrees a day till it hit 74. WYeast claims 68-78 and my entire garage smelled like Dem Fruity Esters. It's crazy as it's an oversized 2 car with only brewing and woodworking crap in it.

I did dial it back to 72. Having not used this strain before I'm worried a bit about fusel alcohols. Who's used this and St what temps? It's on day 4 right now.

Picked up grain for a sweet stout last night so I'm going to knock that out tomorrow. Might split the batch and adjunct half of it with something. But I might add a single vanilla bean to the whole batch depending on how it tastes.

I'm curious, has anyone added vanilla bean on the hot side? Results of that? I'm curious what a whirlpool addition would do (and yes I understand if the aromatics are driven off on the hot side but I'm not worried about that in this case, looking for more of a flavor impact).

Picked up grain for a sweet stout last night so I'm going to knock that out tomorrow. Might split the batch and adjunct half of it with something. But I might add a single vanilla bean to the whole batch depending on how it tastes.

I'm curious, has anyone added vanilla bean on the hot side? Results of that? I'm curious what a whirlpool addition would do (and yes I understand if the aromatics are driven off on the hot side but I'm not worried about that in this case, looking for more of a flavor impact).

Do you have a rationale for adding on the hot side? I guess I don't see the point?

Do you have a rationale for adding on the hot side? I guess I don't see the point?

Not having to deal with it on the cold side (no sanitation worries or keeping it out of the finished beer) and a quicker infusion of flavor.

I ended up not doing it but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Plans changed a bit.

3 gallons

3lbs light extract

1lb oats

1 cup white sugar

20 IBU of Perle

1oz Saaz at flameout

Pitched Voss and Stranda Kveik @ 85*f

fam, all i use for saisons is kveik yeast, thanks to you. its the best saison yeast strain ever.

Flood has me way backed up on my brewing schedule. I've got 3 or 4 batches to knock out first. But I'm getting through them. Club also decided to refill the barrel so I brewed for that. Another session behind.

cool. no worries. just hit me up when you're ready.

fam, all i use for saisons is kveik yeast, thanks to you. its the best saison yeast strain ever.

About to do a batch with Lærdal which has bacteria in it too. Grew up about 200mls of it. The unhopped starter tasted like straight mango orange juice. Even way more than Plantarum + WLP644 Trois. Pitched at 90*f and it ran through a 1030 starter in like 48 hours. After I do a full batch I should have some to send out.

One of my buddies is doing a lot of Kveik and he's telling me to pitch 2 tbsp of the yeast slurry into 5 gallons. He's saying over pitching isn't that great for it. This stuff breaks a lot of "rules".

The brewers over there seem awesome too. Someone asked, what was the OG? "I don't know, I'm not a scientist." HAHAHAHAHA

About to do a batch with Lærdal which has bacteria in it too. Grew up about 200mls of it. The unhopped starter tasted like straight mango orange juice. Even way more than Plantarum + WLP644 Trois. Pitched at 90*f and ran through a 1030 starter in like 48 hours. After I do a full batch I should have some to send out.

One of my buddies is doing a lot of Kveik and he's telling me to pitch 2 tbsp of the yeast slurry into 5 gallons. He's saying over pitching isn't that great for it. This stuff breaks a lot of "rules".

The brewers over there seem awesome too. Someone asked, what was the OG? "I don't know, I'm not a scientist." HAHAHAHAHA

2 tbsps? ****. i have a giant slurry of hothead + tome de tous les d'iâpes bugs.
i'll run with 2 tbsp from that and see how it goes...
i also rarely check OG anymore. lol...its a bad habit, i guess...but **** it.

So wait... hothead for a saison?

Are you getting enough yeast character from it by itself?

Under pitching the key?

yup. i use kveik with dregs from saisons w/ bugs and ferment in the mid 80s.
i have yet to use the strain by itself. i just know it works damn well with bugs.
im not a big fan of whitelabs and wyeast saison strains.
this is my first time hearing about under pitching tho...im gonna have to try it out.

When I was doing research on my "lazy kveik" larsblog recommended massively under pitching. Being a fancy science person I did a lazy 2 day 250 mL starter of OYL-061 (Voss) and that took 5 gal of an OG of 1.041 to 1.013 in 10 days at ~80 F. I did a 2 hour boil so my guess is the higher FG is from that.

Beer turned out okay, aromas from the keg were amazing (dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria, all that orangey goodness came out), but don't use juniper berries in the mash and then boil that for 2 hours.

When I was doing research on my "lazy kveik" larsblog recommended massively under pitching. Being a fancy science person I did a lazy 2 day 250 mL starter of OYL-061 (Voss) and that took 5 gal of an OG of 1.041 to 1.013 in 10 days at ~80 F. I did a 2 hour boil so my guess is the higher FG is from that.

Beer turned out okay, aromas from the keg were amazing (dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria, all that orangey goodness came out), but don't use juniper berries in the mash and then boil that for 2 hours.

From what I’ve seen, berries aren’t used that much. But branches are used a lot.

Again paraphrasing from larsblog; you should never use berries, always branches. My LHBS didn't have any and there's a chance wild stuff is poisonous. I tried to be coy using them in my mash water.

My homie is a biologist and cancer researcher, I consulted him before using anything. The only poisonous stuff in the US is ornimental junipers. Red Cedar that grows all over the US is safe and taste great.

I don't know why but I always find big stouts more fun to brew. The process is nearly identical, and I drink a ton more light hoppy beers, but get more satisfaction boiling up a kettle of ink.

Thinking about gearing up for one myself. I went on a spree last fall so now I have two imperial stouts and a barleywine 10-15 months old waiting to be kegged, I don't want the pipeline to dry up...

Not sure if I want to use a tried and true stout recipe or take another stab at an English Barleywine, which I feel I haven't really nailed yet.

I need to re-brew my English barleywine or my Wee Heavy at this point. Both have done well in comps over the years.

Care to share the barleywine recipe? I'm looking for something on the darker side like bourbon county or MOAS.

Care to share the barleywine recipe? I'm looking for something on the darker side like bourbon county or MOAS.
King Henry has Maris Otter, Crystal Wheat, Crystal 120, and Dark chocolate listed as the ingredients. OG is 31 and IBU is 60 with Pilgrim and Styrian. I copied this information a while ago from the Goose Island website but never bothered formulating a recipe. If I had to do a quick guess I'd say at least 85% Maris Otter and keep dark chocolate at maybe 1%. Also you will need to aerate the **** out of the wort and add a huge pitch rate, maybe 40 million/ml.

I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home from work.

King Henry has Maris Otter, Crystal Wheat, Crystal 120, and Dark chocolate listed as the ingredients. OG is 31 and IBU is 60 with Pilgrim and Styrian. I copied this information a while ago from the Goose Island website but never bothered formulating a recipe. If I had to do a quick guess I'd say at least 85% Maris Otter and keep dark chocolate at maybe 1%. Also you will need to aerate the **** out of the wort and add a huge pitch rate, maybe 40 million/ml.

Could also try adding some pale chocolate malt instead of the dark chocolate malt and bump up the percentage.

I actually brewed this last year and its been sitting on oak cubes for just over a year. I won't be able to keg it before I brew another, sample tastes good though. Here's what I came up with (store didn't have Pilgrim or Styrian):

4.5 gal, **** efficiency, 3.5 hr boil
OG = 1.133

28 lb 2 row
1.9 lb crystal wheat
1.3 lb C120
0.3 lb chocolate malt

3 oz Challenger 60 min
1.7 oz Fuggle 30 min
1.8 oz Fuggle 10 min

WY1968

Kegged a fresh batch of mild last night. Also meant to keg a BSPA but evidently the yeast crapped out at 1.030. Only thing I can think of is too much table sugar ruined them for fermenting the sugars from the malt. It's never been a problem before with that recipe, but I'll probably start doing a staggered sugar feed for that beer from now on. Hoping a fresh pitch of 1388 will get it down to where it needs to go. Both fermentors will get refilled on Saturday, plan on brewing a quad and a pale ale (hops TBD) back to back.

Latest posts

Back