What's Brewing? January 2017

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by rcubed, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Phischy

Phischy

I have 10 gallons lagering. I'm going to split 3 off and add oak and possibly bourbon to it at some point. I'm encouraging guys in my club to do this with the goal of having a blind tasting at the end of 2017. Put 11 months of age on it. If you, or anyone,would like to swap bottles I'd love to have more to try at our big tasting.

My 2nd attempt will have a larger % of Cherrywood smoked malt. My recipe was a blend of Tonsmerires and the Beer Chefs recipe and Maltose Falcons.

Rails and bum732 like this.
  2. anteater

anteater

Awesome, I used this recipe which apparently come from Alan. Peat is noticeable but pleasant at 3%. I only put scotch in a gallon as an experiment. For the rest I added bourbon & apple brandy which I prefer. Overall it came out tasting a lot closer to Adam than I expected and is one of the better strong ales I've brewed. I'd still be curious to try Tonsmeire's Matt recipe.

I'd love to swap but I'm trying to quit shipping beer in 2017, sorry :(.

3. Phischy

Phischy

I'll be in PDX in March. Could do IP, 22oz bottle if to like to be part of our mini comp.

Plan is for 6 judges to be served blind, 3.5 oz samples all side by side in Best of Show style. Mini comment sheets for feedback, but not full BJCP reviews. Too time consuming and slow considering there's no real style.

4. anteater

anteater

Definitely interested then! I only have 12 oz bottles though as long as two of those isn't an issue.

5. Phischy

Phischy

Not an issue at all. All beers will be served blind.

6. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

100. 100. 100.

All these nanos around town make fun and say, "Oh don't let the sour brewer in here." But mill in the same room they ferment in. Okay guy.

Grain dust is tiny and hard AF to clean and harbors all kinds of nasty shit including lacto and clostridium. I always mill outside away from where I'm brewing.

Rails likes this.
  7. Phischy

Phischy

I should have elaborated. I have a B3 system with 2 pumps on it. And a 3rd pump mounted to my brew cart. It's a much larger cart that worked well for an old brewing space, but now just moving the hardware to a smaller cart. This pump will be used to transfer water from my RO tank to my sculpture. The 2 plate chillers I rarely use, one is brand new. I use an immersion chiller 90% of the time. These being the smallest I may just find a way to mount them to my brewstand. The mill is already a stand alone unit, but I need the footprint it takes up. Have to maximize garage space.

In thinking about this last night, I have to use sheaves to slow the mill down, and it won't work on the cart. So I need a geared motor and direct spider connection. So that project I've decided to postpone for the moment.

Pretty flexible in how I build things. I'll have the pump finished tonight.

8. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

^^ Phischy has the coolest garage I've seen in person. If I had a garage like that...I wouldn't even walk in the house.

9. Phischy

Phischy

Thanks. In 13 years of home brewing I'm basically taking the best ideas I've seen in person and in other people's builds online. This is my own little slice of brewing heaven. Helps my wife said yes and my dad did an absolute ton of work. I want to put a couch in there but my wife still has delusions she's going to park her car in my brewery.

10. WesM63

WesM63

I plan on brewing something this weekend, what though, i haven't decided. Thoughts on a for the masses brew? (Hosting a diaper party mid-February) I've been debating on "Cream of 3 Crops" from HBT but not sure if I want to go that generic and choke down whatever ends up being left over. (Simple recipe, 2-Row, Flaked Maize and Minute Rice. 4.5% and 16IBU)

Otherwise, I have about 15lbs of hops I should prolly get working on.

liquiddegenerate likes this.
  11. smithj2154

smithj2154

That's extremely similar to the grain bill I have been kicking around for a cream ale. I missed the HBT post though. What hops are you going to use? I want something like that as a refreshing evening drink that wont end my night after one.

12. rcubed

rcubed

I've been meaning to brew one as well. I'm just going to use Centennial since I have already have it.

smithj2154 likes this.
  13. WesM63

WesM63

The original recipe calls for Crystal and Willamate, but all at 60min. I haven't decided, if it's purely malt forward, whatever I have laying around to get to that 16IBU mark. (Nugget, U.K. Phoenix, or something)

Link for reference: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

14. anteater

anteater

Haven't tried the cream ale, but you definitely can't go wrong with the Centennial Blonde. Easiest beer I've ever brewed and biggest crowd pleaser. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

DoctorM likes this.
  15. anteater

anteater

Keepin cool with my Citra/Equinox NEIPA. First time using Equinox and I have to say I really like it a lot. Pineapple, mango and lime on the nose. Orange, lemon, lime, papaya and that "fleshy" tropical fruit quality. I think Equinox is bringing a lot of citrus to the table, with the lime notes standing out as pretty unique to me.

[​IMG]

16. axeman9182

axeman9182

Getting busy now ahead of my club's competition in early February. Filled bottles of belgian strong golden, wee heavy, and RIS from kegs last week. Kegged a mild Tuesday night and will keg a quad hopefully tonight, but soon. Brewing a pale ale (mostly Mosaic, with I think a touch of Centennial) on Sunday. Still need to find time/bottles to brew a new batch of lambic, rack some of my old lambic on fruit, and bottle another batch of gueuze as well.

rcubed, liquiddegenerate and FTowne like this.
  17. rcubed

rcubed

I have a lot of bottling to do as well for our big local comp. Plus NHC is right around the corner....

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  18. axeman9182

axeman9182

Yup. This is why I like our club's competition as far as timing. I typically have about ten entries and it helps me narrow down what my entries for NHC should be.

rcubed likes this.
  19. rcubed

rcubed

Apricot sour that had leftover peaches and nectarines in the carboy got bottled today.

liquiddegenerate and FTowne like this.
  20. DoctorM

DoctorM

Netted about 1.25 Finished bbl of an 8.5% Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy NE DIPA. Dry hopped it with 2 pounds Citra and 3.5 pounds Galaxy.

[​IMG]