What's Brewing: January 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gueze project year four is fermenting from New Year's Eve. Plan for January is a cream ale to harvest the yeast and transfer year four to a carboy.

Brewed in late December but whatever.

12 Gallons
18lbs of Pilsner
4lbs of oats

Red cedar in the mash water and red cedar and hay in the mash. Primary fermentation with Lærdal (kviek and bacteria) pitched at 90*f and let free rise, after a week I pitched my blends of brett and bacteria. Blend is some lab stuff and some wild stuff from a coolship project I had years ago.

Sample tasted really good. Going to give it another week or so before I bottle. Then it will sit in the bottles for a while.

Brewed in late December but whatever.

12 Gallons
18lbs of Pilsner
4lbs of oats

Red cedar in the mash water and red cedar and hay in the mash. Primary fermentation with Lærdal (kviek and bacteria) pitched at 90*f and let free rise, after a week I pitched my blends of brett and bacteria. Blend is some lab stuff and some wild stuff from a coolship project I had years ago.

Sample tasted really good. Going to give it another week or so before I bottle. Then it will sit in the bottles for a while.

How much cedar in the mash (I'm guessing you're using chips)? Did it get you the aroma you were looking for in the sample?

Might try to sneak in an amber saison brewday with some roasted pecans in the mash. I need to split my rye saison and do oak in half and sage honey in the other half. Also need to dryhop and keg a hoppy saison with a couple ounces of el dorado.

Haven't brewed since August, so hoping to get back on the horse this month. Just ordered ingredients for a German Pils. This is what I'm thinking:

10lbs Avangard Pils (only decent Pils malt my LHBS had)
0.25lbs Acid Malt
0.125 Melanoidin

1.25oz Hallertau 60min
1.0oz Hallertau 30min
1oz Saaz 15 min
1oz Saaz 5 min

WLP 830 (wanted to try 833, but not available)

Water (ppm): Ca- 53, Mg- 1, SO4- 72, Cl- 45

.2 ml/gal of Lactic acid to get pH in range. Didn't want to use 8oz of Acid Malt.

Still up in the air as to whether or not I'm going to do a single infusion mash or what. Kicking around the idea of doing a step mash, but that's a pain in the ass. Also thinking of pulling a decoction to go from Sacch Rest to Mash Out temp, but also a pain in the ass. If anyone has any particular technique that they prefer, I'm all ears.

Brewing the same German Pils again this month. Well, not really "the same." I really like how it turned out, but am making the following changes for this go-round:

-A friend of mine started his own malting Company in MD, so I am testing out his Pilsner malt. Upping it to 11lbs.

-Ordered some Perle hops from Yakima. Hoping it adds more of a "bite." I'm not sure the Hallertaus that I got from my LHBS were of the greatest quality.

-I'm going to do a (more) traditional lager fermentation schedule. Cold, then diacetyl rest, then lager. I fermented this last one at 66F, based on the Brulosophy experiments. I really like it, but want to go old school.

Sticking with the same yeast and water profile.

So I think I may actually brew a nice German lager/faux lager that is similar to what Sierra Nevadas oktoberfest from this past year. Their site says they use Steffi malt. Any idea what I should use for a substitute?

Proving that quote in your sig correct ;)
**** **** ass. I would have been up to 3am with just a 3 hour boil. You'd never let me live those 2 hours down. Next weekend I will boil for five hours. Next weekend I will barley-win.

About that quote though...

Yeah, you're right.

Finally going to bottle a batch that's been in my closet for 6 months. Got some bottling yeast to throw in, excited to have a batch this old.

What style of beer is it?
It's an old closet ale.

giphy.gif

It's actually a saison with a mixed culture, in fact here's the recipe:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/cellarman-friends-clone

I've been using Yeast Bay House Sour culture along with some other stuff from a friend. I think it had ECY Dirty Dozen in it.

The culture really makes it awesome, nice and sour but not like the old berliners I used to make, these have complexity and don't need fruit. The best part is how easy they are, I don't do temp control or anything, just throw them in my closet and forget about them for half a year.

Last edited:
It's an old closet ale.

giphy.gif

It's actually a saison with a mixed culture, in fact here's the recipe:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/cellarman-friends-clone

I've been using Yeast Bay House Sour culture along with some other stuff from a friend. I think it had ECY Dirty Dozen in it.

The culture really makes it awesome, nice and sour but not like the old berliners I used to make, these have complexity and don't need fruit. The best part is how easy they are, I don't do temp control or anything, just throw them in my closet and forget about them for half a year.
Nice! Tart saison is a beer I really want to dial in this year. I'm going to take a closer look at the brewtoad link!
Thanks!!

5.5 gallons of English barleywine fermenting. Four hour boil on the stove top and my wife accused me of ruining dinner.

Gonna taste so good though.
I'm always accused of ruining something during a brew day.

Interesting! How long on the first boil addition?

I'm going to follow this recipe, which calls for:

.5oz Columbus @ 60min
1oz Columbus @ 10min
3oz Columbus @ FO, steep for 30 mins
1.5oz Columbus Dry Hop
6oz Mosaic Dry Hop

But my understanding is this is the basic process for most Trillium IPA's - all Columbus in the boil/whirlpool and then change up the dry hops. Here's a list of all their hop bills from Mad Fermentationist, but they also list all their ingredients on their website:

Trillium Mettle - Citra, Amarillo and Columbus
Trillium Heavy Mettle - Citra, Amarillo and Columbus (plus 30%)
Trillium Vicinity - Galaxy (primarily), Citra, and Columbus.
Trillium FB-90 - Double dry hopped with Galaxy, Mosaic and Columbus
Trillium Public House - Chinook, Centennial, Columbus
Trillium Fort Point/DDHFP - Citra, Columbus
Trillium Congress St - Galaxy, Columbus
Trillium Melcher Street / DDH Melcher Street - Mosaic, Columbus
Trillium Sleeper St/DDHSS - El Dorado, Columbus
Trillium A Street - Amarillo, Columbus

.5oz Columbus @ 60min
1oz Columbus @ 10min
1.5oz Columbus Dry Hop
6oz Mosaic Dry Hop

But my understanding is this is the basic process for most Trillium IPA's - all Columbus in the boil/whirlpool and then change up the dry hops. Here's a list of all their hop bills from Mad Fermentationist, but they also list all their ingredients on their website:

RAndy.jpg

.5oz Columbus @ 60min
1oz Columbus @ 10min
1.5oz Columbus Dry Hop
6oz Mosaic Dry Hop

Next IPA I'm going to give this a go.

232fsp.jpg

Back