What's Brewing?: July 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman91821

Reaction score
Took about a six hour nap after my red eye home from Portland/NHC landed and now I'm up and mashed in on a grisette/table saison. Pils, a little wheat, and a touch of rye, 20 IBUs and some late additions of Hallertauer, and fermented with 3724. Estimated OG is 1.038, so should be a nice little beer to have on tap in a couple weeks.

Today I'm brewing a west coast IPA recipe that I put together. I'm curious to see if the big Columbus whirlpool in the Trillium clone I brewed translates well to a west coast recipe.

7.5 lb 2 row
7.5 lb Marris Otter
0.5 lb Wheat
0.5 lb Sugar
0.25 lb Carafoam

3 ml Hopshot 60 min
1.5 oz Warrier 60 min
4 oz Columbus Whirlpool
2 oz Centennial Whirlpool
2 oz Citra Dry Hop
2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
2 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

wy1056

Xposted from Saison thread.

Knocked out a version of this beer yesterday:

For those that homebrew or just would be interested in reading. This is a really cool group project that the Saison, Bière de Garde, and Farmhouse Ale Appreciation Society over on Facebook came up with. We did a group vote to design a recipe and some pro brewers signed up to brew it. I really like the recipe and think it will play nicely with some brett strains and some Bière de Coupage blending. Check it out and let me know if anyone brews it!

http://www.thefarmhouseobsession.com/2018/06/linternationale-homebrew-recipe.html

OEvW4BY.jpg

For 5 gallons:

7#floor malted Pilsner
1.75# torrified wheat
1.25# rye malt

85g Strisslespalt at 60 mins
56g Strisslespalt at 10 mins
28g Motueka & 14g Hallertau Blanc at 5 mins

Currently in primary on wlp565. Will likely keg this batch clean for quick consumption, and get another batch going soon on my house mixed culture

brewed enough of our house "wort" (SG1.032; pils, wheat, rye and marris otter w/ <10ibu aged hops) to fill 2 RW barrels over the weekend. 1 got our local mullberry sourced mixed-culture and the other got red wine yeast + some various brett strains. brewery smells awesome this morning!

Spruce Wild Ale.

I let some very simple golden ale sit on various dregs for two years. Then I went out and got some Norway Spruce tips, "dry spruce tipped" it, and I also made a spruce tincture with gin and added that as well. I'm pretty sure 90% of the flavor came from the tincture and I would definitely use this method again. I wasn't very precise with the spruce amount, but roughly 3-4 plastic sandwich bags worth of tips for 2 gallons of beer. I refreshed the tips in the tincture a few times so it was pretty strong.

This beer is just popping with bright spruce flavor, but is in no way harsh or astringent. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

W3kHzwE.jpg

Brewed a 1.040 Raw ale fermenting with the MTF blend on saturday.

Then I went to the new local nano-brewery and helped him do 2bbl of a light sour beer. 65 gallons of 1.037 wort, 8 shots of goodbelly, and a 1 liter starter of the MTF blend I had sectioned off. Later tonight we'll add in a big starter of Belle Saison to finish it out. Once it finishes we'll dry-hop with .5lbs per bbl of citra, crash then carb.

Brewing up my first mixed culture biere de miel.

5 lbs pils
0.5 lbs flaked rye
0.5 white wheat
1.5 lbs honey
Crystal and Azacca.

Shooting for 1.042 and hoping it'l drop down to 1.000. Planning on doing a second batch to add hibiscus and vanilla. Rolling in the boil right now.

Today I'm brewing a west coast IPA recipe that I put together. I'm curious to see if the big Columbus whirlpool in the Trillium clone I brewed translates well to a west coast recipe.

7.5 lb 2 row
7.5 lb Marris Otter
0.5 lb Wheat
0.5 lb Sugar
0.25 lb Carafoam

3 ml Hopshot 60 min
1.5 oz Warrier 60 min
4 oz Columbus Whirlpool
2 oz Centennial Whirlpool
2 oz Citra Dry Hop
2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
2 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Imperial House (edited)

I know its August but I'm drinking this now and I think its going to be the foundation for my west coast IPA's moving forward. Equal parts citrus, pine, tropical fruit and dankness. Finally got the crisp feel I've been going for, I think that 300:75 sulfate:chloride helped. Also really liking Imperial House over wy1056 for the style.

Xposted from Saison thread.

Knocked out a version of this beer yesterday:

For 5 gallons:

7#floor malted Pilsner
1.75# torrified wheat
1.25# rye malt

85g Strisslespalt at 60 mins
56g Strisslespalt at 10 mins
28g Motueka & 14g Hallertau Blanc at 5 mins

Currently in primary on wlp565. Will likely keg this batch clean for quick consumption, and get another batch going soon on my house mixed culture

I gave this recipe a whirl last night as well. I brewed a 10 gallon batch that I split and pitched wyeast Belgian saison + Brett b in one, and Belgian saison + Brett c in the other. I couldn’t source any Strisslespalt so I subbed it with Triskel... which I read is similar.

Brewing up my first mixed culture biere de miel.

5 lbs pils
0.5 lbs flaked rye
0.5 white wheat
1.5 lbs honey
Crystal and Azacca.

Shooting for 1.042 and hoping it'l drop down to 1.000. Planning on doing a second batch to add hibiscus and vanilla. Rolling in the boil right now.

Brewed the exact same beer, changing it up with a different mixed culture to compare their differences.

Latest posts

Back