What's Brewing?: July 2018

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by axeman9182, Jul 2, 2018.

1. axeman9182

axeman9182

Took about a six hour nap after my red eye home from Portland/NHC landed and now I'm up and mashed in on a grisette/table saison. Pils, a little wheat, and a touch of rye, 20 IBUs and some late additions of Hallertauer, and fermented with 3724. Estimated OG is 1.038, so should be a nice little beer to have on tap in a couple weeks.

doobiegoobie, coldcrash, Gene and 7 others like this.
  2. Rau71

Rau71

Got a new kettle w/whirlpool and a stainless mash tun, so I can do 10+ gallon batches. First batch with the bigger setup will be just 2 row and a random hop I have, or maybe a few that will be all done within the last 10 minutes, should be interesting.

3. anteater

anteater

Brewed up a super original NEIPA the other day with Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. Been testing out a lot of different hop combo's in the base recipe lately and thought it was time to return to the golden trio.

4. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

3 Gallons
    100% Pils beer
    6lbs of pils
    90 minute boil

Kveik blend fermenting between 100-105*f in the shed. Dry hopped after 3 days with .1oz of magnum, .5oz German Pearl, .05 Cascade

5. rcubed

rcubed

Too hot to brew this past weekend. Maybe this weekend. But I did get a peach cider going yesterday.

6. anteater

anteater

Today I'm brewing a west coast IPA recipe that I put together. I'm curious to see if the big Columbus whirlpool in the Trillium clone I brewed translates well to a west coast recipe.

7.5 lb 2 row
    7.5 lb Marris Otter
    0.5 lb Wheat
    0.5 lb Sugar
    0.25 lb Carafoam

3 ml Hopshot 60 min
    1.5 oz Warrier 60 min
    4 oz Columbus Whirlpool
    2 oz Centennial Whirlpool
    2 oz Citra Dry Hop
    2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
    2 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

wy1056

doobiegoobie, Kirkse and coldcrash like this.
  7. coldcrash

coldcrash

Xposted from Saison thread.

Knocked out a version of this beer yesterday:

For 5 gallons:

7#floor malted Pilsner
    1.75# torrified wheat
    1.25# rye malt

85g Strisslespalt at 60 mins
    56g Strisslespalt at 10 mins
    28g Motueka & 14g Hallertau Blanc at 5 mins

Currently in primary on wlp565. Will likely keg this batch clean for quick consumption, and get another batch going soon on my house mixed culture

8. Rau71

Rau71

Brewing up a porter, 10 gallons split into 2 English Yeasts to see which one I like more. Next time I will start playing with some adjuncts maybe.

9. rcubed

rcubed

Brewed up an ESB today. Went with EKG and some Crystal hops I got for free at Homebrew Con. Next stop for this yeast, a barleywine.

10. ncaudle

ncaudle

brewed enough of our house "wort" (SG1.032; pils, wheat, rye and marris otter w/ <10ibu aged hops) to fill 2 RW barrels over the weekend. 1 got our local mullberry sourced mixed-culture and the other got red wine yeast + some various brett strains. brewery smells awesome this morning!

11. anteater

anteater

Spruce Wild Ale.

I let some very simple golden ale sit on various dregs for two years. Then I went out and got some Norway Spruce tips, "dry spruce tipped" it, and I also made a spruce tincture with gin and added that as well. I'm pretty sure 90% of the flavor came from the tincture and I would definitely use this method again. I wasn't very precise with the spruce amount, but roughly 3-4 plastic sandwich bags worth of tips for 2 gallons of beer. I refreshed the tips in the tincture a few times so it was pretty strong.

This beer is just popping with bright spruce flavor, but is in no way harsh or astringent. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

[​IMG]

12. axeman9182

axeman9182

Got five gallons of session mead going last night. Will rack onto limes and ginger in a couple weeks.

13. axeman9182

axeman9182

5 gallons of Munich Helles currently boiling away. I'll also be bottling two gallons of meadowfoam traditional mead as is, and then I just need to order another 3 gallon carboy so I can rack the rest onto some cacao nibs.

14. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Brewed a 1.040 Raw ale fermenting with the MTF blend on saturday.

Then I went to the new local nano-brewery and helped him do 2bbl of a light sour beer. 65 gallons of 1.037 wort, 8 shots of goodbelly, and a 1 liter starter of the MTF blend I had sectioned off. Later tonight we'll add in a big starter of Belle Saison to finish it out. Once it finishes we'll dry-hop with .5lbs per bbl of citra, crash then carb.

15. agrippin

agrippin

Brewing up my first mixed culture biere de miel.

5 lbs pils
    0.5 lbs flaked rye
    0.5 white wheat
    1.5 lbs honey
    Crystal and Azacca.

Shooting for 1.042 and hoping it'l drop down to 1.000. Planning on doing a second batch to add hibiscus and vanilla. Rolling in the boil right now.

TripleSixHoppia and abawol01 like this.
  16. anteater

anteater

I know its August but I'm drinking this now and I think its going to be the foundation for my west coast IPA's moving forward. Equal parts citrus, pine, tropical fruit and dankness. Finally got the crisp feel I've been going for, I think that 300:75 sulfate:chloride helped. Also really liking Imperial House over wy1056 for the style.

smithj2154, Rau71, axeman9182 and 3 others like this.
  17. YungCoolship

YungCoolship

I gave this recipe a whirl last night as well. I brewed a 10 gallon batch that I split and pitched wyeast Belgian saison + Brett b in one, and Belgian saison + Brett c in the other. I couldn’t source any Strisslespalt so I subbed it with Triskel... which I read is similar.

meatst1ck and agrippin like this.
  18. rcubed

rcubed

Too damn hot to brew in August but the ESB I brewed up in July is now on draft. Tastes like a solid example of one.

19. agrippin

agrippin

Brewed the exact same beer, changing it up with a different mixed culture to compare their differences.