What's Brewing?: June '19 edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a saison this morning and then came to check on the temp during cool down to find an extra four gallons in the kettle from the chiller leaking. FML

That sucks. Did you dump it? If not, get some concentrated DME and sugar boiled up and add it.

That sucks. Did you dump it? If not, get some concentrated DME and sugar boiled up and add it.

Yeah I ended up dumping it all as the chiller water connection was from a normal garden hose and I have seen that have some serious impact on flavor. Thankfully I hadn't opened the new Omega saison packet that I was going to mixed in with my culture. Planning on trying again next weekend and this time keeping a better eye on things and not thinking it won't happen to me haha. Order some fresh 2019 Galaxy from YVH so I might swap that into the whirlpool and have some fun with it.

Brewed a beer for my dad coming to town in a couple weeks. Inspired by sun king’s wee mac. A Scottish-ish light ale over shot my gravity by 1.5p but for not having brewed since early may happy with how the day went plus my goal of over a month brewing is still kicking.

Last weekend I brewed a berliner-like beer with a grist of 50% white wheat, 50% floor malted pils to a gravity of 1.035. Step mashed, boiled for 20 minutes with no hops, chilled to 90°F and then pitched omega's lacto blend with an underpitch of voss kveik.

I set my temp control to hold the fermenter at 90°F ± 1°F and let it chug for ~72 hours until it was tart enough for my taste. I had originally planned on testing pH every 12 hours but the first time I pulled a sample I found out that the electrode in my meter is bad, so that idea went out of the window.

Anyway, once desired tartness was reached, I added dry hops (2:1 ratio of Motueka and Galaxy) to stall the lacto. Tomorrow will be about three days post-dry-hopping and the gravity has remained stable at 1.008, so I'm going to package tomorrow evening.

The sample I took this morning was very lemon/lime forward with hints of overripe tropical fruit around the edges (I love that voss kevik character), super dry, and pleasantly tart. Looking forward to crushing a lot of these on the patio over the coming hot days.

Finally took some time to bottle off some sour carboys. Decided to dump two that were just very blah but wound up with a good amount of bottles in the end. Sour blonde with blackberry, oude peche, and a dry hopped tart saison. I took around a gallon of the tart saison and put it on the oude peche fruit. Best part is that’s four carboys that I don’t have to stare at anymore and say “I’ll bottle those eventually”.

Back