What's Brewing?: June 2018

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by axeman9182, Jun 2, 2018.

1. axeman9182

axeman9182

Just finished mashing in with 30lbs of grain for a batch of barleywine. I'll also be kegging my first of two batches of passion fruit berliner weisse that I rebrewed for NHC finals.

2. rcubed

rcubed

I need to bottle my barleywine for NHC finals! Coming up soon. Came home from vacation and tapped the keg of IPA I brewed last month and I'm happy with the results. I read the Grisette acticle and Zymurgy and I might have to make that my next batch. But I want to use the coffee I bought on my trip on a blond ale.

3. JulianB

JulianB

Brewing a tasting-room batch of a Pliny-inspired west coast double IPA at my local brewery on their SABCO system. Recipe and comments to be posted in the IPA thread shortly.

[​IMG]

4. JCastle

JCastle

Gonna be brewing 15 gallons of King Henry-like beer this week, hopefully it'll turn out alright. Gonna age it on some rum-soaked chips, the plan is to eventually scale this recipe (or a similar one) and fill a few rum barrels.

5. meatst1ck

meatst1ck

First attempt at a sour (saison) coming along nicely. Pitched TYB Saison/Brett Blend II along with 3F and tilquin dregs. About 5 months old now and has been on ~0.25 oz/gal french oak cubes for about 4 months of that.

For not being fruited, this has a ton of apricot coming through on the nose and taste. Slightly lemony, a little sour now, and maybe just a touch acedic, but it doesn't take away from it imo. All in all I'm really excited about how this first batch is coming along and can't wait to bottle!

[​IMG]

6. rcubed

rcubed

Well I got lazy this month, probably since I don't currently have an empty keg to fill. But my club has a wort take home from the brewery we meet at so I'm getting a wit base minus the yeast and adjuncts on Wednesday. 6 gallons will get funky and the other 6 gallons will get Wyeast London ESB.

7. JCastle

JCastle

Barleywine will have to wait, turns out we didn't have English ale yeast. Brewed a dunkelweizen instead right now, wort was tasting great.

8. YungCoolship

YungCoolship

This past Friday I brewed 2 10-gallon batches with the help of my dad. The first batch was a mixed-ferm sour that I split and then copitched TYB NE Abbey/Amalgamation Brett Blend in one, and Belgian Ardennes/Beersal Blend in the other. This was the second time I followed Levi's write-up on Cantillon's Turbid Mash technique, and everything went relatively smooth other than landing a few degrees higher during the 149F rest.

The second batch brewed was a West Coast IPA modeled after Scott Janish's recipe, but I replaced flaked quinoa with flaked wheat and used Columbus/Centennial/Citra instead of Columbus/Simcoe/Citra. Again I split this batch and pitched 1318 in one and Voss Kviek in the other. This is the first time I've ever pitched Kviek... I probably should have used a blowoff tube.

9. sneakychi

sneakychi

Brewed a berliner weisse this past weekend, 50/50 pilsner and wheat malt. Kettle sour with some lacto-pills for two days. Doesn't measure pH, but sampled it and as it's unfermented it was sweet almost honey like, moderately sour, very present wheat/hay, the sourness is rhubarb like. Hopefully it will turn out rather ok! Was planning on dry-hopping it and the only hop I have at home that's not super old is Ekuanot, thoughts/suggestions about this? (It's a no-hop beer this far)

Really need to upgrade my equipment rather soon, my brewkettle is kinda messed up with faulty thermostat and/or overheating protection so it shutsdown from time to time (it's hard to get past 80°C, so this is a no-boil brew).