What's Brewing?: June 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to bottle my barleywine for NHC finals! Coming up soon. Came home from vacation and tapped the keg of IPA I brewed last month and I'm happy with the results. I read the Grisette acticle and Zymurgy and I might have to make that my next batch. But I want to use the coffee I bought on my trip on a blond ale.

Brewing a tasting-room batch of a Pliny-inspired west coast double IPA at my local brewery on their SABCO system. Recipe and comments to be posted in the IPA thread shortly.

GyU3kfJ.jpg

First attempt at a sour (saison) coming along nicely. Pitched TYB Saison/Brett Blend II along with 3F and tilquin dregs. About 5 months old now and has been on ~0.25 oz/gal french oak cubes for about 4 months of that.

For not being fruited, this has a ton of apricot coming through on the nose and taste. Slightly lemony, a little sour now, and maybe just a touch acedic, but it doesn't take away from it imo. All in all I'm really excited about how this first batch is coming along and can't wait to bottle!

tlyFy9k.jpg

Gonna be brewing 15 gallons of King Henry-like beer this week, hopefully it'll turn out alright. Gonna age it on some rum-soaked chips, the plan is to eventually scale this recipe (or a similar one) and fill a few rum barrels.
Barleywine will have to wait, turns out we didn't have English ale yeast. Brewed a dunkelweizen instead right now, wort was tasting great.

This past Friday I brewed 2 10-gallon batches with the help of my dad. The first batch was a mixed-ferm sour that I split and then copitched TYB NE Abbey/Amalgamation Brett Blend in one, and Belgian Ardennes/Beersal Blend in the other. This was the second time I followed Levi's write-up on Cantillon's Turbid Mash technique, and everything went relatively smooth other than landing a few degrees higher during the 149F rest.

The second batch brewed was a West Coast IPA modeled after Scott Janish's recipe, but I replaced flaked quinoa with flaked wheat and used Columbus/Centennial/Citra instead of Columbus/Simcoe/Citra. Again I split this batch and pitched 1318 in one and Voss Kviek in the other. This is the first time I've ever pitched Kviek... I probably should have used a blowoff tube.

Brewed a berliner weisse this past weekend, 50/50 pilsner and wheat malt. Kettle sour with some lacto-pills for two days. Doesn't measure pH, but sampled it and as it's unfermented it was sweet almost honey like, moderately sour, very present wheat/hay, the sourness is rhubarb like. Hopefully it will turn out rather ok! Was planning on dry-hopping it and the only hop I have at home that's not super old is Ekuanot, thoughts/suggestions about this? (It's a no-hop beer this far)

Really need to upgrade my equipment rather soon, my brewkettle is kinda messed up with faulty thermostat and/or overheating protection so it shutsdown from time to time (it's hard to get past 80°C, so this is a no-boil brew).

Meijer has 5 gallon SS pots with an inner boiler basket for $40. So I scooped one for an upgraded 3 gal BIAB set up. So I popped over to the homebrew store to pick up a few things.

4lbs 2 row
1lbs of Meijer quick oats
.2oz magnum @ 60
1oz huell melon @ 0

Kveik blend pitched at 100*f, fermenting in the barn.

This is my first non-sour beer in a while. IDK what to call this, I just grabbed crap at Meijer and the homebrew store.

Back