What's Brewing? March 2017 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FTowne1

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in months, and my saison pipeline is running low. I think I'll finally have a chance to brew again this weekend.

Probably a basic 50/50 Pils and wheat base. Not sure what hops or yeast I'll use. It'll depend on what's available at the HBS when I go shopping on Friday.

I need to get this sour brown brewed to fill my barrel when the second clean beer comes out. That will probably be it for me this month. I brewed and bottled a lot of beer the past four or five months.

I struggle uploading photos from my phone. But I brewed an IPA that was 20% Rice flakes and no sugar. Hops galaxy, centennial, Amarillo. I re-pitched cal ale from a cream ale that I brewed a week and a half ago. Fingers crossed I'm clean enough in my yeast practices as yeast management is a goal of mine for this year.

Been getting over being super sick and was going a little stir crazy so I brewed a weird saison. Goal is to get something really tropical. 1050 OG from a 2:1 ratio of Belgian pils to white wheat. Had ~5# of a white grape (Gewurztraminer I think?) that I added to primary too. Fermenting with a wine yeast (71B) and grown up JK dregs (I get a nice melon character from them). Added 15 IBUs of rakau and galaxy at end of boil to get a little more tropical character. About even CaCl to CaSO4 ratio to get mouthfeel and also added ~1oz of Hungarian M+ oak for structure since I was a bit worried about it finishing too low. Fermenting now at 62ish (for 71B to do its thing first), and will raise it considerably in a few days. Might not turn out, but it should be interesting regardless. If it works out, I'll probably do a bunch more fruit-in-primary mixed ferment beers to experiment.

Been getting over being super sick and was going a little stir crazy so I brewed a weird saison. Goal is to get something really tropical. 1050 OG from a 2:1 ratio of Belgian pils to white wheat. Had ~5# of a white grape (Gewurztraminer I think?) that I added to primary too. Fermenting with a wine yeast (71B) and grown up JK dregs (I get a nice melon character from them). Added 15 IBUs of rakau and galaxy at end of boil to get a little more tropical character. About even CaCl to CaSO4 ratio to get mouthfeel and also added ~1oz of Hungarian M+ oak for structure since I was a bit worried about it finishing too low. Fermenting now at 62ish (for 71B to do its thing first), and will raise it considerably in a few days. Might not turn out, but it should be interesting regardless. If it works out, I'll probably do a bunch more fruit-in-primary mixed ferment beers to experiment.

Damn, a lot going on there. Definitely be curious to hear how it turns out.

Row 2 Hill 56 Clone. First time using gelatin and it came out about as clear as I could have expected. Tastes pretty good for a simple and cheap recipe, but I honestly still haven't found a west coast pale/IPA recipe that I'd re-brew.

20170310_170804_zpse7piovfk.jpg

Row 2 Hill 56 Clone. First time using gelatin and it came out about as clear as I could have expected. Tastes pretty good for a simple and cheap recipe, but I honestly still haven't found a west coast pale/IPA recipe that I'd re-brew.

20170310_170804_zpse7piovfk.jpg
Where did you find the recipe? That is to this day one of the best pale ales I've tried.

I never liked that crystal malt addition in Vinny's recipe.

Yeah, its funny. I had Sticky Hands and Pliny side to side for the first time recently, two of the best IPAs out there IMO. From what research I've done, the recipes are actually pretty similar except for the crystal in Pliny. When I tried them back to back, keeping palate fatigue in mind, they tasted like the exact same beer but all I could notice in Pliny was the crystal tootsie roll flavor. I like Sticky Hands better.

Racked a blended sour beer on some montmorency cherries a week or so ago and checked it out this past weekend and found some of the cherries suspended in the beer. It looks like an action shot of them bouncing but they are just floating mid-carboy, never seen that before.

5AC266DE-B13F-4FF4-89FC-188446101842.jpg

Also, I needed to do a carb check on a blueberry sour that I bottled a few weeks ago. Picture taken after a swirl of the glass so it needs a few more weeks.

8A6580F4-6923-46EA-A2B4-1F0FC491B44A.jpg

Kegged a hazy pale ale (galaxy, citra, amarillo, motueka) too but a carb picture would be better than the gravity sample hop chunk picture.:confused:

Knocked out a quick extract lambic today. 3.5gl primary with Wyeast Belgian saison then moving to a 3gl carboy and pitching individual Wyeast microbe packs. Hoping to bottle around Thanksgiving.

Need to brew a couple sour beers this weekend. One is a pale that will be a base for a fruit beer I've meant to brew for months. The other is an oud bruin for my barrel. Probably overestimating my free time this weekend.

Weather is supposed to be beautiful today. Gonna knock out a simple Lambic today. Got a vial of bug county and some dregs that I'll use to inoculate. Eventually will be aged on red wine soaked oak and peaches.

Bottled up an blended AWA yesterday. I need to get a bigger bottling bucket so I can blend in more beer. I wasn't able to get an extra gallon of a beer that would have worked great with the six gallons I blended.
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm going to need something in the 10-15gl range when I'm ready to blend my gueuze in January.

Bottled up an blended AWA yesterday. I need to get a bigger bottling bucket so I can blend in more beer. I wasn't able to get an extra gallon of a beer that would have worked great with the six gallons I blended.
Blend in a couple of corny kegs and bottle with a picnic tap/bottling wand with a small push of co2.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm going to need something in the 10-15gl range when I'm ready to blend my gueuze in January.

I use this http://www.austinhomebrew.com/10-Gallon-Primary-Fermenter-and-Lid_p_7076.html. It's pretty decent. Plenty big and great for blending, but the lid doesn't seal at all so I just use it to cover up after sanitizing

Funny I saw a similar one on adventures in homebrewing, and was thinking just what you posted. Do you use a dip tube to get every drop?
I actually don't bottle directly from that bucket. I generally blend in it, then split it up in different fermentors on fruit or oak. The plastic on the one I got is a bit thin, but I think you can still get a light dip tube in there. Another option is to ghetto it and just attach a bottling wand to an autosiphon. This bucket is prob not the best option out there, but it's at least an option.

I'm going to watch a buddy brew this morning as an excuse to get lit before noon. Does that count?
Well that backfired. I forgot I'd been meaning to borrow his paristaltic pump to drain a barrel or two. Hope all that beer is still worth a ****.

RE: Bottling 'buckets'

Cheapest option is those 8 gallon ones at the hb store. I've got a variable capacity wine fermenter I can use for up to 25 gallons bottling, as well as a few other things and it was dirt cheap used and new ones aren't bad. Another option is the oversized corny, but those you have to luck into or pay a ton for.

Back