What's brewing March?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourBrewer

Reaction score
With one day left, this month is over. I try to brew two new sour batches every month to keep the cycle going. I think in March it will be a 3.5% abv berliner to be split between mango, guanabana (soursop) and some dry hopping.

The second batch will be a single infusion wild ale with a more complex grain bill (spelt, oats, flaked wheat), hopped to 30 IBU and pitched with Fantome Sacch and a few Brett isolates.

I'm looking forward to spring and warmer weather. I currently have 3 carboys and 2 cases of beer bottle conditioning in the kitchen. Wife is not happy about it. I told her that they stay there or I invest in a temp control solution.

I'm going to focus on low ABV, 4-5 week "grain to glass" saisons and IPA's for the upcoming spring.

I might throw in a long term project here and there. I recently finished a Ten Fidy clone that turned out to be my best beer to date. It's not an exact replica, but I'm quite happy with it. I need to get another batch of that going.

So many ideas and recipes, but not enough time and space to get it all going.

I'm looking forward to spring and warmer weather. I currently have 3 carboys and 2 cases of beer bottle conditioning in the kitchen. Wife is not happy about it. I told her that they stay there or I invest in a temp control solution.

I'm going to focus on low ABV, 4-5 week "grain to glass" saisons and IPA's for the upcoming spring.

I might throw in a long term project here and there. I recently finished a Ten Fidy clone that turned out to be my best beer to date. It's not an exact replica, but I'm quite happy with it. I need to get another batch of that going.

So many ideas and recipes, but not enough time and space to get it all going.
When it gets hot in summer I break out the Dupont strain. I love running that in the high 80s. The second batch I ever brewed was with Dupont because it was the only one to tolerate ambient temps in AZ. Before that I had only ever had a Sam Adams harvest saison. What a difference.

Just ordered two vials of Yeast Bay Wallonian. Planning on brewing 10 gallons of Saison, recipes to be determined (spelt, oats and honey are on the docket). Also hoping to brew 10 gallons of extract berliner sometime this month. Looking forward to breaking the three month brewing slumber I've been in!

I should have said "grain to bottle" in 4-5 weeks. Ready to drink in a couple weeks after that. Wish I had space for a kegging setup.
Your son will move out soon. Instant kegging space! ;) I'm moving all my carboys out of the spare bedroom to make room for the nursery. The sacrifices I'm about to make!!!

When it gets hot in summer I break out the Dupont strain. I love running that in the high 80s. The second batch I ever brewed was with Dupont because it was the only one to tolerate ambient temps in AZ. Before that I had only ever had a Sam Adams harvest saison. What a difference.
I should be able to maintain high 70's-low 80's in the summer out in the garage with a water tub. Looking forward to it! The saisons that I've made so far have fermented in the high 60's. They have a nice, fruity profile which I actually like but it'll be nice to have options.

Just ordered two vials of Yeast Bay Wallonian. Planning on brewing 10 gallons of Saison, recipes to be determined (spelt, oats and honey are on the docket). Also hoping to brew 10 gallons of extract berliner sometime this month. Looking forward to breaking the three month brewing slumber I've been in!
I did a lb of orange blossom honey in that first batch, great stuff. At the Crocketts factory it runs $30/gal in Tempe. Used the rest to make mead.

I did a lb of orange blossom honey in that first batch, great stuff. At the Crocketts factory it runs $30/gal in Tempe. Used the rest to make mead.
Share some more deets. I'm looking to brew up 10 gallons of lightly tart saison. I want 5 gallons to have some oats, spelt and wheat in the mash, pilsen to finish off the grain bill. The other 5 might get buckwheat or rye in place of the spelt. I'd like something in the Arthur range.

giphy.gif

Share some more deets. I'm looking to brew up 10 gallons of lightly tart saison. I want 5 gallons to have some oats, spelt and wheat in the mash, pilsen to finish off the grain bill. The other 5 might get buckwheat or rye in place of the spelt. I'd like something in the Arthur range.
I used the recipe from this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/petite-saison-d-ete-extract-kit.html

added a lb of honey and fermented with wyeast 3724. Kept temps between 80-90F for 6 weeks before bottling.

I plan on brewing up a nice little kolsch with a small addition of Ella hops for aroma and hopefully having it ready for my college graduation... yeeeeeee buddy. There will also be a saison some where in there too

Hit 1.055 and 1.057 on yesterday's batches. 1.054 would be the 80% I was expecting so either a little short on volume or crazy efficiency. No complaints either way. Only brewing one today and it's under 30 to go on boil, then time to prep for two more tomorrow to be done with this insanity for another year.

Went on as search for soursop and other tropical fruits. Found treasures at a south american market.

20150301_161200_zpshucp4jnv.jpg

The next berliner batch will be fruited with these: Soursop (like a blend of strawberry/banana/pineapple/coconut), mango, Andean blackberry (like loganberry), sapote (like pumpkin/yam, honey, chocolate, almond), lucuma (like sweet potato and maple) and naranjilla (like rhubarb and lime).

TNGabe What are you working with system wise? I still have an 8g kettle, and two 5 g coolers. Wish I had 2x 20g kettles for no sparge so I can do split batches. Never done a turbid, doing this weekend for ECY 20, do you think I need a bigger kettle to do a 5g batch volume wise? Also, any tips, tricks you want to share?

TNGabe What are you working with system wise? I still have an 8g kettle, and two 5 g coolers. Wish I had 2x 20g kettles for no sparge so I can do split batches. Never done a turbid, doing this weekend for ECY 20, do you think I need a bigger kettle to do a 5g batch volume wise? Also, any tips, tricks you want to share?

I used Mike Tonsmeire's turbid mash schedule and it worked well for me: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/search?q=turbid

You'd have to collect less run-off than he did given your kettle restriction. Otherwise I think it would suit you well.

Janky old rectangular cooler with a hose braid and a keggle. For 11 gallon batches, the keg isn't big enough to boil all of the wort, so I take 2-3 gallons of the final runnings and boil those seperately until there is enough room to return that wort to the main boil. Works out to be around the 2 hr mark when I'm adding the hops. I try and sparge until I hit 1.012 - 1.008, not that I check, but it's pretty easy to tell by taste when you have thoroughly sparged the living snot out of it.

With only an 8 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch, I'd think you will have to something similar. I'm shooting for 16-17 gallons and boiling it down to 11. If you're pitching ECY, I'm not sure a turbid mash is worth the effort. I think the saison yeast in there is going to rip through damn near anything. I'd suggest a step mash instead or just a high temp single step. Rest at 113 and 126 if you feel like it, before jumping up to 158 or so and then mashing out hot, 175+. That's just off the top of my head, not something I've done before. I'm not a huge fan of the bug county or bug farm for faux lambic. I think there's too much sacc in there. I'd suggest using 1/2 to 1/3 of the vial at most and supplementing with dregs from a few bottles of gueuze.

bottled the "clean" saisons that were brewed a month ago: .75gal each of Yeast Bay Wallonian and Yeast Bay Saison Blend
16084099284_4e5297c81b.jpg

the 500ml in the middle is 50/50 between the 2 - had about half a bottle of each leftover so just combined them...
there's 9-10 more gallons of these saisons w/ brett bulk aging gracefully. will probably start sampling/testing those in another 2 months then decide how I want to bottle/fruit/add more bugs/etc

while I was bottling these I opened a Imp Saison I brewed in April 2014/bottled on Jan 1 2015 that had aged on oak for about 4 months. it's kind-a Arthur Lite (except the abv on this is 8.2) really excited about this one!

Brewed the Berliner today. 50/50 wheat/2-row malts, 1oz aged hops low AA hops (10-20 IBU), pitched a neutral Sacch, a dose of Beatification-1 isolate and 2-row malt for souring. 1.030 SG.

I picked the Beat-1 isolate for it's high attenuation, nuetral flavor and good head retention/lacing. It smells like pear/peach juice.

Finally getting a chance to brew today. Doing up a fairly straight forward saison. ~79% belgian pale, 9% munich, 9% wheat, 3% acidulated. Adding some french oak cubes to primary and fermenting with built up Casey dregs, dirty dozen brett blend, and maybe some Belgian saison. Gonna go on a saison bender for a little bit (with an occasional IPA thrown in) so I'll have a bunch to blend from in a few months.

Has anyone ever done any of the Modern Times recipes from their website? All their year rounds + the coffee brown sound awesome but I have yet to have any of their product.

Has anyone ever done any of the Modern Times recipes from their website? All their year rounds + the coffee brown sound awesome but I have yet to have any of their product.
That's pretty awesome that they listed all of their recipes. I might have to give some of them a shot.

That's pretty awesome that they listed all of their recipes. I might have to give some of them a shot.
Agreed, ****ing awesome. As soon as I get around to it I'll post the actual recipe for a The Brew Kettle's White Rajah IPA. Working on getting recipes for El Lupelo Libre and Jackhammer as well. All legit straight from the source.

If you want to try some Modem Tones shelf stuff it would be a very easy goandpickitupformebro. More than happy to shoot some your way if you want to send a label.

If you want to try some Modem Tones shelf stuff it would be a very easy goandpickitupformebro. More than happy to shoot some your way if you want to send a label.
Hey man thanks for the offer, but I'm out the trade game mane. If you're ever out in CLE for some God-forsaken reason Id love to take some off your hands!

Went on as search for soursop and other tropical fruits. Found treasures at a south american market.

20150301_161200_zpshucp4jnv.jpg

The next berliner batch will be fruited with these: Soursop (like a blend of strawberry/banana/pineapple/coconut), mango, Andean blackberry (like loganberry), sapote (like pumpkin/yam, honey, chocolate, almond), lucuma (like sweet potato and maple) and naranjilla (like rhubarb and lime).

I have used the Goya Passion Fruit (Maracuja) a few times and it is great. I plan on brewing 12 gallons of Berliner in a couple weeks, 4 gallons will get passion fruit (another 4 will be plain, and the last 4 will get nectarines).

I actually have the mad fermentationist version of the coffee stout on tap right now.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/06/toasted-oat-coffee-stout.html

It is ever so slightly different than the modern times version:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/230943/black-house

I really like it, it is a nice, drinkable stout. I tossed the coffee in at the end of primary, right before kegging and I got a slight acidity from the coffee for the first week or two, but after that settled down it is drinking very nicely right now.

edit: I know at least one person likes their IPA, so that one might be nice to try:

http://dontdrinkbeer.com/2015/03/11...-tones-it-has-monstertonka-and-shiptrub-hops/

edit #2: nevermind, didn't realize it was a special seasonal.

Brewed today after a 6 month hiatus due to school. Imperial ipa, it should end up at about 8.5%:

12.5 lbs UK pale
.5 lbs torrified wheat
.25 pounds caravienne
1 pound dextrose
1 oz Chinook at 60 for bittering
6 ounces of amarillo, citra and mosaic between 15, 5 and flame out.
1056 pitched at 62, free rise to 66.

Entering this one in a competition April 25th, just barely enough turn around time.

Haven't brewed much recently. I have been brewing with a couple friends for the past 9 months or so, but things have kind of changed around recently so I won't be brewing with them as often.

I am in the process of upgrading my equipment, so as much as I've been itching to brew a batch on my own I have been putting it off. On Friday my desire to brew got the better of me, however my lazy spring break mode also took over and I brewed my laziest batch to date.

This batch will be sort of along the lines of a berliner weisse, with a little higher alcohol (1.046 OG). I did 5 gallons with 3 lbs wheat dme and 2 lbs pilsen light dme + a little sucrose. No hops, didn't even bother boiling it or even chilling it. Just brought it close to a boil and then let it cool to ~100F over a couple hours. Pitched a starter of lacto Brevis and let it rock for 24 hours before pitching a pack of Omega Yeast Brett Blend #3 that I've been meaning to use. Hopefully in a few months I will have a nice, complex beer, despite my laziness.

Just bought 2014 hops from Yakima Valley: 1# citra, 1# centennial, 1#simcoe, and 1/2# mosaic and I feel like a ****ing baller.

Been itching to brew an IPA for the kegerator, it feels lonely. Thinking of brewing the SoS clone from Homebrewtalk. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/lawsons-finest-sip-sunshine-clone-496952/

The grain bill looks awesome but will most likely sub 2 row for the belgium pale. Any recipe with 10 oz of citra can never be bad. I may however do a 50/50 split with mosaic because YOLO

Back