What's Brewing? May 2017 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithj21541

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody started this yet so here goes!
Yesterday I brewed my annual attempt at Stone RuinTen. Last couple of batches haven't quite worked out but learned from my mistakes and it is bubbling away!

3.5gl post boil
1.096 OG
13# 2-row
1# dextrose
0.75# C15

60min 1.2oz CTZ
30min 1.5oz Centennial
10min 1.5oz Centennial

Dry hop #1
2oz Citra
2oz Centennial
Dry hop #2
2oz Citra
2oz Centennial

Yeast
Rinsed a yeast cake of WLP090 SD Super from my cream ale batch last week. Hoping to get down to 1.013ish which will land at about 10.5%ish

First attempt at a NEIPA bubbling in primary on day 2 right now, brew day went almost perfect and it's smelling great! I say "almost perfect" because my goal mash temp was 152F degrees and I ended up hitting 153F. Otherwise everything was smooth and I'm pretty happy with how dialed in my process has become.

5 gallons post-boil
OG ~ 1.070
13# 2-row
1# flaked oats
1# flaked wheat
1# honey
WL 095 Burlington 1L decanted starter pitched @68F
Bittered with magnum and hop burst with a couple ounces each citra, mosaic, and eldorado in the last 5 minutes. Plans for two more ounces each citra/mosaic/eldorado for a dry hop addition when I get home from work in the morning. Over 50 batches homebrew to date and this is only my second IPA. Not used to using so many hops but it's been a ton of fun!

Have you used the WLP095 before? I used the yeast bay version a while back but could never get comfortable with.

Have you used the WLP095 before? I used the yeast bay version a while back but could never get comfortable with.
First time using it myself. Why'd you never get comfortable with it? I've read there's been some attenuation issues when this yeast is in it's first generation but I'm hoping the starter I made will help with that.

First time using it myself. Why'd you never get comfortable with it? I've read there's been some attenuation issues when this yeast is in it's first generation but I'm hoping the starter I made will help with that.
Basically just never got a consistent fermentation. Starter or no starter, I did both. I never re-pitched with it though as I wasn't comfortable with the contamination risks. I just went back to SD Super WLP090 and like it's clean profile more.

I have a 5 day old at home, along with a 3 year old. I want something to just make to have kegged in a few weeks. Since I am so tired that I feel zombie-like, I am doing a quick extract batch tonight. Simple Saison with 3726.

I haven't brewed extract for several years....but I'm actually ****ing pumped about it. Haven't been this pumped for a brew day in a while. The thought of less time, less cleanup, and less "thinking" has my loins tingling.

I brewed what was supposed to be a west coast ipa with Northern Discovery (wild Wisconsin hop) this past Saturday. It failed, adjusted on the fly and turned it into a pale ale.

Crush was too coarse for the grainfather. Which made me finally break down and buy a grain mill.

Mixed microbe saison with Comet planned for this weekend. Nothing complicated or sexy. Just something to drink.

So . . . after opening the pouch and smelling these hops, I made the on-the-fly decision to brew a DIPA instead. Just didn't seem like the character that I wanted in a saison, especially one with brett. Just too dank for that style, from my perspective.

Should have just looked here first, like I normally do. One of the best websites going for learning about hops, in my very humble opinion.

Final character, as far as hops are concerned, is determined by oil content and percentages of each individual terpene.

This is why combining hops is SO effective.

FWIW, this reimagined beer is a 70/30 Pils/Red Wheat grist with equal amounts of Comet, Cascade, and Citra, fermented with Chico.

Also, something that may be of some interest to some in this forum. I've stopped using any hops in the boil. Everything that I use is added either at 180F or on the cold side. Thoughts?

Also, something that may be of some interest to some in this forum. I've stopped using any hops in the boil. Everything that I use is added either at 180F or on the cold side. Thoughts?

I almost always do the same. Half ounce at 60 the rest at 170-180 for 30 min. If I want a little more bitterness I'll do 5 or 0 min addition.

I got a keezer recently so I'm on a mission to fill up some kegs to put on tap, so I'm brewing up a clean saison today, which I haven't done in probably years. Mostly Belgian pils with a bit of wheat and mashing at 148. Adding sterling @60 for 20ish IBUs and @10 for 10ish IBUs. I might switch that to huell melon but I haven't decided yet. Fermenting with 3726, and probably starting at 65ish and ramping up to 90ish. Pretty simple but I'm pumped for it.

I got a keezer recently so I'm on a mission to fill up some kegs to put on tap, so I'm brewing up a clean saison today, which I haven't done in probably years. Mostly Belgian pils with a bit of wheat and mashing at 148. Adding sterling @60 for 20ish IBUs and @10 for 10ish IBUs. I might switch that to huell melon but I haven't decided yet. Fermenting with 3726, and probably starting at 65ish and ramping up to 90ish. Pretty simple but I'm pumped for it.

Simple is almost always better, IMO.

Never used Huell Melon. How is it in the boil? As a dry hop?

Tough to go wrong with a nice clean 3726; sounds like the kind of beer I'll be brewing next month.

Knocked out a double brew day yesterday, Mosaic centric DIPA with a splash of citra and honey malt, then a no boil Berliner bound for some razzleberries. Don't know why I don't knock out a Berliner or a similar style while in process of brewing another beer more often, the timing of it all was pretty easy.

Knocked out a double brew day yesterday, Mosaic centric DIPA with a splash of citra and honey malt, then a no boil Berliner bound for some razzleberries. Don't know why I don't knock out a Berliner or a similar style while in process of brewing another beer more often, the timing of it all was pretty easy.
I've done this before too and you're right, don't know why I don't do it more often. Think I'll be doing the same next time I brew.

The quest to fill the keezer continues! I'm taking the afternoon off and brewing up a big ol dank west coast IPA. 80% pale malt, 15% dark munich, 5% carapils for an OG of 1070. Gonna bitter with a hopshot and use a **** ton of columbus, simcoe, comet, eureka, and maybe a little denali as late additions. I'll probably mash at 152 and ferment at 65 with US05.

The quest to fill the keezer continues! I'm taking the afternoon off and brewing up a big ol dank west coast IPA. 80% pale malt, 15% dark munich, 5% carapils for an OG of 1070.

Couple questions, if you don't mind.

How do you find that Munich works in an IPA grist? Not a big fan, myself, but I'm always looking for the opinions of others.

No dextrose? Curious as to why or why not?

Gonna bitter with a hopshot and use a **** ton of columbus, simcoe, comet, eureka, and maybe a little denali as late additions. I'll probably mash at 152 and ferment at 65 with US05.

What varietal is your hopshot? Never used it and have heard mixed results.

Have you used the three hops in bold? Curious as to what you think of them.

Which yeast did you use? Care to share a grist and hopping schedule?

5.5 gal batch

11 lbs Golden Promise
2.5 lbs white wheat
.5 lbs flaked oats
.25 lbs Crystal 20l
.5 lbs Turbinado (added right before flameout)
Single infusion mash @ 150f
Ferment @ 68f

I used TYB Vermont Ale strain. In the past I've had similar results with Wyeast 1318.

Hop schedule:
60min 1oz CTZ
15min 1oz Citra
5min 1oz Citra
Flameout/Whirlpool 3oz Citra
1st Dryhop (added at the beginning of active primary fermentation) - 3oz of Citra (bagged), pull bag 6 days after
2nd Dryhop (at kegging) - 3oz of citra (bagged), after 6 days transfer to serving keg

Anyone ever have a wyeast not puff up, pitch and be fine? It's not expired but that's what I'm facing. Or a 30-40 min drive back to get more...which isn't happening today :)

Thanks

AMAYS (Always Make A Yeast Starter)

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Took my TIPA off the first round of dry hop this morning and transferred to my dry hopping keg for round two. Gravity sample was 1.016, I was really hoping to get it to 1.014 but overall I'm really happy with his batch will keg early next week!

Holy **** its been to long since I have been on here. Been brewing like mad this month due to a friends asking me to cater his wedding with home brew. Here what I have going so far this month:

Clean Saison: 90 % german Pilzen 10 % German Vienna with a 3711 /3724 yeast combo.

Hoppy table Saison: 45 IBU saison made with 3522 Mosiac, Nelson, and Citra

House IPA: 7 hop monster house beer I always have on tap

Citra/ Amarillo pale ale: More like a light IPA really

Bavarian Hefe: Typical Wheat/pilsen with 3068. Currently smells like farts (best smelling farts ever) as its 7 days into fermentation. This is the most violent fermenting yeast, every time I use it the fermentation amazes me.

Blonde Ale: Its a summer wedding. Nothing fancy here

Also want to rant and rave about the 60L Speidel Plastic Fermenters. Best thing I have purchased for home brew in awhile. Makes 10 gallon batches a breeze.

The same thing I did but the other way around. Before I got lagering equipment I used to make a simple kolsch and then changed the yeast to make it a pilsner.

I would have preferred to brew my pils but I didn't plan ahead with growing up the yeast needed. First time brewing a Kolsch though!

Back