What's Brewing? November

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleSixHoppia

Reaction score
Traveling to my buddy's brewery to help them start their sour program on Saturday. They are in the process of cleaning out an extra space they have to add barrels and sour beer equipment, so until that is done we are kettle souring.

Knocking out 13bbl of 9p (1036ish) wort, 70% pils 30% wheat, kettle souring with Omega's blend at 90ish for 24 hours. Hoping to hit around 3.5ish pH. Boiling with late and whirlpool additions of mandarina bavaria and citra. Ferment with the house blend of 3711 and Dupont. Then aged with local pawpaw puree and dry hops and we are going to recirculate (pump over in the wine world) to see what that does.

To me low pH wort makes 3711 taste SO MUCH BETTER. It's way less phenolic. Plus that blend should rip through that wort and dry it out. I hate these kettle sours with US05 or similar that end up finishing at 2.5-3 plato (1010-1012).

Gonna do another London Ale 3 beer, full on NE IPA with this one and take a break from my Pales In Comparison experiments. Giving in to social pressure in a sense;

A lot of people seem to be chalking up the light character in my last couple hoppy beers to some imagined trick they assume I don't know that Tree House or Trillium must be doing in their bigger beers. There are certainly differences in nuance between other hoppy beers and my own, but the apples to oranges style comparison just aggravates me since I have been striving for something more delicate and crushable than a big old beer. This beer will still be far from an overbaring DIPA/IIPA, but it is not going to have any compromises.

Mash process will be tailored slightly for this one. Adding a little Vienna to the grist and condensing the recipe to scale it a bit bigger.
Traveling to my buddy's brewery to help them start their sour program on Saturday. They are in the process of cleaning out an extra space they have to add barrels and sour beer equipment, so until that is done we are kettle souring.

Knocking out 13bbl of 9p (1036ish) wort, 70% pils 30% wheat, kettle souring with Omega's blend at 90ish for 24 hours. Hoping to hit around 3.5ish pH. Boiling with late and whirlpool additions of mandarina bavaria and citra. Ferment with the house blend of 3711 and Dupont. Then aged with local pawpaw puree and dry hops and we are going to recirculate (pump over in the wine world) to see what that does.

To me low pH wort makes 3711 taste SO MUCH BETTER. It's way less phenolic. Plus that blend should rip through that wort and dry it out. I hate these kettle sours with US05 or similar that end up finishing at 2.5-3 plato (1010-1012).

Great post. Always a fan of your technical stuff on this site, be it brewing, hip hop discussion, lifting, whatever.

Not beer... :(

But I'm pretty happy with this mango n' hops kombucha. White tea, fresh diced mango, citra, mosaic and galaxy hops.

20161102_190033_zpszm0eeqtw.jpg

Image appears to be broken, but that sounds incredible. I wonder how it would work out with pineapple in place of mango...? I must experiment!

I love bottlingo_O

After many many months my grape and blackberry "lambic" were ready to bottle. The grapes are from a vine that my dad and I revived 2 years ago and begged him to keep in check. I called it "Rosé" due to the color relation to rosé wine....I wouldn't say it tastes like that though.

42350FFC-BFDE-4034-8206-5FDD7C3BE0C2.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 42350FFC-BFDE-4034-8206-5FDD7C3BE0C2.jpg

To the left is the blackberry taste test and the right is the grape/rosé

*if the image doesn't show up I'll be back soon to EDIT this post

I love bottlingo_O

After many many months my grape and blackberry "lambic" were ready to bottle. The grapes are from a vine that my dad and I revived 2 years ago and begged him to keep in check. I called it "Rosé" due to the color relation to rosé wine....I wouldn't say it tastes like that though.

To the left is the blackberry taste test and the right is the grape/rosé

*if the image doesn't show up I'll be back soon to EDIT this post
Yup, image sever was down...

42350FFC-BFDE-4034-8206-5FDD7C3BE0C2.jpg

8 bottles of each. Not nearly worth the effort it took to get these ****ers bottled.

Last edited:
So I tasted my all extract "wild saison" last night after taking a gravity reading, very happy with how it's coming along. It's been fermenting for a month and a half, down to 1.006 from 1.050.

Used White Labs Belgian Saison alongside a friends mixed culture with around 16 brett strains and some pedio according to him. I was a bit worried going all extract wouldn't be great but it's just letting the hops and culture shine. I'll probably do another all extract one with how much I like the way this one is turning out.

I think wild ales are the most forgiving when it comes to doing an all extract beer since they are so yeast dominant and dry out.

TIL That White Labs Super High Gravity does not **** around. I pitched some a while back into an imperial stout that had stopped at 1.038 (from an OG of 1.116), hoping to get down to 1.020-1.025. Kegged it today and it went all the way down to 1.012. Also brewed up a batch of pale ale, bottled my first mead (traditional), and got my second mead (raspberry melomel) started.

Sunday Funday, three way brew day with Five28 hz and Phischy. 10 gallons of Czech Pilsner and 10 gallons of IPL. 60lbs mash in. Cheers!
Houston TB Collab #1 is in the books. or fermenters as it were. This was a single mash, racked to BK, then split to a 2nd BK to make 2 different beers. 2nd time doing this and I need to get more organized. Was at a football game Sat so I spent a lot of time during the brewday doing janitor work.

Big thanks to my cobrewers bringing excellent craft and homebrew. Will be doing this again!

TIL That White Labs Super High Gravity does not **** around. I pitched some a while back into an imperial stout that had stopped at 1.038 (from an OG of 1.116), hoping to get down to 1.020-1.025. Kegged it today and it went all the way down to 1.012. Also brewed up a batch of pale ale, bottled my first mead (traditional), and got my second mead (raspberry melomel) started.
WLP099? Does it taste like fire? I wonder if that's just sacchromyces or if it has a little enzyme help.

WLP099? Does it taste like fire? I wonder if that's just sacchromyces or if it has a little enzyme help.

Yeah, 099. Gravity sample I had didn't taste too bad. Most of the fermentation was done with a blend of Wyeast 1056 and 1968, and the beer's been sitting in secondary for a few months now so it's had a little time to mellow.

Houston TB Collab #1 is in the books. or fermenters as it were. This was a single mash, racked to BK, then split to a 2nd BK to make 2 different beers. 2nd time doing this and I need to get more organized. Was at a football game Sat so I spent a lot of time during the brewday doing janitor work.

Big thanks to my cobrewers bringing excellent craft and homebrew. Will be doing this again!
Thanks for hosting! I can only dream of having a brewing area that nice.

Just received about 25 more lbs of malt from my buddy who is getting his malting business off the ground. Pale malt, roughly 2.5 SRM from the lab analysis. I have 8oz each of 2015 Mosaic and Columbus left. Going to combine the two of them, and do a pseudo-SMaSH beer. (SMaDH?)

15 lbs Pale Malt
0.5 oz Mosaic/Columbus - 60min
2.0oz Mosaic/Columbus - 5min
1.5oz Mosaic/Columbus - Hop Stand
4.0oz Mosaic/Columbus - Dry Hop
US-05 Dry Yeast

Ca- 85ppm
Mg- 5
Na- 10
SO4- 182
Cl- 48

Est pH - 5.3

I've got the itch again, going to do another extract brew this weekend. Got some rye extract this time, threw together this recipe:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/extract-rye-saison-w-trill-farmstead-brett

Going to let the saison yeast work first and then finish with the brett in a secondary.
EDIT- Nevermind, they recommend doing it alongside other yeast so I'll pitch it at the same time.

We recommend co-fermentation with any of our Belgian/Saison/Farmhouse cultures, and we've had particular success using along side our Northeastern Abbey and Saison Blend.

I've got the itch again, going to do another extract brew this weekend. Got some rye extract this time, threw together this recipe:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/extract-rye-saison-w-trill-farmstead-brett

Going to let the saison yeast work first and then finish with the brett in a secondary.
EDIT- Nevermind, they recommend doing it alongside other yeast so I'll pitch it at the same time.

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/hill-farmstead-saison.36065/

Join us!

Can't brew until the landlord fixes the fuse box and the carpenters fix the patio and side paneling :-/

i wanna knock out 3 batches of beer before I go into surgery.

Brewed a partigyle yesterday. Imperial brown ale/American brown ale. Imperial brown ale will get rye whiskey-soaked oaking. Regular ass brown ale is getting vanilla and cocoa nibs soaked in bourbon for a janky holiday beer.

Filling a few kegs this weekend.

Local fresh pressed cider fermented on Nottingham.

ErwhVlW.jpg

Golden sour rested on Chardonnay soaked oak cubes.
gqXbZDS.jpg

Second blend of same golden sour batch with black currant purée and Cabernet soaked oak cubes.
NtlfxR1.jpg

Also have 5 gallons of unpasteurized local cider fermenting naturally.

Will be brewing an imperial smoked stout this weekend.

More Betterness, I took your imperial oatmeal stout recipe that I brewed about a year ago (tasting great by the way, but still carbing up in bottles) and replaced almost all the base malt with briess cherywood smoked. About 57% of the total grain bill. There will be a lot of other strong flavors going on in this beer and it will be aged on oak for at least 6 months, so the idea is to make it as smokey as possible and then blend with other imperial stouts or barleywines if the smoke is overwhelming.

Back