What's Brewing? Oct. 16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged a DIPA Sunday and set the pressure to 35psi to get a head start on carbing. Came home from work last night and went to dial it back to serving temp to find that my CO2 tank had run empty. Can't get it back on pressure before I get home tonight, expecting this to turn into 5 gallons of oxidized mess :(.

Kegged a DIPA Sunday and set the pressure to 35psi to get a head start on carbing. Came home from work last night and went to dial it back to serving temp to find that my CO2 tank had run empty. Can't get it back on pressure before I get home tonight, expecting this to turn into 5 gallons of oxidized mess :(.

As long as you purged and the system remained closed (and you didn't lose the seal at the top) there shouldn't be any oxygen in there right? or am I missing something?

edit: also, for beers that I know are going to go quickly I often dryhop right in a bucket (for convenience) and that bucket gets opened at least twice and lets in huge amounts of air. As long as it stays cold and is drunk fast the negative effects of oxygen aren't super noticeable. Just saying that one day without CO2 should be fine.

As long as you purged and the system remained closed (and you didn't lose the seal at the top) there shouldn't be any oxygen in there right? or am I missing something?

edit: also, for beers that I know are going to go quickly I often dryhop right in a bucket (for convenience) and that bucket gets opened at least twice and lets in huge amounts of air. As long as it stays cold and is drunk fast the negative effects of oxygen aren't super noticeable. Just saying that one day without CO2 should be fine.

I purged thoroughly before racking into the keg, and then the headspace again when I first hooked the gas up, but I think I might have lost the seal at the top because when I got home last night and saw the empty CO2 tank I checked and wasn't able to offgas any CO2 from the pressure relief valve.

Checked on my doppelbock which is down to 1.025. Malt character is there but it's hot at the moment. Going to start crash it soon so I can brew up something else possibly this weekend.

Can't say I've brewed it, but looking at the recipe my only thought is that I would probably cut the Special B in half and replace with C60. I've found that a little Special B goes a long way.

Glad that you mention that, thanks!. One of the draws of that recipe for me was that it has special B in it, which I've never used. Then again I'm not sure how much dark fruit flavor I want in my RIS.

Glad that you mention that, thanks!. One of the draws of that recipe for me was that it has special B in it, which I've never used. Then again I'm not sure how much dark fruit flavor I want in my RIS.

For reference, I used 3/4lb in a batch of barleywine a couple years ago and the resulting beer had way too much of a BSDA quality to it. I've since cut it back to 1/4lb in my barleywine recipe. I think you could go bigger though in a stout since it'll have to compete against the roasted grains.

So yeah, this ended up not only being OK, but probably the best hoppy beer I've ever brewed.

Racked a BSDA, which clocked in at 10% ABV, to secondary to make room for today's brew which is a hoppy pale ale with Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin, and Mandarina Bavaria.

1578DA78-C80B-4D57-BB16-94DDAC171369_zpsft6zqxtp.jpg

NE Pale ale with 85% 2 row, 15% oats and equal parts simcoe/citra/mosaic at all additions. Been using tons of London Ale III so giving Vermont Ale from the yeast bay a go on this one.

Last night kegged the wife's Hef and a Wit. We did a hybrid single mash of German and belgian grains, then 2 boils. I screwed u the wit in 2 ways, forgot to crush the coriander and didn't ferment warm enough. It's still pretty tasty.

Need to talk to my boss about taking tomorrow off so I can brew and ipa and I lan to brew a kolsch th is weekend.

Ended up brewing a saison fermented with a blend of casey dregs, 3726, & 3724 to replace what I'm going to take out of the solera I got going. It's a 15 gallon demijohn that's been holding ~12 gal of a suuuper funky brett beer for over 2 years now (been too lazy to deal with it). Gonna take probably 9 out and use it mostly for blending with other projects. Hopefully I won't be so lazy and I'll do something like this every ~6mo or so.

Seems like a warm fermentation. At least to start with. And, no offense, I just don't get adding lactose to big RIS. It's popular to do here in Houston and making a big beer sweeter....

Seems like a warm fermentation. At least to start with. And, no offense, I just don't get adding lactose to big RIS. It's popular to do here in Houston and making a big beer sweeter....

none taken. lactose added makes it a milk stout. the brewery we brewed at (Dark Sky Brewing) did 100 recipes it's first year so they're all about trying new ****. the original idea was for a russian imperial, ended up getting coffee added and then we decided to add lactose to balance out some of the heavy roast and slightly bitter coffee flavors.

meeting with Nick, co-headbrewer and owner at DSB to work on a recipe for a SMaSH 100% Brett IPA. very excited

It's a 15 gallon demijohn that's been holding ~12 gal of a suuuper funky brett beer for over 2 years now (been too lazy to deal with it).

The struggle is real. I've lost my homebrewing stoke and have 150ish gallons to deal with.

big boy homebrew here. brewed a russian imperial coffee milk stout (if that's a thing) with my school's craft beer club at Dark Sky Brewing. og hit 1.090, their head brewer was estimating about 78% efficiency. hoping to be around 9% ABV with it.

uQTntip.jpg

dQdby2e.jpg

SJOkzDE.jpg
Big boy? That's only 5bbls. :p

big boy homebrew here. brewed a russian imperial coffee milk stout (if that's a thing) with my school's craft beer club at Dark Sky Brewing. og hit 1.090, their head brewer was estimating about 78% efficiency. hoping to be around 9% ABV with it.

uQTntip.jpg

dQdby2e.jpg

SJOkzDE.jpg

As others have said holy hell that's a high fermentation temp 002 = wlp002/ English ale yeast??... unless it's a belgian stout and even then.

Also I see 1# ? Of gypsum was added... no calcium chloride? What was mash PH?

Speaking of RIS I brewed 1 bbl of a 1.125 og RIS today with chillies and Cinammon. Mashed at 156. I have the same recipe on draft now that finished at 1.030 it's nice and chewy. Have another bbl sitting in a Rye whiskey barrel that had maple syrup aged in it before it was sold to me :-D

Last edited:
Once a year I brew a "lambic" with a traditional mash schedule. Today was year 2. Eventually I'll blend 1, 2, & 3 year into an Oude Gueze.

2 year old aged hops from my garden.

Added dregs from brewing beers.
We need to talk in a few years.

I also brewed a "lambic" style beer last weekend. First one in a few years.

Long ass mash with a long ass boil. Simple recipe with Belgian pils and wheat with aged hops (sticks and seeds included). Fun picture:
7A101FAD-9AF1-41F1-8A44-D90AD63BC414.jpg

The beer on the railing is "Face Punch with Raspberries" if anyone was around for that story.

Added some dregs from a bottle of reg. gueze from my wife's and I honeymoon trip to Cantillon and an older bottle of st. G tonight
681A9B7F-2B47-4490-AAA9-4F813CE023A5.jpg

As others have said holy hell that's a high fermentation temp 002 = wlp002/ English ale yeast??... unless it's a belgian stout and even then.

Also I see 1# ? Of gypsum was added... no calcium chloride? What was mash PH?

Speaking of RIS I brewed 1 bbl of a 1.125 og RIS today with chillies and Cinammon. Mashed at 156. I have the same recipe on draft now that finished at 1.030 it's nice and chewy. Have another bbl sitting in a Rye whiskey barrel that had maple syrup aged in it before it was sold to me :-D

honestly i don't know mash pH. i got there right when we were transferring to kettle because i had class. you're correct on english ale yeast, not 100% on why the ferment temp is that high, could be due to altitude or really high sugar content? we brew at 7000 feet here, i know boil temp is roughly 15 degrees less than sea level, and we added 55 pounds of sugar to the boil. i can ask the brewmaster when i meet with him about recipe writing for our Brett IPA

Finally got around to brewing that RIS. I was under on volume and gravity (damnit!) but its chugging away at 65 degrees. I've got way too much stuff aging in my carboys:
  • Adam clone sitting on bourbon/apple brandy & oak
  • BCBS clone sitting on oak
  • King Henry clone sitting on oak
  • Wild Blonde sitting on SARA/Orval/Jolly Pumpkin/Tilquin dregs
  • Lambic inspired beer with 100% Cantillon dregs
  • 16 month wild saison with various dregs
Not drinking at the moment so I'm going to brew my first pilsner next and not mind that its taking up fermentation chamber/kegerator while its lagering.

Wild Blonde sitting on SARA/Orval/Jolly Pumpkin/Tilquin dregs
Get any diacetyl or snot in this one? I've used dregs from several bottles of Tilquin in different beers and have gotten some crazy pedio from Tilquin that I've never had when using dregs from any of the breweries he buys wort from. Now that I think about it if I have used Girardin dregs, it hasn't been often so maybe they are the source? Or just some bad ass Flemish pedio.

Get any diacetyl or snot in this one? I've used dregs from several bottles of Tilquin in different beers and have gotten some crazy pedio from Tilquin that I've never had when using dregs from any of the breweries he buys wort from. Now that I think about it if I have used Girardin dregs, it hasn't been often so maybe they are the source? Or just some bad ass Flemish pedio.

Haven't even sampled it yet so I have no clue, its maybe 6 months old at this point so it might be time to check. I did get crazy pedio sickness in my wild saison from Cantillon dregs. Cleared up after 4 or 5 months maybe and tasted great. I'm expecting the portion I already bottled to get sick in the bottle too though, and not sure how patient I'll be before I crack one to check.

I'm finally brewing this weekend. Another single hop New England style IPA with Loal. I guess it's more of a pale ale at 5.5%.

The question is, do I use the remaining 4oz for a total of a pound or stick with the 12oz.

1oz Columbus at FW
3oz Loral at FO
3oz Loral whirlpool for 30min
3oz Loral DH for 6days
3oz Loral DH for 3days

as an update to the questions about why the ferment temp was so high on the Russian Imperial Coffee Milk Stout: I asked the head brewer at the brewery I work for (she also used to brew for DFH), and she said that 70-72 isn't outlandishly high for an ale strain, and that also fermenting at that temperature causes the yeast to eat any off flavor chemicals they may have produced

Back