What's Brewing? Sept. 16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirkzoo1

Reaction score
Brewed up a fresh hopped blonde ale

10lbs Organic 2-row
2.5 oz wet hops in the mash
2.5 oz wet hops FWH
1lb wet hops 30 minute whirlpool
1lb wet hops dryhop
2nd generation 1056, 1.25L starter

Also, tried a new technique, I made a batch of mead in the middle of the brewday

12lbs - Mostly Mesquite Honey from Trader Joes
Lavlin 71B
Might add 14lbs of chokecherries I harvested from some nearby trees or might use the mead for a different project (homebrew club "iron brewer" competition where you have to use some preselected ingredients)

While I was heating up my sparge water (I batch sparge) I included an extra gallon of water in the kettle. I began the batch sparge and left one gallon of hot water in the kettle. While the batch sparge was resting I added some cold water to bring it down to ~100F. Added the honey and stirred, brought the kettle inside.

Finished my batch sparge and put the main kettle on the burner to come to a boil. While it was coming to a boil I went back inside and got the last of the honey out of the containers then topped up with cold water. So now I get a 5 gallon batch of mead out of my brewday without taking any extra time. Definitely going to be using this technique again in the future.

Fresh Hops:

Brewday:

B9lrg4e.jpg

Hops in the Mash, because why not:

saeDyj3.jpg

Assistant Brewer controlling the output while chilling:

lOqsOlw.jpg

Brewday playlist:

Hopefully at some point this weekend I'll be brewing a saison.

10 lbs Belgian pils
5 lbs white wheat
0.5 lbs aromatic
0.5 lbs flaked oats
0.5 lbs flaked wheat

1 oz topaz fwh
1 oz mosaic at flameout

3724 yeast and Omega Brett blend in secondary

Brewing the base for an all Pennsylvania Ingredient Saison next week. Pale malt, raw spelt, 25 IBU local grown cascades and fermented with some wild yeast I was able to catch back in april by leaving a jar of starter wort out overnight. I've been stepping the yeast up since then. Smells really good and seems to have a wide variety of brett and souring bacteria. The plan is to let it go until dryness then transfer it onto local Paw Paw fruit that I will pick in the next couple weeks and freeze until the beer is ready.

This is definitely on my "to brew" list. Are you doing a clone recipe or something of your own?

It's loosely based on Jamil's recipe.

For 6 gallons:

15 lbs. Munich 10L
5 lbs. German Pilsner
2 lbs. Caravienne
1 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Melanoiden
0.5 lb. Victory

Just going to do a single hop addition of Magnum for about 26 IBUs. I have a slurry of WLP833 going for it.

5 gallons of Pilsner Urquell clone and 5 gallons of Imperial IPA kegged today.
5 gallons of pumpkin barleywine sitting in secondary that I could keg whenever. Probably early October.
5 gallons of saison still in primary
12 gallons of different mixed culture beers just doing their thing.

I think I'm done brewing for a bit.

same. i wanna try a lager wine after drinking some bride maker...

I'm basically waiting on getting a BrewJacket for Christmas and then probably jumping in with a pils and a helles to get some practice. Then it's eisbock time.

About to get started on a batch of Double IPA, my fifth and final consecutive weekend brewing. Really excited about this one, as I brewed this recipe with Simcoe and Amarillo in the summer and I was really happy with how it came out and how the malt bill balanced the beer. Keeping that the same this time around but using Citra and Galaxy instead for hops.

1 batch will be kept neat, the other will be oaked, possibly some tart cherries. And both will be ready in about a year. Also, if anyone knows of a brewery making Adambier other than Hair of the Dog or Saint Arnold, please let me know.

Block 15 made one called Wildfire. Quite different from Adam, it was actually tart like a traditional adambier. Pretty good but also kind of weird.

Did you brew the Adam recipe? I brewed that one up earlier this year and its been sitting on oak for about 4 months now.

Busy day today. IllbeBOCK built a sweet new mash tun with a 72qt cooler while I bottled a batch of our brown ale. Then we brewed an experimental beer. Pumpkin ale brewed with lactose and coffee. I'm calling it Basic White *****. Using my new chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. Hopefully it turns out well.

Stepped up some dregs from Jester King and Sanctification over the past three weeks. Brewed a Saison (pale malt, flaked wheat, flaked oats) with 4oz of Nelson Sauvin at Flameout.

The Sanctification I got the yeast from was a great balance of funk and tartness. The Jester King dregs were from Le Petit Prince. The starter is tart and fruity.

Hoping it all works well together.

I am brewing a pale ale with the malt bill of Fort point and the hops and yeast of focal banger. Just waiting for the wort to come to a boil.

Mind sharing what you mean by FP malt bill? Any pearl in there? I've been wanting to try an IPA recipe with all English malts/yeast and then a combo of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy

Mind sharing what you mean by FP malt bill? Any pearl in there? I've been wanting to try an IPA recipe with all English malts/yeast and then a combo of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy

The recipe came from byo. I scaled the malt to my system.

80% 2row pale
13% wheat
5% carapils
2% C20 (should be c15)

I dusted off the equipment yesterday and banged out a split batch of saison/wheat ipa
60% 2 row
40% white wheat

The ipa got continuously hopped with my homegrown magnum/cascades.
The saison got late editions of both.

IPA was bubbling away 7 hours later with a smack pack of london ale.
Saison is lagging behind with american farmhouse blend.

Finally got a brew in the other day. My equipment is still in a corner in my garage after the move, so I brewed on my buddy's 15g system and broke off 6. We brewed up a fairly straight forward saison (90% belgian pils, 10% oats) that I'm fermenting with a blend of 3726, 3724, and grown up Casey dregs. I put 4.5g in one carboy, and put another 1.5g on 1g of blueberry juice. I'm eventually gonna put the blueberry version on IQF wild blueberries to get a crazy fruity tart saison. We'll see how that goes but I'm excited to see what's up with adding fruit to primary.

Ended up putting 5 gal blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry melomel in a keg yesterday. Going to cold crash to get anything still in suspension out (racked pretty clear though) and then bottle that **** up. Next up is to bottle the weed mead I've had going...

Also racked a tart mixed ferment on raspberries yesterday. It's a 3 gallon blend of 2 tart saisons that were blended and aged together for a year (i.e., I was too lazy to bottle it). I wanted to do 2# red raspberries, 2# purple, 2# black, but I got too stoned and did 2# red and 4# black instead. For some reason I then added 2# more red so I got 4# of each now on the 3g ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ended up putting 5 gal blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry melomel in a keg yesterday. Going to cold crash to get anything still in suspension out (racked pretty clear though) and then bottle that **** up. Next up is to bottle the weed mead I've had going...

Also racked a tart mixed ferment on raspberries yesterday. It's a 3 gallon blend of 2 tart saisons that were blended and aged together for a year (i.e., I was too lazy to bottle it). I wanted to do 2# red raspberries, 2# purple, 2# black, but I got too stoned and did 2# red and 4# black instead. For some reason I then added 2# more red so I got 4# of each now on the 3g ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5cc175b7efc7fec12549b0662f7af226.jpg

Haven't brewed all month... I want to do brew two beers back to back so I can have them on tap at the same time. I was thinking maybe the same NEIPA, one 100% Galaxy, one 100% Mosaic. Or maybe a NEIPA and West Coast IPA with the same hop schedule, but different grain bills and yeast. Or maybe I should brew a stout under 12% for once in my life.

5 gallons of Pilsner Urquell clone and 5 gallons of Imperial IPA kegged today.
5 gallons of pumpkin barleywine sitting in secondary that I could keg whenever. Probably early October.
5 gallons of saison still in primary
12 gallons of different mixed culture beers just doing their thing.

I think I'm done brewing for a bit.
Urquell clone was a buttery mess. Dumped it.

Pumpkin barleywine tastes more like a spiced Christmas ale. Meh.

Urquell clone was a buttery mess. Dumped it.

Pumpkin barleywine tastes more like a spiced Christmas ale. Meh.
You could have attempted to save it by pitching a yeast cake from another beer in hopes it would clean up the diacetyl. But if you had already carbed it up, yeah, no saving it.

Bottle the other one, pepole go crazy for it. Give it away as gifts.

Back