What's Brewing: September 2018

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by axeman9182, Sep 1, 2018.

1. axeman9182

axeman9182

Currently mashed in on a pilsner wherein I'll be trying out the new American Noble hop products. Basically they're the other half of what happens when regular hops get turned into cryo. So American Noble Mosaic is only about 2.7% AA and is supposed to have more of a noble hop character with just a hint of regular Mosaic's character. So I'll be using that instead of traditional noble hops late in the boil/at flameout. Curious to see how it comes out.

MooseLang, oldp0rt, agrippin and 6 others like this.
  2. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

15 gallons of a low ABV pils and wheat beer. Primary fermentation with the kveik I dried last time. I pulled 200ml of wort from the first running of the mash, chilled it down, and pitched in the dried yeast. 1 hour later it was already showing signs of active fermentation.

15 lbs pils
    5lbs wheat

No boil only pasteurized at 160*f. Chilled to 100*f and pitched the 1 hour starter of dried MTF blend. I maybe put 5 grams of yeast in the starter. In a few days I'll pitch all my brett and bacteria.

3. Yooper

Yooper Administrator Staff Member

I have a bunch of those noble hops. Please report back on how "mosaic-y" they turn out to be. I haven't used any of the noble or cryo hops yet, and they are in the freezer waiting to be used. I'm just not sure how to use them yet.

4. rcubed

rcubed

I went bine to kettle with my homegrown Centennial and Chinook hops. Just a small amount of Pekko hops to bitter and then progressively larger wet hop additions from 10 minutes to whirlpool. I’m also trying out Great Western’s Pale High Color malt for 100% of the grist. Pitched a packet of Mangrove Jacks west coast yeast. Using up some the ingredients I got at Homebrew Con.

5. axeman9182

axeman9182

Will do. I used 2oz total, same as I did with actual noble hops last time, so curious to see exactly how these come across.

6. Yooper

Yooper Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to use most of the cryo hops on an IPA if I get off my lazy butt and brew in the next week or so. I brew 11 gallon batches, and I have a freezer full of hops but I've never used any of the cryo hops yet so I'm interested in seeing how they do in a moderate American IPA.

7. axeman9182

axeman9182

Knocked out 5 gallons of Duvel clone today, and also kegged my ginger and lime mead.

8. coldcrash

coldcrash

Kegged my brown ale today, after my virgin run with the converted sanke primary

smithj2154, Yooper, MooseLang and 7 others like this.
  9. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Where did you get that tri clamp racking arm?

MooseLang and coldcrash like this.
  10. coldcrash

coldcrash

11. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

Imperial Thai Tea Milk Stout on rum soaked oak chips .

12. MooseLang

MooseLang

I have a ton of grain that my buddy hooked me up with (https://www.instagram.com/darkcloudmalthouse/), so I need to motivate myself to get some more brewing in the works.

This weekend, I'm kegging a Saison I did with their Pils, Wheat, and Rye. 2oz of Mosaic at 10 minutes for just enough bitterness and some of that delicious Mosaic character. Used Omega Belgian Saison II, which sounds like Blaugies yeast from their description.

Going to try to brew an Oktoberfest beer this weekend. Have a big starter of WLP 830 that I will step up one more time before the weekend. The Dark Cloud Munich is supposedly 23 SRM, so I had to rework my recipe a bit. Going with 5lbs Vienna, 2lbs Dark Munich, 3.5lbs Pils, and a touch of Melanoidin and Acid malt. All base malts are from Dark Cloud.

We'll see how she turns out. I'll probably do a single decoction, which I haven't done since I converted to BIAB.

13. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

3 gallons of 100% pils raw beer. I pulled off about 2 pints worth of wort and boiled 2oz of Saaz hops to create a hop tea. I boiled for an hour while the rest of the beer was mashing. Then I strained the tea and added it to the unboiled portion. I brought the whole thing up to 170*f and whirlpooled an additional 1oz of saaz for 15 minutes. I then chilled to 90*f and added 1 gram of home dried kveik blend.

14. coldcrash

coldcrash

Where in Maryland are they located? Just curious; didn’t see it on their website

15. MooseLang

MooseLang

They’re in Howard County. Not sure exactly where. You can buy their malt at MDHB.com or I can pack some up and ship it. He loaded me up with wheat, Munich, Vienna and rye last time I saw him.

coldcrash likes this.
  16. smithj2154

smithj2154

First brewing activity in the new house! Bottled my 3yr lambic that I had been aging on peach's from a neighbor's tree.
    [​IMG]

coldcrash, mborden, rcubed and 7 others like this.
  17. cornboy

cornboy

First time homebrewing in a couple months. Today I brewed 5 gallons of 1.045 OG saison with Admiral pils, umalted wheat, vienna, flaked oats, and a touch of acidulated malt. Used 1 oz of saaz @ 30 min and 2 oz each of hallertau blanc and nelson in whirlpool. Goal of this is to make a low ABV and hoppy saison to blend with a mature mixed fermentation saison that turned out more acidic than I like.

18. smithj2154

smithj2154

You seem to be all in on the raw beer. I've re-read this post a bunch and am fascinated. Why make the tea? Is that to get some hop bitterness without boiling the entire batch?

TripleSixHoppia likes this.
  19. TripleSixHoppia

TripleSixHoppia

Traditionally farmers couldn’t afford a copper kettle big enough to boil the whole batch, so they would use a smaller kettle to isomerize the hops. The mash and lautering tons were made of wood. They could use hot stones to help heat the mash but the stones wouldn’t sustain a boil for very long.

I’m finding raw Pilsner beers give a very pleasant malt flavor. It taste the way fresh milled Pilsner smells. If you pair it with a pretty fast acting yeast like Kveik or other Northern European yeast, you can get super fresh beer. Beers that are going grain to glass in less than 7 days.

I really enjoyed the last pils beer I made. My blend has a couple Lactic Acid Bacteria. One way to stop them is to add hops. So to get the same raw pils flavor and inbibit the LAB, I make a hop tea. Whether it was know or not, it seems farmers in Northern Europe used hops to the same effect. Along with drying yeast, farmers in Northern Europe seemed to be able to make clean beer without the aid of modern technology.

I like to try a lot of processes out and see how they fit my style of brewing. It could come out shit, but you never know until you try.

20. coldcrash

coldcrash

Interesting. I’ll check them out next time I’m at MDHB. Thanks!

Beerontwowheels and MooseLang like this.