US - Pacific What's Good Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by TheFarmBoy3, May 14, 2018.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Juncture

Juncture

I was recently in Hawaii and was disappointed in Beer Lab. Nothing really stood out to me as great, but overall it's a decent place.

Village Bottle Shop was pretty good, their selection wasn't the greatest in terms of draft, but their bottle selection is decent. I went on a Sunday and the place was pretty packed. The location is nice too, lots of cool art around the neighborhood.

lambandtunaphish, yabu and jmgrub like this.
  2. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

With the caveat that Oahu is leaps and bounds better than the Big Island beer-wise, you don't come to Hawaii for the beer (at least not yet).

I thought BeerLab was solid when I visited. Had a couple of good IPAs and a refreshing fruited gose or berliner (don't remember which).

Still need to make it over to Village Bottle Shop sometime.

jtmartino and lambandtunaphish like this.
  3. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

beerscenes and I are off to Kauai with our families in less than a month. Not excited or anything.

How are those Ola cans? I see they make it over to the island.

Also, are the Lanikai special bottles (sours, stouts, barleywine, etc.) still Oahu only?

jmgrub and beerscenes like this.
  4. jmgrub

As far as Ola goes, Ma'a Lager is my go to beach beer right now (and my go-to Ola beer in general). My favorite of the cans. Need to try the Kona Gold (pineapple cider) in cans soon.

beerscenes, FoudreGuy and rcubed like this.
  5. WICali

WICali

This is true. Regardless, the best beer on Oahu is served at the Harbor Pub, Suzie Wong's Hideaway and Arnold's. Thank me later.

jmgrub likes this.
  6. jmgrub

Just an FYI in case anyone is planning an Oahu trip for late 2019 or early 2020, Ola's investor packet that I saw at the brewery a couple of weeks ago indicates that they are opening a tasting room on Oahu (location not disclosed) late in 2019 (wouldn't be surprised if that got kicked to 2020 though).

jtmartino likes this.
  7. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

How's their IPA? Looks like that's the only can that they send over to Kauai.

jmgrub likes this.
  8. jmgrub

Satisfactory. Would be surprised if they're not also sending the Ma'a Lager (which I prefer) to Kauai, but cannot independently confirm.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  9. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Ola’s website only shows the IPA at one shop on Kauai, br I’ve also seen it at others stores on Yelp pictures. Guess I’ll just find out for myself in a couple weeks.

The vastly different distribution channels between the islands is so weird.

jmgrub likes this.
  10. jmgrub

I would be surprised if the grocery stores on Kauai didn't have more than just IPA, but lemme know what you find in a few weeks.

11. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Man, Untappd's "purchased here" function is super helpful in tracking down beers to get in Kauai next week.

Maui Makena Cloud IPA? Safeway in Kapaa.
    Ola Ma'a Lager? Foodland in Kapaa.

And people say Untappd sucks.

theLostWizard and jmgrub like this.
  12. jmgrub

Makena Cloud was solid IMO. Had it on draft a couple times a few weeks ago. Could be getting a bit on the older side at this point though.

13. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Had a great time in Kauai.

The Hawaii beer selection is much improved in the stores than it was three years ago. Lots of cans from more than just Maui now. Ola, Honolulu Beerworks, Waikiki, etc.

The selection of non Hawaiian beers is much worse than last time. Princeville Wine Market still had the same Cascade bottles they had three years ago with a “warning these are sour and there are no refunds!” sign. Didn’t see Logsdon, Belching Beaver or Eclipse anymore.

Draft on the island is a combination of InBev, Kona, Maui and Honolulu Beerworks if you’re lucky. The two breweries on the island are either uninterested in or unable to distribute outside their facilities to other places on the island which surprised me.

Had dinner at Street Burger one night which had a huge taplist that was mostly InBev (10 Barrel, Golden Road, Elysian, Goose Island, Four Peaks, etc.) with a few local taps and the only place I saw Breakside anywhere on the island. Curious how long their BCBS keg is gonna last...

Best bet is to bring your own beers and take them to Kauai Ono. Best dinner deal on the island at $60.

14. danbanana

danbanana

My wife and I will be heading to Kauai around this time next year for our 5th anniversary. Just looked up Kauai Ono and fuck yessss that will be on our list. Thanks for this.

FoudreGuy and jmgrub like this.
  15. yabu

yabu

This! x 10 !

I filled up our luggage with beer. Cold Ipa's from the states in the warm climate of kauai, was fabulous.

16. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

We drank Hill Farmstead E and a Holy Mountain Sunroom at Kauai Ono. Go with something Brett forward or without fruit to accentuate the food there.

Also drank four bottles of Floodland on beaches with proper glassware and stouts back at our place.

I’d also like to just say that Hanalei Island IPA on draft is killer. $4 happy hour pints at the Oasis restaurant at the Waipouli resort where we stayed. Galaxy hops and POG. Plus made on the Big Island and not like the bottles made in Portland.

lambandtunaphish, jmgrub and tikk like this.
  17. rcubed

rcubed

Yeah the Kona stuff brewed on the BI is good.

jmgrub likes this.
  18. jmgrub

Yeah, haven't had a bad pub beer yet. They tend to stick to a pretty safe set of styles (with an island flare), but they do them well.

rcubed likes this.
  19. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

I noticed that StreetBurger had a Kona Hibiscus Brut IPA on tap the morning we left. Looks like they're trying something slightly outside their safety wheelhouse.

jmgrub likes this.
  20. jmgrub

That's true. My downstairs neighbor works in marketing for Kona Brew and gifted me a few crowlers of that beer a week or two ago. Great for the beach. While it sounds like something more experimental for them, it still had a relatively "safe" taste to it.

lambandtunaphish and FoudreGuy like this.