What's In Your Wallet: The Credit Card Points/Rewards Thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by SeaWatchman, Aug 17, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. cneville

cneville

anyone flown united polaris? i can upgrade the san fran-auckland leg of my trip in march for 30k points per person, one way and trying to figure out if it's worth it. 13 hr flight fwiw.

2. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

The lay-flat seats are probably worth it alone for 13 hrs on-board

jtmartino, rrryanc and Gene like this.
  3. cneville

cneville

that's where i'm leaning, my wife is unconvinced because she's borderline narcoleptic and will have 0 problem sleeping no matter what. we have a dtw-sfo leg that would still be economy which is annoying.

jdd419 likes this.
  4. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

I personally haven't flown Polaris either (first trip will be in March). Looking forward to seeing what it's all about

5. franch

franch

depends what you mean by Polaris. yr talking SFO-AKL? Polaris doesn't really mean much without digging deeper. i flew J from IAD-LHR / CDG-IAD which was labeled "Polaris", but it was on a 772 and 787. the new Polaris hotness is the new 777-300s and i think they are retrofitting some 767s and maybe 777-200s this year, but i'm not sure any are delivered yet. so i'd first check to see if yr flight is on a 777-300.

reading FT, it does seem to be in the list of #PajamaService flights. the FT reviewers seem largely pleased with Polaris, and pleasing FT reviewers is extraordinarily difficult IMO.

i agree with IndianaJones -- i would upgrade to non-Polaris lie-flat J for 30k miles in a <3beat for a thirteen hour flight. is it 30k + some amount of dollars?

jtmartino likes this.
  6. cneville

cneville

it's real polaris, sfo-akl is one of the few routes that gets it and i checked the seat map. no dollars, just the change fee. i only have like 80k points right now so that's what is giving me hesitation as i'll be close to 0 for UR points but i'm thinking it's probably worth it. i'm not sure i'll be doing any intl travel anytime soon after anyway.

jtmartino likes this.
  7. franch

franch

those offers vary and disappear and come back. get it while you can. at 1.5cents per point, that's $450. would you pay $450 to upgrade? i am sure you would. get it as soon as fucking possible.

8. cneville

cneville

pulled the trigger--and united's site is fucking up (per usual) so no change fee!

[​IMG]

plus, i'm not telling my wife (who knows nothing about point collecting) so it should be a pleasant surprise for her next month.

dan, jtmartino, IndianaJones and 2 others like this.
  9. cneville

cneville

so i think united fucked up and charged me zero points along with waiving the fee! double bingo!

10. franch

franch

you shouldn't get a change fee to upgrade

11. cneville

cneville

i don't think that's true if i originally booked with points according to this chart. i wasn't offered an upgrade, it was just a re-book with a saver award that wasn't originally available.

edit: that's not fully true, but the upgrade was 30k+$1200 so i just ignored it.
    https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.html

12. franch

franch

ohhhh i misunderstood. i thought you meant you were offered an "upgrade with points" on a revenue booking in Y.

ya, i think you probably would be charged an upgrade fee there (or redeposit fee or whatever)

cneville likes this.
  13. cneville

cneville

got it. i originally had 2 coach saver awards but checked every few days to see if business saver would open. now i have 60k united miles sitting there that i wish were still in my chase acct but i might call to see if i can move them back if they don't end up getting withdrawn today.

14. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Just logged into my Amex account and noticed two different $420 charges from Venmo as well as a $1.00 pending charge from Venmo on my wife's card. I called them and they took care of it right away and are issuing her a new card, but damn that's annoying. We haven't lost the card at all, and as far as we can tell there's been no activity in her Venmo account either.

15. harrymel

harrymel

anybody else find when booking flights, your pre check is frequently somehow not attached to your ticket at check in?

I know this isn't directely related to the credit card topic, but seemingly this is the aggregate of users from what I can tell.

16. boogercrack

boogercrack

She's into razzles now.

I'm sorry.

17. rrryanc

rrryanc

Booking flights via what system?

I can't actually help as I mostly book direct, but I can think of a few different systems that might have different outcomes. I also know that you can have them attach your trusted ID number (and thus pre check) at the counter when you check in.

18. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

I flew LAX to MEL via Polaris. Loved it. You really feel superior to the poors, chortling into your 40 yo scotch and reading WSJ.

But I got it for free...

jtmartino and DenverBeerDrinker like this.
  19. harrymel

harrymel

I book direct. Happened with Alaska and American

20. rrryanc

rrryanc

Are you adding your trusted traveler number during booking? I just flew Alaska and got pre check for me, the wife, and the baby without issues.