What's In Your Wallet: The Credit Card Points/Rewards Thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by SeaWatchman, Aug 17, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

Pretty sure there's a boat as well.

2. jtmartino

jtmartino

Serious, and that's a pretty good price actually for RT for 3 people. Most RT flights from CA are ~60k ea to Italy or Spain.

flexabull likes this.
  3. sherm1016

sherm1016

4. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

Quoted for the paywall. Had to cut some.

Gonzoillini, jdhende, pjs234 and 6 others like this.
  5. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

If you had to have one single rewards card..... which one would you all keep and use the most?

6. Sage

Sage

I’m still team Barclay. Keeps everything simple and flexible.

7. jtmartino

jtmartino

Chase Sapphire Reserve.

3x points on travel and dining, with 1:1 transfer to a large number of travel partners. ~14 of which are instant conversion (e.g., turning Chase Ultimate Rewards points into United miles is an instant transaction). If you can find a good deal through Chase's own Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal, you get a 1.5x redemption on points. This means you are getting 4.5 cents per dollar spent on travel and dining. This is rare, and I end up just converting my points most of the time.

$100 toward Global Entry or Pre-Check every 4 years (so essentially your annual fee becomes $125), free Priority Pass membership (~$99 value), and tons of Travel and Purchase Protections (e.g., trip insurance, auto collision insurance, travel accident insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, purchase protection against damage or theft, item return protection, and extended warranties).

Also has Visa Infinite Concierge if you use concierge services for booking travel, events, etc.

Generally speaking, if $150/year is too much, then I'd look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred which has a lot of the same benefits but is only $95. But for the small price increase I see no reason not to use the Reserve.

jmgrub, Gonzoillini, gregkoko and 2 others like this.
  8. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Will look into this. Thinking about paying off a card outright that I’ve kept a decent amount of debt on, but thought about finding a well rounded rewards card and seeing if a balance transfer and then pay off would net me some extra perks.

jmgrub likes this.
  9. rrryanc

rrryanc

Will caveat this is only if you like to travel, and you're good about treating the points as money. Otherwise I'd go with something like the Citi double cash or similar that just pays 2% flat.

jtmartino likes this.
  10. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Not huge on travel, couple times a year maybe at best.

Would ideally just like to put our gas/groceries/amazon/etc purchasing on something and get max cash back, or other perks/point we can use for other purchases or thing with a little freedom.

Citi seemed like one they caught my eye.

jtmartino likes this.
  11. rrryanc

rrryanc

For Amazon, get their card directly. Even if you just park it in a drawer after linking it to your account, it's 5% on Amazon purchases if you have prime. Otherwise, ya, I'd look into a cash back card. Don't sleep on cards with yearly fees, as they can pay for themselves if the perks line up.

jtmartino likes this.
  12. jdhende

jdhende

It kind of makes me laugh that the banks thought these cards would be good for them originally. You have to be in pretty good financial standing to even get approved in the first place for most of them. Did they think the users were going to forget how to be savvy spenders and carry large debts all of the sudden?

That being said I thank this thread for tipping me off in the first place on the Sapphire Reserve. I signed up right before they pulled back the 100K sign up bonus. So far I've redeemed points for 4 international flights with my wife. Then between the 2 of us we have an additional 300K points banked for future travels. Everything earned by just spending money and living our lives like we would have anyways. If you are a responsible and have good enough credit scores to sign up in the first place playing the CC game is an absolute no brainer.

13. jtmartino

jtmartino

Get the Amazon card for 5% back on purchases if you're a Prime whore like I am. Then look into the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred Card: 6% cash back at grocery stores and 3% at gas stations and department stores. Rewards offset the $95 annual fee if you spend $31/week at a grocery store per this summary:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/american-express-blue-cash-preferred

rrryanc and FATSH1TTY like this.
  14. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

We do have prime. Wife usually ends up spending hundreds if not close to a thousand a month with amazon. Grocery won’t be a problem, 31 bucks is nothing a week!

Thanks for the link!

jtmartino likes this.
  15. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Thinking about making the jump from Delta to Alaska and getting their card. They’ve opened up non-stop flights between Seattle and Pittsburgh thus eliminating one of my main reasons to not fly them more regularly. My second hangup is trips to Europe, though I see they’re partnered up with Iceland Air so you can use Alaska mikes to book Iceland air flights. Does anyone have any experience doing just that?

flexabull and jtmartino like this.
  16. tehzachatak

tehzachatak

Shit, Alaska has nonstop PIT-SEA now?!?!?

17. flexabull

flexabull

I have the Alaska card. I haven't used miles to fly internationally yet, but their program seems pretty generous. It looks like for Europe you can use miles on American, British, Finnair, Condor, Emirates and Iceland Air.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/use-miles/award-charts

You also get an annual $100 companion ticket anywhere Alaska flies which is a nice little perk too.

18. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Yeah, I’ve read all of that as well and I’ll definitely get the card if I go that route. Their flight schedules leave quite a bit to be desired though, yeesh. Lots of many multiple hour layovers or next day arrivals even flying domestically. Will never fly American though. Ever.

19. flexabull

flexabull

Yeah, I definitely use Alaska (and my miles with them) to fly domestically.

20. dan

dan

My current credit card strategy is kind of all over the place. I have a wedding coming up and am thinking that I might as well take advantage of a sign-on bonus as I start paying all of my vendors (don't worry - I have cash saved up; I'm not completely charging my wedding). I signed up for a Chase MileagePlus Visa a few years back when I started my current job. I travel some for work and being in Chicago, flying United usually works out to be cheapest. The free checked bags and boarding priority benefits have definitely come in handy.

Between hotels and the wedding venue (which codes as dining), I have some big purchases coming up. I don't think I have the spending discipline for an AmEx card - so even their revamped Green card isn't appealing. The Sapphire Preferred or Reserve are the most obvious contenders - though now the Reserve's annual fee is going up to $550 and I really don't see myself benefiting from enough of the bells whistles to justify the annual fee. Obvisouly, x3 is better than x2 when it comes to points.

We aren't able to take last minute trips - and since airlines are increasingly moving towards a dynamic redemption model for flights anyway, I don't anticipate striking gold with last minute trans-Atlantic business seats. So far, I've had good redemptions with domestic flights. I'm probably not getting the most "value" out of my United miles but if I can spend 30K miles for a $500+ ticket, I won't complain.

The Preferred has a great sign-on bonus - but also an annual fee. I'm tempted to just pick an easy to use cash back card with no annual fee and be done with it. Charge hotel/dining/United flights to my MileagePlus Visa and the rest to a cash back card. Once upon a time, I would have been much more likely to play the rewards game and make the most out of my spending. That same me also stood in line for rare beer. And just like how I'm happier today to walk into a brewpub and drink what they have and not worry about what I'm missing out on, I'd rather pick a cash back card and forget about playing the cc rewards game.

I was looking at the Capital One SavorOne Cash Reward - but since it has a 3% dining category, that would work against keeping the MileagePlus Visa. Wells Fargo has a straightforward rewards card, Propel - but it doesn't sound like the rewards currency is easy to use. Is the Citi Double Cash card the best (or least worst) option to pair with my MileagePlus Visa?

Group Builder