Why does The Bruery rustle so many jimmies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
I don't get it. There are Bruery beers I like, and I'll purchase them or trade for them if I personally deem them worthwhile. There are also plenty I hate and I simply don't buy them. Why is that so hard for some people?

I'm mostly referring here to people who:

a) get offended at the idea that they will have to go $4$ to trade for Bruery beers (especially RS/HS beers) because they "aren't worth that much"

b) try to convince RS/HS members how stupid they are to pay for Bruery beers

c) get all offended by the very existence of the RS/HS themselves

If you don't like Black Tuesday (or whatever the beer in question is), or if you don't think it's worth $30 (or whatever the price tag in question is), then don't buy it and/or trade for it and/or drink it. And I'm not a member of any of their societies, but I don't get the ill will towards those who are - they aren't spending your money.

The name is all kinds of stupid, but that's another topic.

^ i agree totally they have beers i really like and when I want one of them I pay up it's a simple I want it so **** if they want X I give X what you do with your own money is your damn business...

If you don't like Black Tuesday (or whatever the beer in question is), or if you don't think it's worth $30 (or whatever the price tag in question is), then don't buy it and/or trade for it and/or drink it.
It's going to take a lot more than a simple post like this to change a very prominent element of this beer culture.
V0u0S54.gif

You know what grinds my gears? When RS/HS members try to count the $4$ as the non-discounted price. "But, I paid 300 bucks to join the RS!". YOU PREPAID FOR BEERS WITH THAT 300... AT A DISCOUNT! THAT 300 WASN'T JUST FOR THE RIGHT TO BUY BEERS! The fact is, NO ONE paid 40 bucks for Chocolate Rain.

(I'm an RS member)

I don't get it. There are Bruery beers I like, and I'll purchase them or trade for them if I personally deem them worthwhile. There are also plenty I hate and I simply don't buy them. Why is that so hard for some people?

I'm mostly referring here to people who:

a) get offended at the idea that they will have to go $4$ to trade for Bruery beers (especially RS/HS beers) because they "aren't worth that much"

b) try to convince RS/HS members how stupid they are to pay for Bruery beers

c) get all offended by the very existence of the RS/HS themselves

If you don't like Black Tuesday (or whatever the beer in question is), or if you don't think it's worth $30 (or whatever the price tag in question is), then don't buy it and/or trade for it and/or drink it. And I'm not a member of any of their societies, but I don't get the ill will towards those who are - they aren't spending your money.

The name is all kinds of stupid, but that's another topic.
rabble rabble BEETUS rabble...

Formula seems to be:

Hyped, semi-large brewery that makes a lot of good beers + a few beers that are divisive or mediocre (or just don't live up to stratospheric hype and expectations) = **** THOSE GUYS OMG SO OVERRATED/TERRIBLE

See also: Founders, Cigar City, Three Floyds

I don't think it's just that. There are plenty of people out there that appear to be fundamentally opposed to The Bruery's business model, and at the same time they demand the ability to try The Bruery's beers and get their panties in a twist when The Bruery's customers won't make those beers accessible on the terms such folks deem acceptable.

I don't think it's just that. There are plenty of people out there that appear to be fundamentally opposed to The Bruery's business model, and at the same time they demand the ability to try The Bruery's beers and get their panties in a twist when The Bruery's customers won't make those beers accessible on the terms such folks deem acceptable.
It's pretty much the same crowd who gets angry that no one agrees with them that Hop Stoopid is by far the best IPA on the market.

Ah yes, so RS/HS specifically, and their high prices. Sorry, I read it as rustle at the beers themselves. But I think the beer itself and the hype make the business model that much more rustle inducing.

^ i agree totally they have beers i really like and when I want one of them I pay up it's a simple I want it so **** if they want X I give X what you do with your own money is your damn business...

Dawg, they invented this thing called "punctuation" a little while back. I would google it if I were you. It's fun and functional!

And I have no issue with the Bruery. I think a lot of the jimmie rustling is residual from a few years back. They were one of the first breweries to make a society to whom they would send out their most coveted beers. A few years ago, a $40 beer was also pretty absurd. Between the butthurt of missing out and the price tag, plus the entitlement of beer geeks, people found things to ***** about.

And I - though a sucker for a pun - like the name.

You know what grinds my gears? When RS/HS members try to count the $4$ as the non-discounted price. "But, I paid 300 bucks to join the RS!". YOU PREPAID FOR BEERS WITH THAT 300... AT A DISCOUNT! THAT 300 WASN'T JUST FOR THE RIGHT TO BUY BEERS! The fact is, NO ONE paid 40 bucks for Chocolate Rain.

(I'm an RS member)
This is the one point that I think causes the most confusion. I personally do not feel like the discount should be included in the $4$ price. The discount is one of the benefits for giving the bruery a chunk of money upfront. Everybody has the chance to become an RS member , so if you want the discount and accesses to the beers all you have to do is give the bruery some money. Other places that people can get discounts, the discounts do not count towards the market value of the product.

Does The Bruery really rustle any more jimmies than any other brewery of similar profile? I mean, OP could be generalized to "some people are ******** and/or idiots".

BT sucks though.

They are though. How many other breweries elicit the reaction of "I want their beers but I won't pay or trade for them at face value, and you are being unreasonable if you won't trade the beers I want at the price I deem reasonable"?

I get some of what you're saying JulianB , but I think a lot of this is backlash against the fact that 3 or so years ago, some of this **** used to be STUPID hard to get and now people don't want to trade for things "you just order on the internet". But really, 2 main thinks to keep in mind (or at least I try to):

I don't buy ANY Bruery beer (or almost any beer at all) for the purpose of trading. Just buy what you want to drink/share for yourself, and all of the sudden you don't give a flying **** what other people think/do/***** about trading it, because that's not what it's for anyway!

Second, if you find yourself having a legitimate disagreement over $8 in a $4$ trade, you're already doing it wrong.

Best to just let the ****** wagons ****** along, and don't worry too much about that stuff. Get the beer you want to drink, and just let that **** roll off your back ;)

Does anyone else think that the whole "rustled jimmies" thing is a bit played out? It's getting so ubiquitous that if I heard my grandma say it I wouldn't be surprised.

(And har har, "rustle jimmies" rustles my jimmies. I don't actually mind it, I just find it curious that it's gotten this popular.)

To add something beer-related:
Second, if you find yourself having a legitimate disagreement over $8 in a $4$ trade, you're already doing it wrong.
It still amazes me that this happens. I mean, $4$ is a good guide, but I can't remember the last time I actually traded something strictly $4$.

Does anyone else think that the whole "rustled jimmies" thing is a bit played out? It's getting so ubiquitous that if I heard my grandma say it I wouldn't be surprised.

(And har har, "rustle jimmies" rustles my jimmies. I don't actually mind it, I just find it curious that it's gotten this popular.)

It still amazes me that this happens. I mean, $4$ is a good guide, but I can't remember the last time I actually traded something strictly $4$.

I'm a little disappointed that your acknowledged that your jimmies were meta-rustled.

I've never met someone whose toast was burnt so much by fads in figures of speech. My stars!

This board is the cat's pajamas.

stupac2 said:

I just figure it's part of this site's lingo/character. I'm in some other online communities where we have specific turns of phrase that we overuse but don't really beat into the ground anywhere else.

By the way, I agree with everything you guys are saying about The Bruery and quibbling over $4$. I never do it myself but I would also never get pissed at someone who Is simply trying to trade their beers at around what they paid for them.

There is an ISO where the OP is offering up the full set so far of the Christmas series including a barrel aged version of one and he got totally FLAMED for putting up the trade..
That was needless and quite asinine if you ask me !!

AMEN !!!

Best to just let the ****** wagons ****** along, and don't worry too much about that stuff. Get the beer you want to drink, and just let that **** roll off your back ;)[/quote]

I wanted to expand on this, since earlier I was posting from a phone.

I agree completely with what you're saying, and I haven't done a strict $4$ trade in a while either. Mostly it's just been slinging boxes back and forth with people whom I have a good relationship with, and getting roughly close. I suppose this thread might be somewhat ill-placed given that most posters on here don't take the attitude I'm describing, but it's prevalent on a bunch of the "other channels". I'm referring to the portion of the craft beer crowd that expect to be "cut a deal" on Bruery beers simply because they don't like the price but want them anyway. This applies to a bunch of other expensive (but not "whale") bottles as well; the Bruery is just probably the most prevalent one because they have a ton of pricier releases. This attitude seems to manifest itself far more strongly online when it comes to Bruery beers than any others. I've been multiple examples of it today alone on non-TB channels.

TL;DR (not directed at you obviously): don't be a dick when trading, and don't think someone is greedy simply because they want the beers exchanged to have cost roughly the same thing in retail.

Back