Wicked Weed Releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgh_penguins

Reaction score
Next up for Wicked Weed:
9w0SOPe.jpg

Very interested in Oblivion. Indulgence was pretty good, but not great. Amorous is solid. Black Angel is awesome. Haven't tried the rest.
There might have been some bottle variation with indulgence. Personally mine was good, but I heard some people say it tasted like buttered popcorn lol.

I'm going to miss this release but with the way bottles have been getting out on the market throughout NC, I'm not worried at all about finding one. I've had them all at this point except Serenity which I have a bottle of in the fridge and may open today.

Almost certainly planning to go up for Malice when that's released.

I'm going to miss this release but with the way bottles have been getting out on the market throughout NC, I'm not worried at all about finding one. I've had them all at this point except Serenity which I have a bottle of in the fridge and may open today.

Almost certainly planning to go up for Malice when that's released.
If you need bottles, send me your address :p. I have someone grabbing me 8 on Friday and I'm sure a case or two will hit each bottle shop like usual.

Data Dump for this new thread. Quotes separated by alternated italics.
Thanks to JulianB
pgh_penguins
andyctree

Early March 2014
Hey, Serenity was the first one they have released in bottles. There was something like 2200 500ml bottles, I think $10 per bottle or thereabouts and 4/person. I couldn't make it unfortunately, but am hoping to make a future release. Black Angel is going to be the next one (no date yet), and Malice (funky/sour saison type beer with blood orange and lime, similar to HF Grassroots Brother Soigne) is slated for some future point. Sorry for not having more exact info, it was on their social media sites (Facebook, etc.) but now it's disappeared in a flood of more recent postings.

As for the beers themselves, I haven't tried Serenity yet but I've had most of the others and they are all first class. Wicked Weed is one of the best breweries in the country in my opinion. Serenity of course won gold at GABF over Sanctification and some Crooked Stave stuff. Oblivion is similar to Consecration, Malice as mentioned is like Brother Soigne (I love both beers), Black Angel is the best black sour I've had (much more drinkable than any others that compare, such as Tart of Darkness). Their hoppy and malty beers are great too. I really think they are one of the best breweries in the southeast, and dare I say the country. Cheers!

Mid March 2014
I'm planning to go to the Black Angel release on March 22. Details so far are 500ml bottles like with Serenity, this time x12 bottles per person. Haven't seen anything about the price. 5000 bottles.
They should be able to fill 400+ orders of 12 bottles per person.
My guess would be that these will last at least a week judging from the Serenity release.
Serenity had around 200+ people in line, and the bottles lasted almost two week.

Early May 2014?
Cost and bottle counts on WW Genesis, Oblivion, and Pasiflora were/are...
I'd imagine they will be close to 13.99, I know Genesis was. I don't think they released the price on oblivion or passiflora though. Bottle count would have to be 5k at least, if not more (I think higher). The only limited ones will be the one offs, which are amorous, indulgence and passiflora so far.
Obviously some people run into mark up, which I've paid 17$ for indulgence before without thinking about it.

Sorry for the crappy reflection:

From Other Thread
As for the release is was really small. I was number 9 in line, which was really number 5 and they numbered into the 100s. The bottle sales were smooth and quick, and waitresses came out to the line to bring you beers while you waited. After like 2 minutes I had my cases and got pours of stuff. After a few pours, I bought more of the other sours and maybe around an hour I went straight to the front of the line and bought a few more oblivion and passiflora. Probably one of the best releases I've been to.

I should mention that they handed out bracelets to people that showed up early so they could walk around/get food/do whatever. Once it hit around 11:45 they started getting people in order and made sure everyone was happy with their place in line. I really appreciate everything they did, including one of their employees who helped me carry my cases to the car since my GF was holding the dog.

Edit for more context. If you look at the picture, prices range from 7.95 to 13.95. I think those are to go.

Last edited:
I've seen people with bottles of Malice, but no official release or word from Wicked Weed.

Pic from that FB group (next to the bretticent on right):
v4Q0b7T.jpg
Any word on price and flavor/quality of Hipster Noveau?
I too am curious about Malice and Medora!

Lastly, can someone who goes there soon suggest they put all of their sour beers up on the Our Beers part of the website?
Pet peeve of mine and it makes sense. Avery does a good job, even if it's in slideshow form.

Any word on price and flavor/quality of Hipster Noveau?
I too am curious about Malice and Medora!

Lastly, can someone who goes there soon suggest they put all of their sour beers up on the Our Beers part of the website?
Pet peeve of mine and it makes sense. Avery does a good job, even if it's in slideshow form.
Not a fan of Hipster, and 8.99 or 7.99.

Malice is already out? Well **** me running, might be time for an Asheville trip over one of the next couple of weekends.

There was no official announcement though, which puzzles me lol

Silently dropping new bottle releases is an approach more breweries should probably be taking, but Wicked Weed doesn't really seem like one that needs to given how organized and lacking in **** show factor all their releases have been.

I did notice on their Twitter feed something about being at Dogfish Head, so maybe this just didn't get announced because Walt and Luke aren't there.

Silently dropping new bottle releases is an approach more breweries should probably be taking, but Wicked Weed doesn't really seem like one that needs to given how organized and lacking in **** show factor all their releases have been.

I did notice on their Twitter feed something about being at Dogfish Head, so maybe this just didn't get announced because Walt and Luke aren't there.
Yeah Luke and Abby were visiting DE this past week - they'll be back soon. Finally got to try some of their bottle releases, all very solid. Proud of them.

I went to tag you in Tasters, but somehow you aren't in the group anymore :(. Anyway here is a quote from someone that got some today: "Just came from wicked weed picked up the last 8 they had.lol jk they bottled 4000 according to the girl and have plenty. As I said I picked up 8 only need 3 if anyone is interested otherwise it's down the hatch. Cheers".

I went to tag you in Tasters, but somehow you aren't in the group anymore :(. Anyway here is a quote from someone that got some today: "Just came from wicked weed picked up the last 8 they had.lol jk they bottled 4000 according to the girl and have plenty. As I said I picked up 8 only need 3 if anyone is interested otherwise it's down the hatch. Cheers".

No idea how I got booted, maybe because someone decided I'm in SC and not worthy? :( asked to rejoin. Regardless I'm not really worried about getting Wicked Weed releases anymore given the amount of distro.

No idea how I got booted, maybe because someone decided I'm in SC and not worthy? :( asked to rejoin. Regardless I'm not really worried about getting Wicked Weed releases anymore given the amount of distro.
I always have a few laying around too, if you can't find them ;)

I always have a few laying around too, if you can't find them ;)

Thanks! A friend is opening one tomorrow night so I'm not really worried one way or the other. It's been nice to reach that stage where either new releases show up or they don't and I give pretty much zero ****s.

Does Wicked Weed distribute bottles, and if so is there any chance I'll find any when I'm down in the Outer Banks on vacation next week?

Does Wicked Weed distribute bottles, and if so is there any chance I'll find any when I'm down in the Outer Banks on vacation next week?
They do, but it's very limited. I'm not sure if it makes it that far and usually the day it hits stores in the RDU.. it's gone. If you end up driving through the area, I have some.

They do, but it's very limited. I'm not sure if it makes it that far and usually the day it hits stores in the RDU.. it's gone. If you end up driving through the area, I have some.

Appreciate that. There have been a few years we've driven to Durham to spend a night with my aunt and uncle before heading on to OBX, but that's not in the plan this year :(

Lighthouse beer and wine had brettnecient and Serenity this week.

Wilmington isn't close to the outer banks though.

Meh! Too many light, simple sours and not enough dark. They need to start bottling non-sours.
They will, although I prefer the sour stuff. Now I don't have to wait for a certain time of the year to get a local sour.

I heard Freak of Nature is coming.

They need to hurry up and bottle Dark Age Bourbon Stout. My favorite beer by them.

I'd love that one to get bottled.

And I'd love them to add a canning line and start cranking out Freak in a tall boy format.

Back