Wild Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djohst

Reaction score
Seems like every time I get together with my buddies these days someone is poring me a wild ale. Don't know much about them but do know they are definitely hit or miss - Sometimes I can't wait for a second bottle to be cracked - Other times I feel like I am in some kind of mouth-puckering Hell. Any recommendations on a few I could give a try to see where I fall on the sourness scale?

Wait I made a scale a while ago...

Found it!

YDAQ7ub.png

So that should pretty much answer all your questions.

I think he's trying to "avoid" mouth puckering hell.

While still true on occasion (I'm looking at you, Rougess), their beers are rarely as overwhelmingly sour as they were a few years ago. IMO, at least.

OTOH, YMMV. LYMI. TTYL!

I tend to agree that they have balanced out the acidity in MOST of the new stuff...

Not saying that I haven't had any that melt the enamel off my teeth either. MAN UP!

If you're holding any with bacon or balsamic, hook a brother up
I owe you a box so here’s a freebie

Get a good amount of aluminum foil, roll up the edges to create kind of a bowl, place 2-3 slices of thick cut bacon in the bottom, about half a stick of butter cubed up along the bottom, slice half an onion and drop it in there, then drop a dozen or so brussel sprouts on top of it all. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Then roll that foil closed and place on a grill for 30 minutes or so depending on the temp. The hardest part is having enough foil.

I’ll do this along side a few steaks and it’s always a hit.

Get a good amount of aluminum foil, roll up the edges to create kind of a bowl, place 2-3 slices of thick cut bacon in the bottom, about half a stick of butter cubed up along the bottom, slice half an onion and drop it in there, then drop a dozen or so brussel sprouts on top of it all. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Then roll that foil closed and place on a grill for 30 minutes or so depending on the temp. The hardest part is having enough foil.

I'd be surprised if there's equal parts sprouts to that much fat.

giphy.gif

Gave the Trillium Red Currant a try today. They have this whole Fated Farmer series going. Definitely not high-end and can't speak for the other ales in the series, but this one wasn't bad. Tart but not sourly abusive. Wonder how it would be with brussel sprouts...

I spent such a stupid amount of time on a joke that doesn't really work.

Yeah, sorry, it’s pretty terrible, really. The picture/image doesn’t really line up with the sentiment of the joke. And “but still not wild ale” is just kind of an awkward phrase. And “But still not a wild ale” is only marginally better.

I get where you were going with it though. I’ll just say, C- is still a passing grade.

Yeah, sorry, it’s pretty terrible, really. The picture/image doesn’t really line up with the sentiment of the joke. And “but still not wild ale” is just kind of an awkward phrase. And “But still not a wild ale” is only marginally better.

I get where you were going with it though. I’ll just say, C- is still a passing grade.

Nah that was all kind of the point though. I think you are being unfair. I was parodying the popular lambic with something intentionally awkward. Personally I rate myself: Genius

Back