Wild beers in fresh bourbon barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snarf1

Reaction score
Help me out here. Other than the Bourbon BFM, what are some wild beers aged in fresh bourbon barrels? Lots of wild beers go into bourbon barrels that have been used to age other beers first, but I'm looking for funky/sour beers that are aged in fresh barrels.

I thought Gilgamesh/Malefactor was. Also Bourbonic Plague is, right? I'm sure there are more, but I haven't generally been impressed with them.

Love Child #3 states bourbon barrels on the label, but website says oak... so who knows. Probably not fresh.

Love Child #3 states bourbon barrels on the label, but website says oak... so who knows. Probably not fresh.

bourbon:eek:ak is like square:rectangle, right?

i would imagine bourbonic is probably fresh, last i had was very bourbony. gilgamesh had some too, but i don't think as much (never had them side by side, though).

bourbon:eek:ak is like square:rectangle, right?

Yeah I was just trying to convey that since they weren't using the bourbon in the description that they are probably not fresh barrels.

Terra Incognita
For the love of God, stay away from that beer.

I'm pretty sure that La Roja Grand Reserve and a couple of the other Jolly Pumpkin Grand Reserve beers have been made with fresh bourbon barrels. Goose made a version of Juliet aged in a fresh Buffalo Trace barrel once called Laura, but I think only a few kegs came out of that.

I'm pretty sure that La Roja Grand Reserve and a couple of the other Jolly Pumpkin Grand Reserve beers have been made with fresh bourbon barrels. Goose made a version of Juliet aged in a fresh Buffalo Trace barrel once called Laura, but I think only a few kegs came out of that.
These are both Correct. I believe Dominique (best beer ever) may have been fresh bourbon too.

Pretty sure Cascade has multiple, but most are blends <100% bourbon.

For the love of God, stay away from that beer.

You sure about the La Roja GR? Multiple interviews with Captain Spooky lead me to believe he only used bourbon barrels that have been used previously to age other beers.

You sure about the La Roja GR? Multiple interviews with Captain Spooky lead me to believe he only used bourbon barrels that have been used previously to age other beers.
I don't know for sure, but I remember hearing it somewhere. Plus the last batch was very bourbon-y.

I don't know for sure, but I remember hearing it somewhere. Plus the last batch was very bourbon-y.

In a good way? Doubt I'll get to try La Roja GR. I started this thead because I'm planning on picking up a fresh barrel soon myself. I think my local is going to help me out by filling it with stout for a bit, but it's not a big beer and won't be in there long.

In a good way? Doubt I'll get to try La Roja GR. I started this thead because I'm planning on picking up a fresh barrel soon myself. I think my local is going to help me out by filling it with stout for a bit, but it's not a big beer and won't be in there long.
Yeah, in a good way. I find that with bourbon-forward sour beers that I've had, the acidity obscures the harsher elements of the liquor, leaving sweet tannic notes of vanilla and coconut. I'm a fan of bourbony sours I've had.

La Roja can be bourbon heavy. Last time I went to the Ann arbor pub they just put it on tap and the bourbon barrels were shining in that batch.

Vagabond had a lot of bourbon in it. I hasn't age very well at all though.

I'm usually not a fan of the flavor mixture but there are exceptions.

Some may not consider them "wilds", but I believe CS Peach Whiskey Surette went into fresh barrels, and I know for a fact that Zekes Citrus Surette went into a fresh barrel. Zekes has a pretty awesome bourbon barrel character.

I have been suggesting at every opportunity that the crooked stave crew do a reserve beer in fresh bourbon barrels. Maybe they'll listen, but I'm not that big of a deal.

Biere de Mars Grand Reserve March 2009 release (Batch 3) was Bourbon aged for 16 months. Need clarification that they were fresh.

This is partially aged in bourbon barrels. You can taste the bourbon, but it's somewhat mild.

Cascade+Brewing+Vlad+the+Imp+Aler+Sour+Ale.JPG

Back