US - Northwest Work Trip to Spokane in March

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Lognar, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. JesusTom!

JesusTom!

Beeringham, WA, USA, North America, Earth
    Oh, when I get drunk in Seatthole, I need the Dicks. And the fries, and a chocolate shake.Just wish they'd make a fucking T-shirt in my damn size!

2. harrymel

harrymel

I think:

Pho: Vina >>>> Pho Van
    Sushi: none are very good if you're versed in sushi, maybe Sushi Yama as the guy drives out and hand picks all his cuts, but be prepared for shitty service

Steak: don't. People love Churchill's, but meh.
    Italian: Italia Trattoria is one of the best places to eat Italian that isn't just mashed up tomatoes in a sauce.
    Gordy's is good Szechuan
    Waddell's is good pub fare

That took me several minutes, I'm not Joe.

Lognar likes this.
  3. JoeLikesBeer

JoeLikesBeer

Oh and the Flying Goat has great pizza and beer. Apologies to SaltyMalty for the lack of love to the Audubon park area in my other reply.

Lognar and hamberder like this.
  4. JoeLikesBeer

JoeLikesBeer

Hey Lognar, How bout a trip report? We like those in the Northwest.

5. Lognar

Lognar

Ok ok...

Unfortunately, I didn't hit a lot of local food joints due to location, time constraints, and our vendor paying for lunch and dinner most days.

Sunday - Dinner at the Flying Goat. Had "The Kiernan" and Maui Coconut Porter. Pizza was fantastic, but not so much the beer. Bought a Flying Goat mug for dat #localglassware.

Monday - HuHot for lunch. Damn good Mongolian joint, but then again again I'm a sucker for a bunch of food bits mixed together on a plate.

Manito Tap House with SaltyMalty and tennispl. Highlight of the trip for me! Great food, amazing place, and excellent people! The staff was awesome at Manito. SaltyMalty brought gifts for tennispl and I, and SaltyMalty and tennispl brought beers to share with myself and the staff at Manito. I had Bale Breaker Topcutter and damn son! Zombie Dust better watch its back. Srs. SaltyMalty gave me a lift back to my hotel and stopped at a few bottle shops on the way and I was able to score a huge want with Ninkasi Critical Hit Barleywine (I love nerdy D&D themed beer labels).

Tuesday - Flaming Joes for lunch. Wasabi Wings were my jam. Would bang again. Also hit up Total Wine, Bottles, and Enoteca in the afternoon. Total haul was: Midnight Sun Fallen Angel, Avery Demons of Ale set, Fremont KDS, Epic Big Bad Baptist, and some Bale Breaker Top Cutter. I had to limit myself because A) I could have gone crazy B) suitcase space and C) I am swapping boxes with tennispl this week. Sorry tennispl is you were sending me duplicates of any of the beers I picked up (don't tell me if you did), but trust me that I won't mind doubles of any of these for sure.

Wednesday - Irish pub on Sprague for lunch. I reubened and it was pretty good. The bread and corned beef were fantastic! Dinner with the vendor I was meeting with at Twigs - I had the Cordon Bleu pizza, a Manhattan, and Laphroaig 10 for desert. Pizza was very hnnnnnggggx10 but Manhattan was meh.

All in all, I really loved the Spokane area. It was wonderful to meet up with William and Peter. The beer shelves in Spokane were crazy! Sucaba, Double DBA, and XVII just turding it up all over the place. Again, Bale Break Topcutter was a definite surprise and is an unbelievably good IPA.

One regret was missing out on getting to Selkirk Abbey, but they close at 7 every day and there just wasn't time to make it over. Would have loved to have grabbed a flight (everything sounded amazing) and some glassware. I regret not grabbing a few bombers at Total Wine now. :-(

Not the most exciting trip, I know, but Manito with William and Peter really made the trip for me. Thanks guys for the evening, the hospitality, and the generousity!

libbey, bum732, JesusTom! and 3 others like this.
  6. tennispl

tennispl

You got it bud, come back soon for an encore!

JoeLikesBeer and Lognar like this.
  7. JesusTom!

JesusTom!

Beeringham, WA, USA, North America, Earth
    Now, don't you go telling all your FIB buddies about Bale Breaker! That's our little secret.

Lognar and JoeLikesBeer like this.
  8. bigred

bigred

Cool thread, I'm heading out to Spokane for a few days with my wife and daughter in May and all this info seems pretty useful.

Any recommendations for sights to see, things to do, places to hike?

9. harrymel

harrymel

How old is daughter?
    What kind of hikes? intensity and duration would be nice to know
    Are you going to be here for Bloomsday? (first weekend in May) - if so, there might be a Deschutes brewer's dinner in town that might have some BB XXII on draft (preliminary info, no guarantees)

10. bigred

bigred

I'll be in town from May 14th through the 17th or so. My daughter is six. Day hikes up to 4 or 5 hours would probably be what we're looking for. Don't mind driving an hour so to go somewhere. High intensity is no problem and actually preferred.

It looks like Mt. Spokane may have some options that would work, and another thought is possibly heading to the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. We'll be heading to Montana when we leave Spokane so any really cool hikes in/around the C'oeur D'Alene National Forest could work too.

11. JoeLikesBeer

JoeLikesBeer

Turnbull is nice that time of year but not really any sort of workout. Very flat. Mt Spokane is beautiful but you may have pretty soggy conditions that time of year and probably ice/snow in a lot of places.

A good 3-4 hour hike with a six year old would be the Liberty Lake loop, which is not too far off I-90 as you go east. Another favorite of mine is the Stevens creek trail to big rock - http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/big-rock If your daughter is the scamper-up-a-boulder type, she'll love that one.

We also have a lot of options basically in the middle of town. Dishman Hills, Shields Park/Minehaha, Bowl and Pitcher.

Spokane fucking rules.

12. harrymel

harrymel

ditto JoeLikesBeer, comments.

Also a good photo op for the young ones if the Radio Flyer wagon in downtown.

13. bigred

bigred

Thanks gents, we'll definitely check those places out. Cheers!