World famous chef spends night at Mikkeller; swears off good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Discussed this in another location (cc: RochesterAaron). Chang makes great food (I haven't personally had it, but I hear good things, and I like what I have cooked out of his cookbook), but singling out beer in this conversation is retarded.

Your phrasing in the title though, spot on.

archer_phrasing.jpg

archer_phrasing.jpg

I got absolutely no love on twitter for it though. I was so excited when I thought of it.

Also the following debate on social media is painful already. It's brutal.

My thoughts: who cares - he doesn't say he hates good beer, just that he likes shitty beer. Eh. I can live with that, and he's right, we are boorish as **** as a community.

He's not wrong. He does say he likes all the good beer, but doesn't like drinking it on the regular.

And to be fair, he has a great point. Black Tuesday and BA Abraxas are good, but nobody's ever said, "**** it's hot, I need to pound back a refreshing pint of adjunct stout to cool me off" while watching sports or whatever.

I'd even argue that the reason why "Vermont-style" IPAs came in vogue was because every stupid neckbeard wanted an IPA that was "closer to water" than a lot of the "you are not ****ing worthy you unxxxtreme ****" hopbombs that were prevalent a couple years ago, and still are, to an extent.

He's not wrong. He does say he likes all the good beer, but doesn't like drinking it on the regular.

And to be fair, he has a great point. Black Tuesday and BA Abraxas are good, but nobody's ever said, "**** it's hot, I need to pound back a refreshing pint of adjunct stout to cool me off" while watching sports or whatever.

I'd even argue that the reason why "Vermont-style" IPAs came in vogue was because every stupid neckbeard wanted an IPA that was "closer to water" than a lot of the "you are not ****ing worthy you unxxxtreme ****" hopbombs that were prevalent a couple years ago, and still are, to an extent.

So he's uneducated on what's out there and writing as if he is an expert. Basically your typical internet *******.

So he's uneducated on what's out there and writing as if he is an expert. Basically your typical internet *******.
Pretty much. He probably doesn't give a **** either.

Neither do I - Tecate may be piss, but it's refreshingly delicious piss.

Discussed this in another location (cc: RochesterAaron). Chang makes great food (I haven't personally had it, but I hear good things, and I like what I have cooked out of his cookbook), but singling out beer in this conversation is retarded.

archer_phrasing.jpg
Quirk is dead on in his assessment.

I'm a huge Chang fanboy, but I'm not really sure what the point of writing this was. If he really thought craft beer didn't pair well with food then why does he sell it in his restaurants? I doubt anyone would ***** if he took it off the menu. I ordered a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Weizen Bam when I ate at momofuku ko and thought it went with the food just fine. The free pour of a kolsch that Kelso brewed for them not so much.

Last edited:
"I don't want something that tastes delicious. I am not being falsely contrarian or ironic in a hipsterish way. This is something that I genuinely feel: I do not want a tasty beer."

Hahahahahahahahahaha

That guy is so resentful about his own occupation he basically argues against any high end foodstuff ever under the guise of beer. He must really hate his life. Self loathing at its finest.

Wait, since when was it hipster to hate on craft beer, not drink it? Have I been doing things wrong all along?

good thing GQ is a reputable source for all things craft beer

It's also being discussed on BA if you want a second reputable source.

And RB if you want a third reputable source...

....and it's being discussed here.

Latest posts

Back