Worthy beer destination between Scranton, PA and Chicago, IL.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirk6

Reaction score
In less than two weeks I'll be heading out to Chicago for my brother-in-law's graduation from Navy boot camp. We'll be heading out from my in-law's in Scranton, PA.

Here's the trip

I won't have time for too many stops, so the question is what do people think are the most worthy stops along this route?

Fat Heads - multiple locations around Cleveland area
18th Street - Gary, IN
3 Floyds - Munster, IN
Revolution - Chicago
Half Acre - Chicago
Haymarket - Chicago
Hop Leaf - Chicago

Definitely Fat Heads in Cleveland.

Also, if time allows, check out Maumee Bay in Toledo. Some good beer there and a very good Reuben.

2 votes for Fat Head would make it a definite stop. However, I'll be passing through Cleveland around noon to 1 o'clock and their hours appear to be 4-9. Any good bottle shops where I can pick up their stuff?

2 votes for Fat Head would make it a definite stop. However, I'll be passing through Cleveland around noon to 1 o'clock and their hours appear to be 4-9. Any good bottle shops where I can pick up their stuff?
Look at the location in north olmstead, seems like you might be looking at the taproom hours in middleburg heights if I'm not stupid.

we were definitely there for lunch. they have a ridiculous food menu! soooo many sammiches...

Unfortunately my plans have negatively altered. My sister-in-law doesn't get out of work till 1:30 Thursday (in Scranton), and the graduation is Friday morning outside Chicago. I'm not going to have time for much on the way anymore. I can visit some places in and around Chicago, probably. The next question then becomes good bottle shops where I can pick up some stuff I can't buy back in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Anyone?

Unfortunately my plans have negatively altered. My sister-in-law doesn't get out of work till 1:30 Thursday (in Scranton), and the graduation is Friday morning outside Chicago. I'm not going to have time for much on the way anymore. I can visit some places in and around Chicago, probably. The next question then becomes good bottle shops where I can pick up some stuff I can't buy back in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Anyone?
I grew up in NEPA so I know a little about the scene (or lack thereof) up there. I'm not nearly as familiar with bottle shops in Scranton, as I grew up in Wilkes-Barre. But if you are willing to drive the 15 minutes to the WB area, there are a few shops worth checking out. Whenever I visit my folks I always visit the following three places: 1) J & H Beer on Route 315; 2) Krugel's Georgetown Deli on Route 309; and 3) Sabatini's Pizza. You can occassionally find some awesome stuff sitting on the shelves at these places. Unfortunately, sometimes I walk out buying nothing at all. As for other shops near Scranton, maybe KFiedler can chime in?

I grew up in NEPA so I know a little about the scene (or lack thereof) up there. I'm not nearly as familiar with bottle shops in Scranton, as I grew up in Wilkes-Barre. But if you are willing to drive the 15 minutes to the WB area, there are a few shops worth checking out. Whenever I visit my folks I always visit the following three places: 1) J & H Beer on Route 315; 2) Krugel's Georgetown Deli on Route 309; and 3) Sabatini's Pizza. You can occassionally find some awesome stuff sitting on the shelves at these places. Unfortunately, sometimes I walk out buying nothing at all. As for other shops near Scranton, maybe KFiedler can chime in?

Definitely agree with Michael here. J&H, Sabatini's, and Exit 190 Beer Deli in Scranton are the 3 I'd recommend to you. IF you have time for a meal (doesn't sound like it)...you should check out AuRants in Duryea, PA. Great food and beer selection. The food is seriously awesome. Jack's Draft House in Scranton also has some nice things on draft or in bottles from time to time. I've lived here most of my life - and the scene is pretty bleh. If I can be of any help - please drop me a message!

The biggest problem with PA is their bizarre laws in regard to beer which tend to make six packs expensive. In Scranton I usually tend to go to Wegmans which has good prices and does loose bottles. I'll have to check out your suggestions. I'm in Scranton frequently since that's where my inlaws live.

Back