Yetis and Thangs(Cooler Talk)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratman

Reaction score
Thread for Coolers and other stuff needed to keep you Beer Cold during this heat wave. I been using a Yeti tumbler all summer and love it. What are yall using right now. I ordered a RTIC Softpack 30 this morn but they on back order til end of Aug. So still using my 20+ yr old Coleman til then, its been great but lid falls off now. They are some great options out there now. We all know Yeti is the NAME but they raise the bar and abunch of other companies have stepped up to the challage.

Not me but Talkbeer Leader Gene in great pic.
13567120_10100915205368149_3548567811341181890_n.jpg

I actually ended up upgrading that cooler (the 65) to the 105, which is the same width and length but a bit taller. The 105 will actually fit any growler, or even a magnum bottle, standing straight up, which actually does make this the last cooler I'll ever need, as promised on the tag.

In general though, this was one of the coolest (ha) gifts I've ever received. Would never ever have bought one of those for myself, but man am I glad I've got one now.

Does anyone have one of these? I heard about them a few months ago but have yet to take the plunge.

IceMule-Pro-Cooler-Collage-en.jpg

Does anyone have one of these? I heard about them a few months ago but have yet to take the plunge.

IceMule-Pro-Cooler-Collage-en.jpg

Those look like standard dry bags that I use for canoeing.

Wife got me a Yeti 30 Hopper soft sided cooler for my birthday last year. Fits about 6 bombers/750s with an ice pack, but you have to force them in a bit and put them at a 30 degree angle to zip it up. Works great for keeping stuff cold all day and usually carries enough for me to bring to a share.

I was looking into a new cooler. Of course looked at Yeti and Pelican and a couple less expensive brands.
While I will not knock anything Yeti or Pelican do as far as performance goes, I can't justify spending that kind of $ on a very heavy box that doesn't hold as much as you'd think.
If I was fishing regularly I'd want one. If I was trekking for days I'd want one (albeit a tonne lighter). But for simple use at the beach or a weekend camping here and there... doesn't make sense. Bags of ice in a basic cooler with wheels. Just saved hundreds.

Short: depends on what your needs (not wants) are. Dreams of summitting peaks turn into day hikes along paved trails.

I'm looking for a new soft shell cooler for going to shares, holding 3-4 750mls around $50 bucks

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the AO Coolers Canvas Soft Cooler 12 Pack. It's only $39.95 on Amazon right now, seeing if that deal is too good to be true. It's similar to the Polar Bear 12 pack but cheaper.
10-soft-cooler-ao-vinyl-630.jpg

photo source

For people that care about such things all of this companies products are made in China.
In reference to RTIC

I was thinking about this since I read the post. I'd like to support an American made product is possible, don't mind paying more if someone got a fair wage for a quality product. Yeti also has items made in China and the Philippines, it's funny you actually have to special order a product that is made in the USA. Certainly not trying to make anyone feel bad who has bought their products, just mentioning it after doing some research.
WHERE ARE YETI PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED? Our Tundra coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines. Our Hopper coolers and Rambler drinkware are manufactured in China. Want a YETI Tundra made in the USA? Call us at 512.394.9384 and we'll make it happen.
Source

In reference to RTIC

I was thinking about this since I read the post. I'd like to support an American made product is possible, don't mind paying more if someone got a fair wage for a quality product. Yeti also has items made in China and the Philippines, it's funny you actually have to special order a product that is made in the USA. Certainly not trying to make anyone feel bad who has bought their products, just mentioning it after doing some research.

Source
Do you actually have to special order and wait longer or is calling them just a way to guarantee an American made one fulfills you order?

I also worded my first comment the way I did knowing not all Yeti was US made but the others are all foreign.

Do you actually have to special order and wait longer or is calling them just a way to guarantee an American made one fulfills you order?

I also worded my first comment the way I did knowing not all Yeti was US made but the others are all foreign.
I assume the latter, seems like the have US made stuff on the ready but you have to call to make sure you get one made here. And that is only for the Tundra coolers, like the one Gene is holding.

I'm looking for a new soft shell cooler for going to shares, holding 3-4 750mls around $50 bucks

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the AO Coolers Canvas Soft Cooler 12 Pack. It's only $39.95 on Amazon right now, seeing if that deal is too good to be true. It's similar to the Polar Bear 12 pack but cheaper.

photo source

i have the 24 pack one. took it to a share / bottle release this past sunday and it was great. i think i fit 6 bombers plus a few bottles of water and ice in there. i paid $64.99 for it.

photo source
I have a 36 can and absolutely love it.

For my hard cooler I am running one of these and I am pleased.
pelican-flashlights_2262_1137918

Anyone own one of these? Curious to hear reviews. Apparently they are out of stock, but getting more in soon. Maybe so popular they sold out their first batch ?

Yeah their first batch sold out already. The were taking orders last month for sept 1 ship date and sold out quick. I missed out on first but a local guy IG won one from them and been using it for a few weeks and says it works great. I am do want on though.

Yeah their first batch sold out already. The were taking orders last month for sept 1 ship date and sold out quick. I missed out on first but a local guy IG won one from them and been using it for a few weeks and says it works great. I am do want on though.

So I contacted the company about the Out of Stock status because I really want to buy 1 of each color. Use the silver when I drink a Heady and the black when I drink a Focal. I got this information:

- currently in the process of a redesign
- new design will thread on the inside instead of the outside
- will have a tapered lid gasket so the gasket doesn't touch your chin
-will include an adapter piece so it will fit 12oz cans as well
- lower price $24.99
- at least October for them to be restocked with new better designed product.

Really excited to finally have a 16oz Koozie for canned beer ! Gotta wait but it will be worth it.

So I contacted the company about the Out of Stock status because I really want to buy 1 of each color. Use the silver when I drink a Heady and the black when I drink a Focal. I got this information:

- currently in the process of a redesign
- new design will thread on the inside instead of the outside
- will have a tapered lid gasket so the gasket doesn't touch your chin
-will include an adapter piece so it will fit 12oz cans as well
- lower price $24.99
- at least October for them to be restocked with new better designed product.

Really excited to finally have a 16oz Koozie for canned beer ! Gotta wait but it will be worth it.

Dam good info thanks.

I also like the fact it will fit both 16 and 12. So i will order 2 for sure.

Dam good info thanks.

I also like the fact it will fit both 16 and 12. So i will order 2 for sure.

Yeah, really excited over this. I have a feeling they are gonna sell a **** load. Idk why Yeti, or any other Koozie maker has failed to introduce a 16oz version yet. Oh well I like the name and logo of it too. Hopsulator. Just says put your beer in me !

Never took the plunge, but researched for a while. Jackson kayaks makes a line of coolers which is where I had landed when I decide to buy. These are all truly made in the US:

http://orioncoolers.com/

Edit: if you check YouTube there were a number of comparison videos to comparable Yetis.

I have a Coleman Marine 50-55qt (not sure the exact size) that keeps stuff quite cold and weighs approximately 5.6lbs. The comparable product, the Orion 55qt, weighs 33.5lbs. That seems...excessive

I have a Coleman Marine 50-55qt (not sure the exact size) that keeps stuff quite cold and weighs approximately 5.6lbs. The comparable product, the Orion 55qt, weighs 33.5lbs. That seems...excessive
You won't get much of an argument out of me. I definitely wanted a new/nicer cooler, but I kind of arrived that they are indeed excessive, and that my cooler now fits my needs 95% of the time. Ice is cheap, and there is maybe one time a year where I wish my cooler held it better, so for now I have moved on. When I was researching "Made in America" was important to me, and thus how I arrived at the Orions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back