Your Favorite Beer of 2017?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's getting to be the end of the year. I'm based in NYC so I mostly watched a lot of lactose and sour enter the IPA game from the hyped, trend-chasing guys. (See: OH turning everything to a "Cream" IPA)

My top pick is probably Hudson Valley Amorphia.

I've never really tasted anything like it.

What were you most excited about beer-wise in your corner of America?

Every time I see lactose or sour IPA I want to scream.

I know what you mean, but Amphoria was actually really good, surprised the hell out of me. I'd never even heard of Hudson Valley Brewing but a friend who has family up there brought back some of their stuff. Everything is really well executed and their pilsner is dynamite.

You wanna be well positioned when Black Friday hits. Get them stouts!!

Speaking of stouts...the best beer I had this year was Bell's BA Expedition.

Do people still care about bourbon county and variants? I was wondering if there would be lines again this year. Selling out to ABINBEV, changing the format/upping the price, and then selling infected beers wasn't enough to sway the masses? It might be that people just like waiting in lines :confused:?

Best stout I had this year was either Henna Double Rainbow from Moore brewing or DB La Nada from JWB.

Do people still care about bourbon county and variants? I was wondering if there would be lines again this year. Selling out to ABINBEV, changing the format/upping the price, and then selling infected beers wasn't enough to sway the masses? It might be that people just like waiting in lines :confused:?

Best stout I had this year was either Henna Double Rainbow from Moore brewing or DB La Nada from JWB.
I don't know if people care about BCBS, but I do. I'll take all of it. We get almost none here and it's often 1 bottle limits or it's $25+ per bottle.

There's still a number of places where BCBS only showed up 3-4 years ago after the buyout and the variants are fairly difficult to land. In those places it's still a pretty big deal, in part because they include a number of states where there aren't other standing in line beer events. You have to flex your grandmules where you can.

Lagunitas SuperCritical...

..which is pretty unusual as I:
A) am a non-smoker
B) am pretty much done with Lagunitas as a consumer
C) probably undervalue IPAs in general compared to most people

The hours-old keg we got for T30 was unforgettable.

I don’t think so but now I’m intrigued.

I remember we drank so killer beers at SLM but A) drunk and B) palate was shot.
The 135 shouldn't be too hard to get, well worth seeking out. The wine barrel component brings some nice sweetness. Strongly recommended

There's still a number of places where BCBS only showed up 3-4 years ago after the buyout and the variants are fairly difficult to land. In those places it's still a pretty big deal, in part because they include a number of states where there aren't other standing in line beer events. You have to flex your grandmules where you can.
This probably would have been the case here but after getting BCBS for the last 3 years, we aren't getting anything this year. People here are apparently very unhappy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sante Adairius David -- took the already impressive Double Door to an amazing place with the fruit addition. Stunning work.

Revolution VSOJ -- As good a BA barleywine as I can imagine. Spectacular.

Side Project 3 Candles -- Everyone else can stop making pastry stouts now. This is the one.

We've been getting BCBS for at least a decade and variants are not easy to get here.

Either Burlington Beer Co Orbital Elevator or Upper Pass Cloud Drop. Whichever one is currently available and fresh.
#dipasforlyfebro
Cloud Drop is fire!

Monsters Park Mexican Hot Chocolate right before walking into Phish at Nutter Center was pretty fantastic for me this year. Everything was right in the world.

It's getting to be the end of the year. I'm based in NYC so I mostly watched a lot of lactose and sour enter the IPA game from the hyped, trend-chasing guys. (See: OH turning everything to a "Cream" IPA)

My top pick is probably Hudson Valley Amorphia.

I've never really tasted anything like it.

What were you most excited about beer-wise in your corner of America?

No avatar, no favorite beer.
tenor.gif

Enjoy your time in the trading forum.

You are working it hard today to get yourself into the trading forum, arnt ya?
No avatar, no favorite beer.
tenor.gif

Enjoy your time in the trading forum.
It was only two threads, and I think they’re both seasonally appropriate and have generated some great responses. I usually delete throwaway content when I notice it but these are fine with me.

benchpressured should definitely still get himself a profile pic though. :)

It was only two threads, and I think they’re both seasonally appropriate and have generated some great responses. I usually delete throwaway content when I notice it but these are fine with me.

benchpressured should definitely still get himself a profile pic though. :)

You're stuck on an island. You only get 3 beers to drink the rest of your life. What are they?

Please keep in mind said beers need to pair well with your only food options which in this case are coconuts and cranberry salad.

Choose wisely, we are gonna judge and haze you heavily based on your reply. I trust you have thick skin and can take a razzing like someone with the name benchpressured surely can.

You're stuck on an island. You only get 3 beers to drink the rest of your life. What are they?

Please keep in mind said beers need to pair well with your only food options which in this case are coconuts and cranberry salad.

Choose wisely, we are gonna judge and haze you heavily based on your reply. I trust you have thick skin and can take a razzing like someone with the name benchpressured surely can.
This one, for example, is distinctly more “Pliny vs. Heady,” and would be removed.

*also would be removed for inaccuracy, as coconuts and cranberries would be highly unlikely to grow together on any one island.

This one, for example, is distinctly more “Pliny vs. Heady,” and would be removed.

I dont like this knee jerk reaction. The people want and deserve a real answer to the situation presented. We can move this discussion to its own thread or into the Gene AMA. We have already derailed too far from the best beer of 2017 discussion.

YO, who mentioned anything about growing together?! These are the provisions you were supplied with.

Back