Zwanze 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen an official announcement yet on the Zwanze date, but I did just see this Swedish website claiming that Zwanze 2017 is September 23 this year: https://skrubbe.com/2017/05/16/zwanze-2017-vi-har-ett-datum/

Anyone have any insight on how accurate this is? I'm hoping 100%.
If you translate that article it's literally a dude that went up to Jean and asked him about the date.

Uhhhh not sure if I'd call that concrete exactly.

In recent years it has been on the brewery after that specific date but only to be ingested in place! 2016 coincided with the date of Brussels half marathon which suited me perfectly, so I asked the brewer Jean Van Roy if I could possibly have the same luck this year. Unfortunately, it was not without Zwansedagen 2017 falls a week before this year's half marathon, specifically on Saturday, September 23 . Make sure to earmark calendar no matter if you are in Brussels or elsewhere, it is worth visiting one of the establishments that have the favor of serving the specials.

Definitely going to go to NOLA if I don't win the Jester King lotto again this year.

If you translate that article it's literally a dude that went up to Jean and asked him about the date.

Uhhhh not sure if I'd call that concrete exactly.

Definitely going to go to NOLA if I don't win the Jester King lotto again this year.
Yeah that's definitely how I read it too, hence the question of if anyone has any corroborating evidence.

And I'll see you in nola, whenever it is.

w1p92UE.png

Somehow there didn't seem to already be a thread for this, so now there is.

Anyway, Cantillon announced the date awhile ago, but today they announced what this year's Zwanze beer will be, and most of the locations:

Here's the text as well for anybody that has trouble with the embeds:

20293069_1552416178143686_2613252388684796849_n.png

My youngest son, Sylvain, will be 18 come October. As we did for his older brother, Florian, I wanted to celebrate this milestone by dedicating a beer to him. And what better beer than the Zwanze.
I wanted to involve Sylvain in choosing the beer, and when I asked him what blend we could make. He told me : “ I love iced tea, could we try a blend with tea?”.
After a superb tasting of several different types of tea at “Nong Cha” tea shop in the center of Brussels, we chose three teas for trial blends with Lambics.
After a few days of maturation with 2 years old Lambic, we decided on a “Oolong” (Wulong), a semi-fermented blue-green tea.
The Lambic-tea blend gave a great result. The beer was delicate and round, with notes of fruit and slight bitterness.
Sylvain is a huge fan of “Game of the Thrones” wich inspired the graphics for the 2017 edition of our Zwanze.
But in our version, no one dies and everyone has a good beer !

The Zwanze Day will take place on Saturday 23rd of September 2017 !

Here is the list of the bars:

AUSTRALIA
- NOLA -- Adelaïde
- Bitter Phew -- Sydney

AUSTRIA
- Tribaun -- Innsbruck

BELGIUM
- Moeder Lambic Fontainas -- Brussels
- Moeder Lambic Saint-Gilles -- Brussels
- Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon – Arlon
- Rose Red -- Brugge

CANADA
- Dieu du Ciel -- Montréal, Québec
- Birreria Volo -- Toronto, Ontario
- Bells and Whistles – Vacouver, British Columbia

DENMARK
- Himmeriget -- Copenhagen

FRANCE
- La Fine Mousse -- Paris
- La Capsule -- Lille
- Brasserie du Mont-Salève – Neydens
- Au Poêle de la Bête -- Toulouse

FINLAND
- Stadin Panimo Baari – Helsinki

GERMANY
- Café Herman – Berlin
- Mon Petit Café -- Stuttgard

GREAT BRITAIN
- Kernel Brewery – Bermondsey
- Beermerchants@Unit 101 -- Manchester
- Six° North – Aberdeen
- Moore Brewery -- Bristol

ITALIE
- Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà -- Rome
- The Dome -- Nembro
- LambicZoon -- Milano
- The Drunken Duck -- Quinto Vicentino
- Ristopub Margherita -- Quartu Sant’Elena
- Ottavonano -- Atripalda
- TryBeer Room – Castiglione d’Adda

JAPAN
- 3 Locations

NEDERLAND
- De Bierkoning -- Amsterdam

NEW-ZEALAND
- Garage Project – Wellington
NORWAY
- “Nogne O” -- Oslo

SPAIN
- Masia Agullons -- Sant Joan de Mediona

SWEDEN
- Zum Franziskaner-- Stockholm

SWITZERLAND
- Bière Café Au Trappiste -- Bern

USA
– Anchorage Brewing Company — Anchorage, Alaska
– Armsby Abbey — Worcester, Massachusetts
– Avenue Pub — New Orleans, Louisiana
– Bagby Beer — Oceanside, California
– Beachwood BBQ — Seal Beach, California
– Crooked Stave Barrel Cellar — Denver, Colorado
– De Garde Brewing — Tillamook, Oregon
– Fools Gold NY — Manhattan, New York
– Green Bench Brewing — St. Petersburg, Florida
– Holy Grale — Louisville, Kentucky
– Jester King Brewery — Austin, Texas
– Jolly Pumpkin Brewery — Dexter, Michigan
– Laser Wolf — Fort Lauderdale, Florida
– Mikkeller Bar SF — San Fransisco, California
– Monk’s Cafe — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
– Novare Res Bier Café — Portland, Maine
– The Porter Beer Bar — Atlanta, Georgia
– REAL a gastropub — Honolulu, Hawaii
– Russian River Brewing — Santa Rosa, California
– Schera’s Restaurant and Bar — Elkader, Iowa
– Seymour, the pub — Greenfield, Massachusetts
– Side Project Brewing Cellar — Maplewood, Missouri
– Slow Boat Tavern — Seattle, Washington
– The Sovereign — Washington D.C.
– Spuyten Duyvil — Brooklyn, New York
– Thin Man Brewery — Buffalo, New-York
– Trillium Brewing Company — Canton, Massachusetts
– West Lakeview Liquors — Chicago, Illinois

The 4 missing bars will be adapted shortly !

not sure how I feel about this blend...but i'll be lined up at 8 on St Charles ave anyways

Last edited:
Somehow there didn't seem to already be a thread for this, so now there is.

Anyway, Cantillon announced the date awhile ago, but today they announced what this year's Zwanze beer will be, and most of the locations:

Here's the text as well for anybody that has trouble with the embeds:

"I like 40's of King Cobra and barbecue pork. Can we use a malt liquor blend?"

Hey look! We got Zwanze again! Oh it's at Slow Boat? Yeah, I won't be able to get myself a ticket. Again.

I love Slow Boat, but Brouwers had the best situation for Zwanze ever. No advance tickets, just show up an hour or so before opening and everything was good.

I'd love to go, but unlike last year, it doesn't coincide with me being anywhere close to an actual event. I know JP in Dexter has it again, but their ticket and pricing scheme last year struck me as offensive, and I have little reason to believe it'll be different this year. I envy those of you who live in a city where you can do this sans advanced ticketing, like Monk's in Philly (where I went last year).

I've never been to Zwanze Day. Every year, SOMETHING comes up, and I'm unable to attend. Right now, there are no weddings that weekend, I'm not traveling, my Mom's birthday is in the middle of that week but will either be celebrated the weekend before or the day after Zwanze Day.

DON'T ANYBODY DO ANYTHING AND SCREW THIS UP FOR ME. I demand the opportunity to drink beer and eat breakfast at Fool's Gold at like 8AM with axeman9182, then hang out all day and drink lewnnz and whatnot. Please, little baby Jesus. Just let me have this one year.

I've never been to Zwanze Day. Every year, SOMETHING comes up, and I'm unable to attend. Right now, there are no weddings that weekend, I'm not traveling, my Mom's birthday is in the middle of that week but will either be celebrated the weekend before or the day after Zwanze Day.

DON'T ANYBODY DO ANYTHING AND SCREW THIS UP FOR ME. I demand the opportunity to drink beer and eat breakfast at Fool's Gold at like 8AM with axeman9182, then hang out all day and drink lewnnz and whatnot. Please, little baby Jesus. Just let me have this one year.

I'm already lined up outside FG, I'll save you a spot at the table.

An oolong tea lambic is enticing enough I might try to go to one of these. Kind of hoping one of the 4 unannounced locations is Mikkeller Bar LA.

Anyone privy to how Moeder Lambic runs their Zwanze Day?

I will be in Brussels that weekend and wasn't sure if they do tickets or its just line up and drink.

I don't know how packed it gets but Ma Che Siete is tiny, just FYI.

Yeah. We'll be getting the train so gonna try get there hella early. I'm not sure if they ticket (haven't seen any deets). It's not going to be a super beer-focussed holiday (no breweries, unless I stumble on any) and no excursions just for beer. I'll make allowance for Zwanze though.

Yeah. We'll be getting the train so gonna try get there hella early. I'm not sure if they ticket (haven't seen any deets). It's not going to be a super beer-focussed holiday (no breweries, unless I stumble on any) and no excursions just for beer. I'll make allowance for Zwanze though.
Open Baladin is cool and not far from Ma Che Siete but most of the other decent spots are pretty out of the way from usual touristy stuff. Enjoy it though, it's a fantastic city.

Back