2011 Golden Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On site at HF last month '11 was fantastic, and I've had some hit or miss bottles from another source. Even the good bottles seem to be losing quite a bit of the crazy carb they had two years ago.

I had one two weeks ago and it had great high carb, almost a gusher. Funky, mineral, citrus. Practically perfect. It seemed easier drinking than the last 2014 I had -- less dark sesame cracker notes, more bright citrus. That may be just misremembering though, as they weren't side by side.

I had a bottle this weekend that was absolutely fantastic.

ofxpeAN.jpg

Obviously plenty of carbonation and it was just amazingly easy to drink. Wish I had more.

blckout20 myself and a couple others also rocked one on Friday. Not a gusher, but I will;
Tiny cork pulled with no thump, but a nice layer of excess co2 quickly wafted over and the bottle was right about A&T quality in my eyes on taste/smell. The edge of goozie perfection. Golden hue with a little frothy head. Electric lemon acidity burning through slightly nutty, musty, cheese rind. LORDAMERCY

Last edited:
Well it's supposed to rain here on Thursday...and it's my wedding anniversary and my wife happens to be a sour head...so I will open one tonight while she is travelling for work and I can enjoy it all myself :p

Ended up being nice and sharing...the carbonation had died down on the 2011 from what I remember, still a nice funk and Epson salt combination that was incredibly smooth...seemed to fade a bit towards the end but still delicious. Need to find a 2014 to open up side by side.

Ended up being nice and sharing...the carbonation had died down on the 2011 from what I remember, still a nice funk and Epson salt combination that was incredibly smooth...seemed to fade a bit towards the end but still delicious. Need to find a 2014 to open up side by side.
Might as well get a 2016 and open up all three ;)

My assesment from a few weeks ago.

YlJ6V0t.jpg

Popped a Golden Blend 11' the other night after other's had said the beer seemed to be going still. This is the 3rd bottle from the lot that I've had, and this one had a nice pop of the cork, and a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The beer has changed considerably since I had it last 2 years ago...less bright, and a bit more acidic with moderate funk. It's definitely not at the point where I feel the need to crack another soon. It's either in transition to something entirely different, or it's best time has come and gone. Cheers

Might as well get a 2016 and open up all three ;)
That would be fun. Did 14 v. 16 a couple weeks ago and '14 blew '16 away. '16 was excellent, but a much brighter, more lemony blend...older/drier/oakier lambic hadn't shined through yet. I think the far better comparison in the near term is going to be '11 v. '14, assuming the '11 is a "good" bottle.

I had a flat bottle about 2 months ago. Chalky, muted citrus, armpit. Was delicious despite the lack of carbonation. Not as bright as prior carbed bottles.

I have 2 left . . .

Back