2017 SARA Cellar thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... um...
Existing members renew already I assume?
....any hopefuls get called up?

waiting.gif

Renewals don't happen till Feb, though Adair has asked anyone not joining to let her know by the end of the month. Can't imagine many new invites will go out till Feb though.

Come onnnnnn Lady Luck. Email I got years ago said 2017.

I know I'm kidding myself but it's fun to dream, right?

The question is whether they expand the club at all. The quantities of beer that they're making have clearly increased (Saison Bernice at a case limit and lasting multiple days???), so maybe there's room for more members. Per usual, wishing everyone good luck while selfishly hoping they don't let any more people in!

The question is whether they expand the club at all. The quantities of beer that they're making have clearly increased (Saison Bernice at a case limit and lasting multiple days???), so maybe there's room for more members. Per usual, wishing everyone good luck while selfishly hoping they don't let any more people in!
Most of the club beers are barrel-aged rather than foedre, though. I imagine that's harder to scale. Maybe in 2018 once the SC barrel room has been at work for awhile...

Maybe if someone had a severe allergic reaction to their member beers. :rolleyes:
So, real question, is that even possible here? I was under the impression that it was brewed with shells only, and those are just big hunks of calcium, right? If you react to oyster shells, do you react to limestone? Plus it's boiled and then aged, and the concentration of whatever allergen makes it through seems like it would be tiny. I've seen people say this, but is it really a problem? Again, legitimately curious here, I don't know very much about how shellfish allergies work.

So, real question, is that even possible here? I was under the impression that it was brewed with shells only, and those are just big hunks of calcium, right? If you react to oyster shells, do you react to limestone? Plus it's boiled and then aged, and the concentration of whatever allergen makes it through seems like it would be tiny. I've seen people say this, but is it really a problem? Again, legitimately curious here, I don't know very much about how shellfish allergies work.
I was alergic to shellfish as a kid (thank god I'm not now) and it was the iodine that I couldn't have. Now if any of this makes it through the process I can't answer for you. I can say though I wouldn't want to risk going through the reactions again.

Even if only brewed with the shells, I wouldn't necessarily assume they'd been cleaned to the point of being completely free of the shellfish proteins that trigger the allergic reactions. I can't speak to the concentrations of those allergens that'd be sufficient to trigger a reaction, but the most common of them, tropomyosin, is heat-stable. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23649255

I don't know very much about how shellfish allergies work.

Short answer is: bad and you really don't want to deal with it.

Long answer is I found out I was allergic a few girlfriend's ago when she took me out to get Tempura. A freaked out staff, an ambulance, and a rather embarrassed ex later, I now carry an epi-pen in the car just in case my allergies haven't subsided yet. Even more weirdness, lobster has no effect and is delicious, but shrimp...yeah....if you ever want to see a white-boy get some color in his face, along with rage and fear in his eyes, just feed that to me.

I think the last time I experienced anything was midway through 2016 grabbing some pick up stix before a movie. Itchy throughout the entire movie. Got home, nice hives all over neck, arms, and chest. I was a walking horror movie, it was neat.

Latest posts

Back