2018 Bourbon County Brand Stout and Variant Releases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Reaction score
Just announced by Goose Island on social media.

Original plus 7 variants confirmed:

• Reserve - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Coffee Barleywine
  • Wheatwine
  • Bramble Rye - raspberry/blackberry juice and puree
  • Midnight Orange - cocoa nibs and orange peel
  • Vanilla
  • Prop - cocoa nibs and chocolate
Rumored from label leaks but not part of the announcement: Horchata and Neapolitan.

So strange that they would "throw off the scent" with that amazing sounding Neapolitan and instead give us Coffee BW and orange beer.

Reserve - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Someone tell me I'm dumb.... but... aren't.... all... barrels... technically "barrel proof"?

Don't they dump them out and add distilled water to make them 80 proof in a big stainless steel brite tank (or whatever they call it in distillers' terminology)? Therefore the barrels are all the same?

Am I out of my element, Donny?

Someone tell me I'm dumb.... but... aren't.... all... barrels... technically "barrel proof"?

Don't they dump them out and add distilled water to make them 80 proof in a big stainless steel brite tank (or whatever they call it in distillers' terminology)? Therefore the barrels are all the same?

Am I out of my element, Donny?
Usually it’s a blend of different suppliers/bourbons though so the reserve is 100% from barrels that were destined to become ECBP. I’m guessing...

Usually it’s a blend of different suppliers/bourbons though so the reserve is 100% from barrels that were destined to become ECBP. I’m guessing...
But it's "barrel proof" not "single barrel".... ... ... ... I'm out of my element. I can feel it.

But it's "barrel proof" not "single barrel".... ... ... ... I'm out of my element. I can feel it.

EC barrel proof is still (as far as I know) labeled with a 12 year age statement. Regular EC is unstated so that would suggest all the barrels used for BCBS were at least 12 years old.

So strange that they would "throw off the scent" with that amazing sounding Neapolitan and instead give us Coffee BW and orange beer.
I don't think they did that to throw off the scent. They were just labels they registered for whatever reason. Maybe they did it for kegs or festivals or something. Just blame the people who troll for labels getting people's hopes up.

Anyone seen any pricing info for the variants?
A post I just saw from some random place in PA.

1. 2017 Bourbon County 16.9oz $10.97+tax
2. 2018 Bourbon County 16.9oz $11.97+tax
3. Bourbon County Coffee Barleywine 16.9oz $14.97+tax
4. Bourbon County Wheatwine 16.9oz $14.97+tax
5. Bourbon County Bramble 16.9oz $22.97+tax
6. Bourbon County Vanilla 16.9oz $22.97+tax
7. Bourbon County Chocolate Orange 16.9oz $22.97+tax

Not bad at all. Was honestly expecting closer to $30 for the variants. Though I'm sure many places will be in that range anyway.

Not bad at all. Was honestly expecting closer to $30 for the variants. Though I'm sure many places will be in that range anyway.
Oh yeah it'll be much higher overall I think. The majority of the places around here had the regular at about 15 a bottle the last few years.

Is this the slowest BCBS thread ever? It seems like these threads usually pile up a ton of posts, and this one is 4 months old and still on page 1.....

Where was this?

I would be fairly surprised to see a lot of craft beer shops selling those variants for much less than what other similar and limited pastry stouts sell. The larger bottle shop chains will probably have more competitive pricing but less likely to have bottles left after noon on Friday.

I expect the regular BCBS to once again turd it up at all the Seattle grocery stores and Costco. A bunch of bottle shops no longer sell InBev product.

why would '17 be cheaper than '18?

I was around for most of vanilla's production...i was there the day they scraped the beans & threw'em in, and i was there the day they centrifuged. Tasting it pre-centrifuge, i found it to be as good, if not better, than OG vanilla. I was absolutely astonished, best vanilla beer i've had. A few a disagreed and said it's got a weird thing going on now, but i haven't tasted the post-centrifuge product yet. So who knows.

I would be fairly surprised to see a lot of craft beer shops selling those variants for much less than what other similar and limited pastry stouts sell. The larger bottle shop chains will probably have more competitive pricing but less likely to have bottles left after noon on Friday.

Agreed. Just glad to see Goose isn't sending them out with a starting MSRP in the $30 range which I was half expecting.

Hoping to score a couple of the variants if possible. I've stocked up on BA Expedition this year so will probably barely buy any of the regular. I despise the gimmicky BCBS bottle format even though the beer itself is one of my all-time favorites. 4-pack of 12oz bottles is packaging perfection for that style imo, and BA exp is damn close to BCBS quality if not right there.

Bump.

Really looking forward to Reserve and Prop...obvi, but I'm super interested in the Midnight Orange.

Anybody else hear mixed/meh reviews on the Vanilla? I'm hoping that's not actually the case.

Had the wheatwine last night. It was solid and improved in taste as it warmed. It has a thin mouthfeel but thats not really a complaint just an opinion.
My buddy who shared it had the vanilla the other night. He said it was pretty good in his opinion but over the years of having OG vanilla, Vanilla rye and numerous vanilla bean recapped bottles of bcbs its not worth chasing to him. He did say it was still a damn fine beverage. Pastry stout overload these days has something to do with that we determined.

How is the base? Itd be nice to hear before plunking down the cash for a couple cases.

:confused: $30 for variants is steep... local spot in Reno had a case of vanilla on Tuesday for $12 ea.

Thought Vanilla had too low of a pH as well as the base. Not bad at all, just too strong with the dark fruit/raisin/fig stuff.

Latest posts

Back