US - Pacific 2018 Membership drop/renewal

Help Support Talkbeer:

I find this part of your club statements interesting. To me, there wasn't even really a club for Tired Hands. You put in a certain amount of money and get exactly that amount out plus a certain percentage off bottles. Since I would have bought those bottles anyway and spent money at Tired Hands anyway, there was no risk here. And since no bottles were included, I didn't even have to buy ones that sounded poor or overly expensive if I didn't want to unlike other clubs. It sounds like you had a some bad interactions in some way with Jean though.
Meant to reply to this and just couldn't find the time to put together a real answer. I suppose it was different for me as I'm a couple hours away and only get to Tired Hands once every few years. You're essentially right on, it's a combination of some bad interactions, as well as the change of direction the brewery took immediately following the club signup.

Prior to the club, there were regular bottle releases. You'd get a Parageusia or an Emptiness variant or something with some regularity, plus other interesting small batch releases, usually packaged in bombers. Immediately following the signups, bottle releases really slowed down. He ramped up production and started doing 750's, and the quality wasn't quite the same (as is to be expected with larger batches). He also started focusing on cans, which members couldn't reserve.

Of the bottles I purchased during my 2 years, I found most to be pretty bad, even the Parageusia's (6 and 7 I believe). The only good beers really were the Believers club beers, which were very good to be fair. I ended up missing out on Emptiness in bloom because I was late to reserve, and my decision to become a member was largely spurred on by loving some of the Emptiness beers that I'd tried. It was just a very busy time for me with some personal stuff going on, that was totally on me for not reserving it in time. However, my trustee popped in right after the release and talked to them about it, and they told him they'd make an exception and hook him up, and to contact Marty and let him know the details and that he'd get us bottles. I emailed him and he said no. A lot of my poor interactions have been things along those lines - where either Jean or a staff member would say to me that they would do something, that was kind of above and beyond and they certainly didn't need to do, and then they didn't follow through on it.

I wasn't even able to use my full gift card amount on bottle reservations, there just wasn't enough of interest. Emptiness in bloom was the only one that I'd missed reserving that interested me, so that wasn't a regular issue for me. As soon as my 2 years expired they released Parageusia 8 and 9 and Through the Emptiness, and I couldn't reserve them, even though I still had hundreds left on the card (I know, the term was for 2 years, but the timing of the release seemed conveniently soon after the 2nd year memberships expired). I had to end up using several hundred going down the the brewpub and eating and drinking just to use the balance up. When I bought the card I expected to be able to use it on bottles, the kind of bottles that they had released up until the club membership began. I definitely didn't think it would be all Emptinesses and Parageusias, for sure, but I also wouldn't have bought a $1000 gift card to stock up on Ourison.

tll;dr some guy bought a $1000 gift card and was picky about spending it / lives far from the brewery. he realized that is a silly idea and has learned from his mistakes

Did anyone in the Mikkeller SD club ever receive a membership card? No sign of mine plus I got a different club t-shirt to the one I ordered and I can’t spend the merchandise voucher because there’s hardly anything available in the webshop.

jwacky
Wow, shocked to hear there are some bumps with the membership this year... not at all.

I'm actually just splitting this with a buddy this year so he gets to deal with the frustrations. Not sure if he's gotten the card or not (he's the one on the account). Or if the lockers have been built yet (guessing not).

I believe we were able to spend the voucher on beer though. We split a crowler of scotch barrel X with it.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Would have liked to try that Scotch BA X but they only made like 8-10 crowlers available to the club and they sold out in minutes.

Meant to reply to this and just couldn't find the time to put together a real answer. I suppose it was different for me as I'm a couple hours away and only get to Tired Hands once every few years. You're essentially right on, it's a combination of some bad interactions, as well as the change of direction the brewery took immediately following the club signup.

Prior to the club, there were regular bottle releases. You'd get a Parageusia or an Emptiness variant or something with some regularity, plus other interesting small batch releases, usually packaged in bombers. Immediately following the signups, bottle releases really slowed down. He ramped up production and started doing 750's, and the quality wasn't quite the same (as is to be expected with larger batches). He also started focusing on cans, which members couldn't reserve.

Of the bottles I purchased during my 2 years, I found most to be pretty bad, even the Parageusia's (6 and 7 I believe). The only good beers really were the Believers club beers, which were very good to be fair. I ended up missing out on Emptiness in bloom because I was late to reserve, and my decision to become a member was largely spurred on by loving some of the Emptiness beers that I'd tried. It was just a very busy time for me with some personal stuff going on, that was totally on me for not reserving it in time. However, my trustee popped in right after the release and talked to them about it, and they told him they'd make an exception and hook him up, and to contact Marty and let him know the details and that he'd get us bottles. I emailed him and he said no. A lot of my poor interactions have been things along those lines - where either Jean or a staff member would say to me that they would do something, that was kind of above and beyond and they certainly didn't need to do, and then they didn't follow through on it.

I wasn't even able to use my full gift card amount on bottle reservations, there just wasn't enough of interest. Emptiness in bloom was the only one that I'd missed reserving that interested me, so that wasn't a regular issue for me. As soon as my 2 years expired they released Parageusia 8 and 9 and Through the Emptiness, and I couldn't reserve them, even though I still had hundreds left on the card (I know, the term was for 2 years, but the timing of the release seemed conveniently soon after the 2nd year memberships expired). I had to end up using several hundred going down the the brewpub and eating and drinking just to use the balance up. When I bought the card I expected to be able to use it on bottles, the kind of bottles that they had released up until the club membership began. I definitely didn't think it would be all Emptinesses and Parageusias, for sure, but I also wouldn't have bought a $1000 gift card to stock up on Ourison.
That's more fair than the off-handed comment you made a while ago. As a nearly local, I used up my card a year into the 2 years, I think, since I'd often go to the brewpubs and have lunch or dinner on it. Saving 20% in those cases was really nice. I was also in the first believer's club and it was really difficult to use the gift card in that case because you could use it on food, but only got a discount on beer. Meant you were losing money if you used it on food so I never bothered which made the card really annoying to use.

As for the number of bottle releases after the club started there were definitely huge gaps between them after a while which was a little annoying. But since I had other things to use the card for it didn't matter to me. I was distracted with my children anyway.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Alesmith looking like they are stepping things up a bit. Although not so easy to split a membership next year. 10 x 1 vs 5 x 2 currently.

• Ten (10) 750mL member-exclusive barrel-aged bottles (not listed in order of release date)*
    • (2) Wild Ales with Fruit TBD
    • Brewer's Choice Speedway Stout (Selection of our finest Bourbon Barrels)
    • Brewer's Choice Blend
    • Double Barrel Speedway Stout (Rum Barrels, Islay Scotch Barrels)
    • Maple Smoked Barleywine (Rye Barrels)
    • Barrel-Aged Hawaiian Speedway Stout (Rum Barrels)
    • Speedway Stout with Figs, Cacao Nibs and Almonds (Apple Brandy Barrels)
    • Speedway Stout with Vanilla, Cacoa Nibs, Vietnamese Coffee and Sea Salt (Bourbon Barrels)
    • Imperial Stout (NEW) with Coconut, Cacoa Nibs and Boysenberry (Maple Syrup Barrels)

Alesmith looking like they are stepping things up a bit. Although not so easy to split a membership next year. 10 x 1 vs 5 x 2 currently.

• Ten (10) 750mL member-exclusive barrel-aged bottles (not listed in order of release date)*
    • (2) Wild Ales with Fruit TBD
    • Brewer's Choice Speedway Stout (Selection of our finest Bourbon Barrels)
    • Brewer's Choice Blend
    • Double Barrel Speedway Stout (Rum Barrels, Islay Scotch Barrels)
    • Maple Smoked Barleywine (Rye Barrels)
    • Barrel-Aged Hawaiian Speedway Stout (Rum Barrels)
    • Speedway Stout with Figs, Cacao Nibs and Almonds (Apple Brandy Barrels)
    • Speedway Stout with Vanilla, Cacoa Nibs, Vietnamese Coffee and Sea Salt (Bourbon Barrels)
    • Imperial Stout (NEW) with Coconut, Cacoa Nibs and Boysenberry (Maple Syrup Barrels)
Interesting. Same price... $400?

Interesting. Same price... $400?
About yeah, $375+tax

Edit: Additional info with swag options to choose from as well is also included in the price.

• Custom "Order of the Anvil" Teku glass
  • Choice of one of the following "Order of the Anvil" custom gifts:
    • Bottle Bag
    • Work Shirt
    • Hooded Sweatshirt
Membership Fee: $375.00 plus Tax & CRV

About yeah, $375+tax

Edit: Additional info with swag options to choose from as well is also included in the price.

• Bottle Bag
    • Work Shirt
    • Hooded Sweatshirt
Nice. Definitely something to think about. I mentally prepared myself to cut down some of my memberships but now I'm sitting here debating new ones. Maybe I'll add this in place of Lost Abbey, as I'd like more of the offered beers and it's close enough to make use of the perks more often.

Nice. Definitely something to think about. I mentally prepared myself to cut down some of my memberships but now I'm sitting here debating new ones. Maybe I'll add this in place of Lost Abbey, as I'd like more of the offered beers and it's close enough to make use of the perks more often.
Fruitgeist is going on today as a preview. Not sure if member-only or if it will be available for everyone. Regardless, I am cruising by after work (around 6ish) to try it and can get others pours if they do restrict it to only members.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
About yeah, $375+tax

• Bottle Bag
    • Work Shirt
    • Hooded Sweatshirt
Left out the merch because it's so hideously ugly. Although the sweatshirt was good value for trolling the wife for a few hours.

The member only growler fills are definitely something I wish I had access to.

I would be pretty surprised if there was NOT open slots in MT's League but with so many new locations opening up (and that have opened since last year's signups) I wouldn't wait.

And speaking of fills, what have they typically been for the Alesmith club? And ballpark prices? Good information to know... if they're all $40+ I doubt I'd take much advantage.

Xul

And speaking of fills, what have they typically been for the Alesmith club? And ballpark prices? Good information to know... if they're all $40+ I doubt I'd take much advantage.
I've gotten a few fills for a Bay Area friend who's a member and they're $40 +/- a few bucks for a 32oz fill. It's justified from a cost per ounce standpoint, but it makes Modern Times' $27/$28 barrel aged crowlers look like an even better deal.

I've gotten a few fills for a Bay Area friend who's a member and they're $40 +/- a few bucks for a 32oz fill. It's justified from a cost per ounce standpoint, but it makes Modern Times' $27/$28 barrel aged crowlers look like an even better deal.
That is very true. I ain't complaining about MT's fills. I see DT Cuvee finally kicked, that beer was amazing.

Group Builder