US - Pacific 2018 Membership drop/renewal

Help Support Talkbeer:

Hey, whatever works for you. Just have been down that route with The Bruery already and won't repeat it.
But I'm not necessarily spending MORE than I already am at MT. Maybe some. But I'm taking my existing 2018 spending and reallocating some of the membership costs (and money spent on extras because of those memberships) and planning to put it elsewhere, like random local releases, etc. There are at least $650 in membership fees alone (not counting "shifting" Mikkeller to MT Theory) that will free up.

I get what you're saying though, and how this is step toward that direction.

It is funny that you mention Bruery like this. Seems you were not alone - I'm tired of seeing Bruery bottles at shares, lol.

It is funny that you mention Bruery like this. Seems you were not alone - I'm tired of seeing Bruery bottles at shares, lol.
I think you'll start to see the MT bottle share thing as well. The memberships are super-concentrated around their physical locations and you have a lot of people in this hobby with FOMO. So bottles start to pile up in the cellar and after a while people try to clear the backlog. But if everyone's in the club (i.e. Bruery) then it's even harder to get rid of those bottles.

I think you'll start to see the MT bottle share thing as well. The memberships are super-concentrated around their physical locations and you have a lot of people in this hobby with FOMO. So bottles start to pile up in the cellar and after a while people try to clear the backlog. But if everyone's in the club (i.e. Bruery) then it's even harder to get rid of those bottles.
Fair points. I can see where you're going with it now. Time will tell. Though on that same note, we do try and coordinate a little when it comes to shares, even with being in the same memberships. This time I'll bring Member bottle X, you bring bottle Y, another bottle Z. And then we'll rotate the next time.

I could just eliminate friends from my life and drink my bottles alone, too. Options.

Fair points. I can see where you're going with it now. Time will tell. Though on that same note, we do try and coordinate a little when it comes to shares, even with being in the same memberships. This time I'll bring Member bottle X, you bring bottle Y, another bottle Z. And then we'll rotate the next time.

I could just eliminate friends from my life and drink my bottles alone, too. Options.
Do you coordinate buying? I don't think it works without that side. Otherwise what happens when you open a 22oz that everyone has 4 of, but isn't all that good?

I also analyzed how much I actually drink in a year, and it's not nearly as much as I was buying, which didn't help. I just don't kill that many 22oz+ bottles of stout on my own in a year, and even if you include bottle shares it's probably at >2 cases per year? That's like 2 months of a top tier membership...

Do you coordinate buying?
Sometimes, yes, actually. Or we've tasted all the beers and confirmed all are good, so we know we'll like them.

I also analyzed how much I actually drink in a year, and it's not nearly as much as I was buying, which didn't help.
Don't bring logic in to this, haha. It does help curb spending when you don't have the need to buy EVERYTHING but I'm sure most of us have far more than we need in a given year. The same is definitely true for me with my cigar collection. I probably have at least a 10 year supply. When I got to that bursting point I stopped buying cigars. Haven't made a purchase in at least a year. Guess I'm just not quite there yet with beer.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Casey is starting to head this way. Despite being 2,000 miles away there's always loads of it at tastings/bottle shares in New York.

Dropping
  • Tired Hands Believers Club balance ran out with no option to re-up.. so I guess that's that
  • Rare Barrel
  • Garagiste

Adding
  • Holding out hope for a few places

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Keeping: Casey, Alesmith (split)

Likely Dropping: Mikkeller San Diego. Beers so far have been pretty good to excellent tbf but slow to come out and some logistical issues with the extras.

Adding: Modern Times (hopefully)

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
So what's up with Rare Barrel and Garagiste? I've been plenty of posts from folks across the platforms saying they're ditching these two. I thought the latter was a big deal in the mead world?

(I know nothing about mead beyond what nathanmiller and jammery tell me).

So what's up with Rare Barrel and Garagiste? I've been plenty of posts from folks across the platforms saying they're ditching these two. I thought the latter was a big deal in the mead world?

I wonder if anyone is dropping because Chad is completely tone deaf when interacting with the community/consumers, or if it's because there are now some bottles with stated minimum limits (Reboog Vitis comes to mind), or if it's because he was bagging on people for not spending a minimum spend in the club? Lots of regulars have started to ditch Chad because, well, he's Chad

Re: The Rare Barrel - at least for me, it's a combination of price point, requirement to have a trustee (to ship to NJ) and lack of pleasure (or high likelihood of discomfort) in doming a bottle solo at home plus there's a lot more of it these days when you go to a share
Re: Garagiste - it's price point, overall douchiness of the owner and most of his followers, and while it's good it's nowhere near Schramms. Honestly I get chills thinking about how much that facebook owners group irritated me.

I’m in the last quarter of Crooked Stave. I don’t plan on renewing but they’ve put out good beer all year (although I’ve been selective in ordering), the club has been run well and my trustee is awesome. I just don’t feel like the leg work and cost of doing it another year.

I’ll most likely keep Lost Abbey for 2019 as long as my buddy I’m splitting it wants to keep it too. Expensive but the beer has been fantastic and the volume of beers isn’t too high.

Meh. People wanted Garagiste when it was the new hotness and now they just want the newer hotness, IMO. Sure, some folks were personally pissed off by Chad, but I honestly think a lot of people just realized they don't want to spend that much money on stuff they can't flip as easily as they anticipated.

I'm sticking with them. I like their stuff and the price point doesn't bother me if I stick to fewer bottles. I am dropping Rare Barrel though (just tired after all these years really) and Superstition (honestly probably the most poorly-run-for-non-locals club I've ever been in.) Keeping Bruery and haven't made decisions on other annual ones yet.

Group Builder