US - Pacific 2018 Membership drop/renewal

Help Support Talkbeer:

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Mikkeller SD Viking Club bottles from the last two years being sold to the public today. Haven't seen that before.

Last edited:
Picking up our Pure Project club bottles next week...probably should have tried some of the BA beers before deciding on whether to stay in the club. Site says they're closed for next year. Oh well. Even if they're great, $390 is steep.

So, apparently dropping that and adding back Casa Agria. I also split Lost Abbey with some bros, but we're not going to renew.

Lock & Key renewal emails were just sent out... my thoughts in italics below:

Quarterly Selection: Once every quarter, a curated selection of bottles and/or cans will be delivered your beer locker. The bottles will be hand selected by our team to fit both the season, as well as your tastes. To make this possible, we will be asking you a few questions at the beginning of your membership and throughout the year to ensure we find the best beers for you.

- Unwanted collab beers, stuff that was always available on the shelf the day I'd go in to grab my locker drop.

Other Benefits Include:
- First dibs on select rare bottles, via pages on our website only accessible to Key Holders - I liked this part, however other local shops get virtually all of the same beers and sell online
- 10% off all draft beer - Never took advantage of this
- 10% off Bottlecraft branded merchandise - what merchandise? BC glassware? Even the member glassware had to be purchased
- 2019 Lock and Key challenge coin - No purpose
- Access to exclusive, members-only draft beer in our tasting rooms - only happened a handful of times, beers still available to public after.
- Access to members-only tastings and events - I think there was just the one this year?
- First opportunity to purchase Bottlecraft collaboration brews - They have pallets of these. No need for early access
- First opportunity to purchase tickets to Bottlecraft events - the one unticketed event that they hosted?
- First right of acceptance for 2020 membership

Honestly felt that the club was a severe afterthought while they opened new locations and I see that they've got another planned in 2019 as well. Glad I tried it, and I liked the access, but the two breweries I wanted it for most are distributing much more frequently now so I'm not sure there's any need for that perk.

KevSal

Supremium Porter

Quarterly Selection: Once every quarter, a curated selection of bottles and/or cans will be delivered your beer locker. The bottles will be hand selected by our team to fit both the season, as well as your tastes. To make this possible, we will be asking you a few questions at the beginning of your membership and throughout the year to ensure we find the best beers for you.

- Unwanted collab beers, stuff that was always available on the shelf the day I'd go in to grab my locker drop.

Other Benefits Include:
- First dibs on select rare bottles, via pages on our website only accessible to Key Holders - I liked this part, however other local shops get virtually all of the same beers and sell online
- 10% off Bottlecraft branded merchandise - what merchandise? BC glassware? Even the member glassware had to be purchased
- Access to exclusive, members-only draft beer in our tasting rooms - only happened a handful of times, beers still available to public after.
- Access to members-only tastings and events - I think there was just the one this year?
- First opportunity to purchase Bottlecraft collaboration brews - They have pallets of these. No need for early access
- First opportunity to purchase tickets to Bottlecraft events - the one unticketed event that they hosted?

Honestly felt that the club was a severe afterthought while they opened new locations and I see that they've got another planned in 2019 as well. Glad I tried it, and I liked the access, but the two breweries I wanted it for most are distributing much more frequently now so I'm not sure there's any need for that perk.

Other Benefits Include:

(Adding this here as well)

I wholeheartedly concur with all of your thoughts, and will add:

- "Exclusive online sales" were usually only a few bottles that sold out almost immediately upon IG notification.
- I also saw multiple beers on the regular Bottlecraft socials that I thought "Wow, would've been great if they had offered THAT to members," but nope.
- There was only one tasting/event (with Moksa), and NO OTHER EVENTS WHATSOEVER! - I also don't actually recall receiving any "first opportunity" (or any opportunity for that matter) to buy collaboration brews online, although may they were few and far between, not announced, or all IPAs (which I don't really drink).
- I SWEAR there was a L&K branded glass included on the sale page for 2018 membership (one WAS included for 2017 membership), but when I asked at first locker pick-up they said I'd have to buy it. When I checked the sale page, that info. had mysteriously been changed.
- Finally, I compared the 2017 L&K online sales (via IG posts) with the ones from 2018, and they posted almost DOUBLE the amount in 2017 as in 2018 (99 post vs. 53 posts).

All in all, one of biggest wastes of money of a club I have seen so far (and that's including Wild Barrel). I won't be renewing.

(Adding this here as well)

I wholeheartedly concur with all of your thoughts, and will add:

- "Exclusive online sales" were usually only a few bottles that sold out almost immediately upon IG notification.
- I also saw multiple beers on the regular Bottlecraft socials that I thought "Wow, would've been great if they had offered THAT to members," but nope.
- There was only one tasting/event (with Moksa), and NO OTHER EVENTS WHATSOEVER! - I also don't actually recall receiving any "first opportunity" (or any opportunity for that matter) to buy collaboration brews online, although may they were few and far between, not announced, or all IPAs (which I don't really drink).
- I SWEAR there was a L&K branded glass included on the sale page for 2018 membership (one WAS included for 2017 membership), but when I asked at first locker pick-up they said I'd have to buy it. When I checked the sale page, that info. had mysteriously been changed.
- Finally, I compared the 2017 L&K online sales (via IG posts) with the ones from 2018, and they posted almost DOUBLE the amount in 2017 as in 2018 (99 post vs. 53 posts).

All in all, one of biggest wastes of money of a club I have seen so far (and that's including Wild Barrel). I won't be renewing.
Yeah, I know I was on the fence for a while but after thinking about it, I can't really come up with reasons to stay in it. You just don't really get anything of value. Half the total sales compared to a year ago speaks to my thoughts of them being distracted with other growth opportunities, and in the latter half of the year the online sales really came in spurts. When they did, it was often stuff of little interest. Even half of the IPAs I'd like were never put up for sale due to "members not picking up their purchases".

KevSal

Supremium Porter
Moksa has renewals right now. in person only, no online sign ups, until Dec 16th... man its cutting it close for me, fate will decide if i can do another year lol. plus it went up to $300. thats alot of cash for mid December.

4 different beers, 2 regular and 2 barrel aged. includes 3 each of the regular and 2 each of the barrel aged. anyone else here in Moksa?

Moksa has renewals right now. in person only, no online sign ups, until Dec 16th... man its cutting it close for me, fate will decide if i can do another year lol. plus it went up to $300. thats alot of cash for mid December.

4 different beers, 2 regular and 2 barrel aged. includes 3 each of the regular and 2 each of the barrel aged. anyone else here in Moksa?
Wait, you seriously can't renew online? That legit makes no sense.

So forced, what if you were on vacation or on a work trip during the signup period? Just S O L?
Being hyper-local centric means you never need to leave. Ever. If you do, it means you’re truly not someone who cares and as such will be exiled.
I mean, it's a two week sign up window. If you really do want to just cater to locals, then doing it this way makes a lot of sense.

I figured as much, just being facetious. Still stinks if you truly can’t make it work and being away is held against you.
Exactly. I also don't understand the desire to cater to hyper local customers but hey it's their business. Some of those locals have put a very bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths IE trading. There's a group of people that try to police trade values and will actually message people that they feel traded the beer too low. It's fucking pathetic.

Group Builder