US - Pacific 2019 Membership renewal

Help Support Talkbeer:

I should probably revisit, mostly because I have to pass by on my merry way to Alesmith. I have been in the tasting room maybe twice in the past 2.5years (once we got shafted on our membership for the 3rd time and I said no more) just to drop off beers to a buddy. Didn't even stay long enough to get a pour.
The sours I would say are worth a stop off and try because it's on the way to/from alesmith.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
As for perks of this particular membership a big one to me seems like the ability to order online and pickup at the tasting room which you cannot do otherwise. The reason this club keeps my interest is I feel the beer I try from them is always a little under the radar. Now as for me joining it’s still probably not going to happen as it tends to be difficult for me to get there on a regular basis while living in “canada”.
They ship within California. Somewhat annoyingly that's only available on club bottles if you're in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

They ship within California. Somewhat annoyingly that's only available on club bottles if you're in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.
Sorry I was making a joke from the SD thread. I live in north county SD so fighting the 5 and 805 freeways isn’t ideal and shipping beer from Mira Mesa to Encinitas seems like a waste of money. Kind of a catch 22. Their wording on shipping is weird though I read it you can ship club bottles anywhere in CA even if you are only a Viking member.

Also I’m wondering about what entices breweries to create a club, is it really just them viewing it as a short term interest free loan? Or is there more wanting to be creative with producing new beer at play? There are plenty of great SD breweries that do not have a club (pizza port, belching beaver, rip current, etc...)

Anyone in Sierra Nevada's Alpha Hop Society? Nobody ever talks about it but I'm strangely drawn to it.
I have a friend who was in it last year. I don't know if there's any differences depending on one's location (i.e. west coast/Chico vs east coast/Asheville), but most of the beers he got ranged from meh to gross. Some of them were interesting but not to the point of them being anything I'd want to seek out or have again. Several were drainpours. Not one made me think "wow, this is totally worth being a member for!"

Also I’m wondering about what entices breweries to create a club, is it really just them viewing it as a short term interest free loan? Or is there more wanting to be creative with producing new beer at play? There are plenty of great SD breweries that do not have a club (pizza port, belching beaver, rip current, etc...)
Its a (hopefully) large amount of cash upfront to put toward expenses throughout the year vs having to take a loan or go in the red to hopefully make it back + profit. It seems like a no brainer for the business but it seems to give new breweries a pass on creating mediocre beer as they already have your money. Clubs that have emerged after a brewery has become big as a way to honor local residents and long time customers seems like the proper way to do a club, but thats just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:
I have a friend who was in it last year. I don't know if there's any differences depending on one's location (i.e. west coast/Chico vs east coast/Asheville), but most of the beers he got ranged from meh to gross. Some of them were interesting but not to the point of them being anything I'd want to seek out or have again. Several were drainpours. Not one made me think "wow, this is totally worth being a member for!"
Yeah, I was a member the first year and poured every single beer out. Friends stayed in and slowly dropped off. None are left as 90% of the beer was terrible and went down the drain.

Sounds like you would need to also purchase the growler, kinda like how Alesmith's was an added fee the first year (but could opt in for 2nd year to get it as your merch piece). And you would need to live kinda close to take advantage of that 20% off fills perk.

Other than that, I personally would skip it, but I am not a fan of about 75% of their offerings. The anniversary parties I have attended in the past were not well run. The first time I can understand but after that, fool me once....I also don't really like having to bust out my wallet and pay for individual pours. I would prefer a token system or having it included, either unlimited or else a set amount with a wristband+tabs.

Personally for me next year I am dropping Dionysus and Westbound & Down (CO brewery)

Keeping:
Modern Times (split)
Casa (split)
Highland Park Brewery (solo)
Amalgam (solo CO brewery)

Really pains me to drop those two, as they both make fantastic beer for a great price, but I've come to the realization I have too much beer and cutting out memberships is a surefire wait to buy less.

But...what about Wild Barrel!?!?!?!? =P

Keeping:
Modern Times (hopefully still get a theory invite despite purchase rates being on the low end for me)
SARA (took me so damn long to get in, I doubt I will ever let this one go)

On the fence (...still):
Alesmith

Dropping:
Lost Abbey

But...what about Wild Barrel!?!?!?!? =P

Keeping:
Modern Times (hopefully still get a theory invite despite purchase rates being on the low end for me)
SARA (took me so damn long to get in, I doubt I will ever let this one go)

On the fence (...still):
Alesmith

Dropping:
Lost Abbey
Ugh, don't remind me.

Maybe Tired Hands Believers.
Saw this in your post and was confused I missed something. Did you recently see something about them creating a 3rd Believer's Club? Because there have only been 2 in the past and the previous one was years ago at this point.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Saw this in your post and was confused I missed something. Did you recently see something about them creating a 3rd Believer's Club? Because there have only been 2 in the past and the previous one was years ago at this point.
Ah, I thought it was still active.

I keep hearing grumblings of a Lost Cause Meadery membership forming. Anyone hear anything about that? That's about the only other thing I'd consider at this point.

Group Builder