US - Pacific 2019 Membership renewal

Help Support Talkbeer:

So what level did you end up with, inquiring minds want to know?
I got invited back to Theory. Even purchased my renewal as well as a new CPU two days ago and threw a fraud flag on my CC. Oh man, that was a fun morning.

I keep hearing grumblings of a Lost Cause Meadery membership forming. Anyone hear anything about that? That's about the only other thing I'd consider at this point.
Hmmm, I was planning on going to their release this weekend. I'll ask Billy about it.

Hmmm, I was planning on going to their release this weekend. I'll ask Billy about it.
Curious to hear more, for sure. Always see teases of it with regards to the new tasting room opening in Bay Park. The one beer membership is plenty for me, but I'd totally add mead to the stock pile considering it can be opened and saved and also because the wife enjoys it and would help drink it.

Ah, I thought it was still active.
oh okay. Yeah they have only run it twice and it was sort of an odd club anyway. As someone who lived in Philadelphia, I loved it and wish they'll do another round. Gave me a good excuse to go and the discount was nice.

Curious to hear more, for sure. Always see teases of it with regards to the new tasting room opening in Bay Park. The one beer membership is plenty for me, but I'd totally add mead to the stock pile considering it can be opened and saved and also because the wife enjoys it and would help drink it.
Their tasting room in Bay Park will be right next to Deft Brewing. Mo is making some great traditional style beers at Deft.

I got invited back to Theory. Even purchased my renewal as well as a new CPU two days ago and threw a fraud flag on my CC. Oh man, that was a fun morning.

Congrats on year 3! I got the invite for next year, so I'm stoked as well!

Please let us know what you find out about the Lost Cause membership.

H'ok, so chatted with Billy about it today. The answer is yes, but still in planning stages, although it sounds like he wants to launch it in November this year (while people haven't spent all their money for the holidays, which makes sense). His plan is to launch 2 memberships. One being exclusive that he would cap around 250 or so ppl and be a yearly thing, so like most beer memberships. The second being something that will be wide open and be a year in length but can be started whenever, much like a wine membership (since they have the license to ship to 38 different states).

That is about it, he asked me which memberships I felt did things right. I said the customer service of Modern Times but the release schedule of SARA. But the most important thing, I think, that I mentioned was don't over promise. Since some memberships that I had that did over promise (*cough Wild Barrel *cough) have tended to fail across the board in delivery.

He also has a meadowfoam honey + candy cap mushroom aged in oak mead coming out and it is damn delicious.

H'ok, so chatted with Billy about it today. The answer is yes, but still in planning stages, although it sounds like he wants to launch it in November this year (while people haven't spent all their money for the holidays, which makes sense). His plan is to launch 2 memberships. One being exclusive that he would cap around 250 or so ppl and be a yearly thing, so like most beer memberships. The second being something that will be wide open and be a year in length but can be started whenever, much like a wine membership (since they have the license to ship to 38 different states).

That is about it, he asked me which memberships I felt did things right. I said the customer service of Modern Times but the release schedule of SARA. But the most important thing, I think, that I mentioned was don't over promise. Since some memberships that I had that did over promise (*cough Wild Barrel *cough) have tended to fail across the board in delivery.

He also has a meadowfoam honey + candy cap mushroom aged in oak mead coming out and it is damn delicious.
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely intrigued. Good advice re: breweries that do it right. Having been in five different ones over the years - which I know pales in comparison to many of you - Modern Times is definitely the gold standard, especially with customer service. And you're correct - over promising is the worst, and is guaranteed to piss everyone off. Added surprises throughout the year are a great way to generate buzz for future membership sales.

For some reason I’ve never unsubscribed from Bruery emails from when I was a reserve member. Reserve sale started Friday, and shocker I get an email today that spots are still available.
Bruery be like...

Xul

Lost Abbey (yellow bus announcement got me)
Ha, same. Splitting it with a friend and our view going in is that we're just in it for the beers whenever they're ready. We expect minimal engagement, infrequent releases, and mediocre communication. All of the complaints people have about the current incarnation of their club (that I've heard, anyway) center on lack of engagement and customer service, which we don't really give a shit about...cautiously optimistic that with the right expectations going in, it'll be worthwhile.

Modern Times League
Cellador V
HPB Bottle Friends
SARA
Horus
Lost Abbey

I like beer.

But I pretty much never buy any beer, other than what is available through these clubs. And the occasional World Classic shelfie like Orval, Weihenstephaner Hefe, Pivo, etc.

Last edited:
Ha, same. Splitting it with a friend and our view going in is that we're just in it for the beers whenever they're ready. We expect minimal engagement, infrequent releases, and mediocre communication. All of the complaints people have about the current incarnation of their club (that I've heard, anyway) center on lack of engagement and customer service, which we don't really give a shit about...cautiously optimistic that with the right expectations going in, it'll be worthwhile.
Right there with ya, and that is how it has been. I guess some ppl are needy and have to have their hand held through the entire year.

It is why I really like the SARA club. Beer is ready, whenever the fuck it wants to be ready....and nobody says a thing in the FB group otherwise except for asking for a proxy pickup or posting the usual pictures at a beach. It is quite relaxing.

Reactions: Xul

Xul

It is why I really like the SARA club. Beer is ready, whenever the fuck it wants to be ready....and nobody says a thing in the FB group otherwise except for asking for a proxy pickup or posting the usual pictures at a beach. It is quite relaxing.
I think it's really a matter of breweries being realistic in what they have the resources to offer, as well as consumers understanding that various clubs are going to be vastly different - expecting every club to have every perk and the same level of engagement, service, and experience is a recipe for disappointment. I suspect that as the market for brewery clubs matures, we're going to see some programs overhauled and probably a few abandoned.

Anyway, along with Lost Abbey:
Modern Times Theory (duh)
Horus (renewed in June for year 2, splitting with a friend)

Yeah I haven't had a problem with Lost Abbey this year. The beers have been fantastic and that's all I really care about. I'm not looking for a MT-like or Bruery-like club where there are a ton of releases every month. My emails to LA have been replied to in an acceptable timeframe and I haven't had an issue with pickups.

Yeah I haven't had a problem with Lost Abbey this year. The beers have been fantastic and that's all I really care about. I'm not looking for a MT-like or Bruery-like club where there are a ton of releases every month. My emails to LA have been replied to in an acceptable timeframe and I haven't had an issue with pickups.
Out of curiosity, what were the releases in 2019 for the Lost Abbey club?

Latest posts