2019 Membership renewal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwacky

Reaction score
Renewal season is around the corner... what are your plans for anything new, renewing, or dropping?

For me currently:

Renewing: Modern Times. No brainer.

Dropping: Alesmith

Considering: None, really, unless I end up in some sort of split membership (which I don't see happening).

I'm splitting a Saints and Sinners membership. Haven't heard about next year yet so it seems they need to get the program back on track or just get rid of it. The beers have been stellar though.

I’m not currently in any. The one that continues to tempt especially after visiting the tasting room this most recent time is Mikkeler. But there starts in the spring right? Anyone have any experience with that club?

In Sante and will keep that. Sharing Saints and Sinners and that's a maybe. Might be worth it for Cable Car, but haven't liked most of the rest. Not looking to join any others right now - will keep dumping that money into 3F and Cantillon sales instead.

I’m not currently in any. The one that continues to tempt especially after visiting the tasting room this most recent time is Mikkeler. But there starts in the spring right? Anyone have any experience with that club?

2 years. Great for the discount. I wasn't a fan of some of the member bottles so I dropped. Also, if I wasn't so far/infrequently going I would sign up for the discount and the growler fills. Those sours were tasting awesome last time I was there....2/3 months ago.

I was in it for two years, didn't really care for it. Yeah you get the discount along with your member bottles, but when you do the math you have to spend a LOT of money to make it worth anything. Half of the member bottles would be incredibly good, the other half would be weird experimental stuff that seemed like more of a dump off on us than anything else. There is always transition at that place and the membership seems like a bit of an afterthought after the last couple of years.

Also, they've started selling some of the member bottles to the public, so may as well just hold off joining and only pick up the member bottles you want: https://shop.mikkellersd.com/collections/buy-beer?page=2

My two cents.

Can't wait until its finally over and the bleeding stops: Wild Barrel

I happened to be at Lost Abbey on the day of Wild Barrel's opening party. What happened with them and their membership? I seem to recall the beers were solid for an opening lineup.

I happened to be at Lost Abbey on the day of Wild Barrel's opening party. What happened with them and their membership? I seem to recall the beers were solid for an opening lineup.
we've gotten 2 of the 10 beers promised and we paid all the way back in September of 2017. It's a complete joke at this point.

On a side note, anyone in Pure Project Syndicate that can provide some feedback from this year?

1) How many sours vs. non-sours were included;
2) How's the customer service;
3) etc.

TIA

Whaaaaaaaa?!

Is it because they didn't make a B2 of Lotza?

Hahaha, no. I rather that one be a one and done type of release. I'll wait and see the projected beers for next year before I make a final decision, but I am basing my current decision off of the included sours. They are safe, which I did expect from Alesmith since they rather make to-style beers as opposed to experimental pastry stouts and off-the-wall sours. If they go back to more stouts and play with the new base stout (non-coffee) then I will likely re-up.

Currently in Casey, Alesmith and Modern Times (League). Keeping Casey since it's like $80 and the beers just seem to get better and better. Will probably continue to split Alesmith if my pal is up for it. Modern Times - I guess I'll keep it but I only get the member bottles and bypass all the hype stuff.

Would like to join something else. Failed on De Garde for the third year in a row and everything else I'd actually want to join is much harder to get into than DG. e.g. SARA, Perennial.

Anyone in Sierra Nevada's Alpha Hop Society? Nobody ever talks about it but I'm strangely drawn to it.

Maybe Tired Hands Believers.

Also, they've started selling some of the member bottles to the public, so may as well just hold off joining and only pick up the member bottles you want: https://shop.mikkellersd.com/collections/buy-beer?page=2

You need to be in the club to buy those bottles. However they did have a day last year where they sold most of the bottles released so far to-go for non members which annoyed me. Some of the beers were exceptional but overall the club feels like something they have just because everyone else does. If Mikkel was serious about it he could open it up to European members (the EU Mikkeller Beer Club is pretty big) and build scale easily. He's already exporting loads of the SD stuff to Denmark.

Last edited:
You need to be in the club to buy those bottles. However they did have a day last year where they sold most of the bottles released so far to-go for non members which annoyed me. Some of the beers were exceptional but overall the club feels like something they have just because everyone else does. If Mikkel was serious about it he could open it up to European members (the EU Mikkeller Beer Club is pretty big) and build scale easily. He's already exporting loads of the SD stuff to Denmark.

This was on the site when I originally posted that:
  • Introducing Friends with Vikings. A preview of Mikkeller San Diego’s Viking Club officially available to the public TOMORROW, 6/21 at NOON. Order online, click the link in our bio for all the details! 3 bottles of the current quarter’s Viking bottle release. First up, Viking 15 Imperial Stout Brewed with Lactose, Cinnamon, Vietnamese Coffee, and Aged in Rum Barrels, 13.1% ABV.
    Limited availability, w
You definitely didn't have to be a member to purchase. The fact that that existed - to me - makes the membership pretty pointless. Totally agree with your sentiment on the club existing only because everyone else has one. Lots of 'perks' that never come to fruition, etc. Lots of ideas, little planning/execution.

Given that MT is opening their Oakland location, as soon as next month, I'm gonna aim to get in and split that with a friend. But, I'll be super selective of what I get. I'm really only interested in their Stouts and Barleywines for the most part.

This was on the site when I originally posted that:
  • Introducing Friends with Vikings. A preview of Mikkeller San Diego’s Viking Club officially available to the public TOMORROW, 6/21 at NOON. Order online, click the link in our bio for all the details! 3 bottles of the current quarter’s Viking bottle release. First up, Viking 15 Imperial Stout Brewed with Lactose, Cinnamon, Vietnamese Coffee, and Aged in Rum Barrels, 13.1% ABV.
    Limited availability, w
You definitely didn't have to be a member to purchase. The fact that that existed - to me - makes the membership pretty pointless. Totally agree with your sentiment on the club existing only because everyone else has one. Lots of 'perks' that never come to fruition, etc. Lots of ideas, little planning/execution.

Missed that. That's outrageous.

“A preview of Mikkeller San Diego’s Viking club officially available to the public.”
I’m far from defending a lot of these clubs as I have been pretty jaded on them and do not currently belong to any. But, this sounds like they had some extra bottles and were maybe hoping to drum up some interest for more people to want to join.

As for perks of this particular membership a big one to me seems like the ability to order online and pickup at the tasting room which you cannot do otherwise. The reason this club keeps my interest is I feel the beer I try from them is always a little under the radar. Now as for me joining it’s still probably not going to happen as it tends to be difficult for me to get there on a regular basis while living in “canada”.

“A preview of Mikkeller San Diego’s Viking club officially available to the public.”
I’m far from defending a lot of these clubs as I have been pretty jaded on them and do not currently belong to any. But, this sounds like they had some extra bottles and were maybe hoping to drum up some interest for more people to want to join.

As for perks of this particular membership a big one to me seems like the ability to order online and pickup at the tasting room which you cannot do otherwise. The reason this club keeps my interest is I feel the beer I try from them is always a little under the radar. Now as for me joining it’s still probably not going to happen as it tends to be difficult for me to get there on a regular basis while living in “canada”.

The sours have really gotten good, I wish I made it down there more often just for the sours. If I bought more of their canned beer I might have stayed in the membership as the discount made things nice.

The sours have really gotten good, I wish I made it down there more often just for the sours. If I bought more of their canned beer I might have stayed in the membership as the discount made things nice.

I should probably revisit, mostly because I have to pass by on my merry way to Alesmith. I have been in the tasting room maybe twice in the past 2.5years (once we got shafted on our membership for the 3rd time and I said no more) just to drop off beers to a buddy. Didn't even stay long enough to get a pour.

I should probably revisit, mostly because I have to pass by on my merry way to Alesmith. I have been in the tasting room maybe twice in the past 2.5years (once we got shafted on our membership for the 3rd time and I said no more) just to drop off beers to a buddy. Didn't even stay long enough to get a pour.

The sours I would say are worth a stop off and try because it's on the way to/from alesmith.

They ship within California. Somewhat annoyingly that's only available on club bottles if you're in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

They ship within California. Somewhat annoyingly that's only available on club bottles if you're in the 2nd and 3rd tiers.
Sorry I was making a joke from the SD thread. I live in north county SD so fighting the 5 and 805 freeways isn’t ideal and shipping beer from Mira Mesa to Encinitas seems like a waste of money. Kind of a catch 22. Their wording on shipping is weird though I read it you can ship club bottles anywhere in CA even if you are only a Viking member.

Also I’m wondering about what entices breweries to create a club, is it really just them viewing it as a short term interest free loan? Or is there more wanting to be creative with producing new beer at play? There are plenty of great SD breweries that do not have a club (pizza port, belching beaver, rip current, etc...)

Anyone in Sierra Nevada's Alpha Hop Society? Nobody ever talks about it but I'm strangely drawn to it.

I have a friend who was in it last year. I don't know if there's any differences depending on one's location (i.e. west coast/Chico vs east coast/Asheville), but most of the beers he got ranged from meh to gross. Some of them were interesting but not to the point of them being anything I'd want to seek out or have again. Several were drainpours. Not one made me think "wow, this is totally worth being a member for!"

Also I’m wondering about what entices breweries to create a club, is it really just them viewing it as a short term interest free loan? Or is there more wanting to be creative with producing new beer at play? There are plenty of great SD breweries that do not have a club (pizza port, belching beaver, rip current, etc...)

Its a (hopefully) large amount of cash upfront to put toward expenses throughout the year vs having to take a loan or go in the red to hopefully make it back + profit. It seems like a no brainer for the business but it seems to give new breweries a pass on creating mediocre beer as they already have your money. Clubs that have emerged after a brewery has become big as a way to honor local residents and long time customers seems like the proper way to do a club, but thats just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:
I have a friend who was in it last year. I don't know if there's any differences depending on one's location (i.e. west coast/Chico vs east coast/Asheville), but most of the beers he got ranged from meh to gross. Some of them were interesting but not to the point of them being anything I'd want to seek out or have again. Several were drainpours. Not one made me think "wow, this is totally worth being a member for!"
Yeah, I was a member the first year and poured every single beer out. Friends stayed in and slowly dropped off. None are left as 90% of the beer was terrible and went down the drain.

Sounds like you would need to also purchase the growler, kinda like how Alesmith's was an added fee the first year (but could opt in for 2nd year to get it as your merch piece). And you would need to live kinda close to take advantage of that 20% off fills perk.

Other than that, I personally would skip it, but I am not a fan of about 75% of their offerings. The anniversary parties I have attended in the past were not well run. The first time I can understand but after that, fool me once....I also don't really like having to bust out my wallet and pay for individual pours. I would prefer a token system or having it included, either unlimited or else a set amount with a wristband+tabs.

Personally for me next year I am dropping Dionysus and Westbound & Down (CO brewery)

Keeping:
Modern Times (split)
Casa (split)
Highland Park Brewery (solo)
Amalgam (solo CO brewery)

Really pains me to drop those two, as they both make fantastic beer for a great price, but I've come to the realization I have too much beer and cutting out memberships is a surefire wait to buy less.

But...what about Wild Barrel!?!?!?!? =P

Keeping:
Modern Times (hopefully still get a theory invite despite purchase rates being on the low end for me)
SARA (took me so damn long to get in, I doubt I will ever let this one go)

On the fence (...still):
Alesmith

Dropping:
Lost Abbey

But...what about Wild Barrel!?!?!?!? =P

Keeping:
Modern Times (hopefully still get a theory invite despite purchase rates being on the low end for me)
SARA (took me so damn long to get in, I doubt I will ever let this one go)

On the fence (...still):
Alesmith

Dropping:
Lost Abbey
Ugh, don't remind me.

Maybe Tired Hands Believers.
Saw this in your post and was confused I missed something. Did you recently see something about them creating a 3rd Believer's Club? Because there have only been 2 in the past and the previous one was years ago at this point.

Saw this in your post and was confused I missed something. Did you recently see something about them creating a 3rd Believer's Club? Because there have only been 2 in the past and the previous one was years ago at this point.

Ah, I thought it was still active.

I keep hearing grumblings of a Lost Cause Meadery membership forming. Anyone hear anything about that? That's about the only other thing I'd consider at this point.

Back