8-18 Drink something nice today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeox

Reaction score
tdLGqRb.jpg

It's my anniversary, so I'm opening up a great BA stout aged in my wife's favorite bourbon barrels (saving the Pappy version for my brother's wedding in a few weeks).

But you know what? Don't hold all of your nice bottles for special occasions. Pop one open on a random day just because.

But you know what? Don't hold all of your nice bottles for special occasions. Pop one open on a random day just because.
What happens when this is all you have done the past year and you have no beer left?

I will tell you.

It's great.
Went to a bottle share last night empty handed. Drank all te whales made sure I was super ungrateful and hated on all the beers and then left. Was perfect

I biked 18 miles, had a post-workout shake, then downed a Beatification. I think it's the only bottle I've consumed out of the many I bought/pickedupbro/traded. #shadesofbaldo

All I have left is sours and high-gravity barleywines. Whar is pilsner, whar

In the spirit of jakeox's drinking philosophy for tonight, I decided to bring this one out of my cellar. Been saving it for the right time but what/when is the "right" time? This will be my first foray into the world of RR's sour beers.

tumblr_mrr1hhFiue1s7ja49o1_1280.jpg

Four words: That's freakin' tart!!!

Not that I'm complaining...just surprised, that's all.

I keep chucking the bottle before taking a photo, so I'll just bold it and you can conjure an image in your head:

Hair of the Dog Adam (batch 88)

This one's more barleywine-like than previous batches. The last one I remember distinctly was 83, which had a peppery finish that was Belgian-like. I opened a 3L of it and a good portion spilled on the floor, so it may have had other issues.

Prior batches had a nice tobacco-leather element that I handwavily consider to be "old ale" signatures. This one, batch 88, has more raisins and caramel on the taste, but as it warms up, I get a little tobacco on the nose. I'm hoping that develops further as it hits room temp. If so, it will be a good batch to age, based on my past experience.

My aunt and uncle traveled to Williamsburg. So I asked if they would be willing to stop by Alewerks and fill my growler with barrel aged porter. When they went the bourbon porter was gone so they got the growler filled with something similar, but they have no idea what it's filled with. So I'm enjoying a growler of mystery beer (pretty sure it's the coffee stout) and watching Summerslam.
IMG_20130818_203914_512_zps540fc795.jpg

Got a nice 2008 Thomas Hardy's Ale in my glass tonight...
Loads of caramel, vanilla, and burnt brown sugar/molases notes.

d9LSTYI.jpeg

Also have my Peterson System Standard packed up and burning some Peterson Irish Oak....
Mmmmmmmmm

Couldn't even spring for the shakes bro? I am dissapoint. ="

lurchingbeast, post: 25276, member: 125"]I drank an entire growler last night. So I busted out my finest bottle to get ready for work tomorrow:

ab-028c_1z.jpg
[/quote]
Couldn

I just got finished with a two hour orgasm.

9541406605_3c51428566_z.jpg

Goose Island The Illinois

9541409151_e3e0f3f128_z.jpg

Boulevard Tank 7

9544199492_a6c2973fb7_z.jpg

Cream cheese, Gouda, lobster, fried egg on Texas toast on a flat iron

9544203448_9cb9558e47_z.jpg

Sour cream and chive mash
Wedge with smoked pecans, Maytag, yellow tomatoes, and balsamic reduction
Cauliflower blackened with chili powder
Coal fired sweet potatoes

9541417117_48dc062066_z.jpg

Smoked beef long rib with a tobasco-molasses barbecue sauce
Red hot brussel sprouts
Fulton battered fries with all kinds of tasty house sauces

9541419025_5e0430912c_z.jpg

Hot fudge, walnut crisp, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream fraiche, kettle corn, and walnut candy

After a long night of drinking in San Francisco last night for my wife's birthday, we swung by Toronado for some breakfast pints. Had a Firestone Walker PNC, which was fantastic, and a DFH Hellhound IPA.

Now I'm exhausted and ready for bed. Not easy for me to stay up til 3 in the morning anymore...

Long day started with a bunch of good beer at Tired Hands for the Handfarm release today. Enjoyed a La Vermontoise while brewing earlier this evening. Now sipping on a b5 Temptation while I watch Breaking Bad.

**** it, I busted open my last 12 oz Bourbon Barrel Vanilla bean Imperial stout homebrew tonight. I have 1 750 ML left for the 1 year anniversary of bottling in December, but I figured hell might as well drink this today.

I just got finished with a two hour orgasm.

9541406605_3c51428566_z.jpg

Goose Island The Illinois

9541409151_e3e0f3f128_z.jpg

Boulevard Tank 7

9544199492_a6c2973fb7_z.jpg

Cream cheese, Gouda, lobster, fried egg on Texas toast on a flat iron

9544203448_9cb9558e47_z.jpg

Sour cream and chive mash
Wedge with smoked pecans, Maytag, yellow tomatoes, and balsamic reduction
Cauliflower blackened with chili powder
Coal fired sweet potatoes

9541417117_48dc062066_z.jpg

Smoked beef long rib with a tobasco-molasses barbecue sauce
Red hot brussel sprouts
Fulton battered fries with all kinds of tasty house sauces

9541419025_5e0430912c_z.jpg

Hot fudge, walnut crisp, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream fraiche, kettle corn, and walnut candy
Smoked beef ain't veg... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back