A Deal With the Devil Day 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have heard a few peoples' disappointment on the variants. Apparently the previous batches were all better than these... but who knows

I really don't know of anyone who has been ballsy enough to crack open a box set. I got there a few days early and enjoyed Alaska. Me and my friends got to the brewery in the evening on Friday and hung out until the line formed. With odd luck, one of our group was the very first in line; right in front of 20 *****ebags and paid miles from Chicago who were talking about buying all of the cognac cases and were already pre selling their box sets and cognac bottles hours before the release even started. Cognac cases sold out 15 people in and people were seen paying off their mules while standing in front of towers of cases. That was all the bad.

As for the rest of it, it was an awesome time. I was about number 30 in line, everyone held eachother's places and we were able to free roam and meet new people and hang out with other groups. Most of us brought cases of beer from our individual localities and we had one of the most epic bottle shares ever. There were lots of self provided fires to attempt to keep us warm throughout the day and night. At 8am, Gabe had a local coffee roaster to provide us with free coffee, and food trucks rolled up. When the line started moving, it was painfully slow, and watching ******** buy up every last bottle of cognac was a little disheartening, but it was their first time doing a release like this, and I don't really fault them for anything other than not putting a limit on cognac cases. The moment I got inside and had a glass of double oaked, I really could care less about not getting much cognac, as it was amazing, and we opened a cognac at the hotel later and all agreed that double oaked was slightly better. Overall, it was an amazing time and I won't let the shitlords take that from me. I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out next year.

Last edited:
When it takes balls to open some beers. What a time to be alive.
Well, If you have had previous batches at different points in the aging process, you know they are much much better with a few years on them. There are plenty of double oaked bottles to open, I think most save the variants for a few years, seeing as you only get one of each. But that's just me.

When the line started moving, it was painfully slow, and watching ******** buy up every last bottle of cognac was a little disheartening, but it was their first time doing a release like this, and I don't really fault them for anything other than not putting a limit on cognac cases.

tumblr_lz5ia86DVz1qdeocv.gif

This is what Russian River type apologists say every time they "durrr, I can't believe we're this popular/we've never done this before" type of release.

Its intentional people. As difficulty rises in acquiring non essential goods, the perception of quality also rises.

****, my subjective opinion: DwaD is hot no matter how long you age it, and cognac barrel stuff is always hot (like all ~5 examples I've had, not exactly well versed), so cognac DwaD sounds like pounding rubbing alcohol. I'll just keep banging CWbbbw for $4 a bottle. . .

giphy.gif

So Chicago **** lords book a trip to Alaska, pay mules off the streets to get them extra allotments, then have the mules cut to the front of the line? Seriously. What a bunch of ****ing shitheads some people are.

Last edited:
****, my subjective opinion: DwaD is hot no matter how long you age it, and cognac barrel stuff is always hot (like all ~5 examples I've had, not exactly well versed), so cognac DwaD sounds like pounding rubbing alcohol.

Sorry maybe I'm a moron but... isn't "regular" ADwtD (aka any version most of us have probably had) cognac aged

****, my subjective opinion: DwaD is hot no matter how long you age it, and cognac barrel stuff is always hot (like all ~5 examples I've had, not exactly well versed), so cognac DwaD sounds like pounding rubbing alcohol. I'll just keep banging CWbbbw for $4 a bottle. . .

Aging is about a lot more than heat dying down.... CW is great too, but that's not what we're talking about here, is it. And while I love CW more than most, I certainly wouldn't fly to Wisconsin and wait in line to get it.

Sorry maybe I'm a moron but... isn't "regular" ADwtD (aka any version most of us have probably had) cognac aged

Alcohol heat story checks out.

Aging is about a lot more than heat dying down.... CW is great too, but that's not what we're talking about here, is it. And while I love CW more than most, I certainly wouldn't fly to Wisconsin and wait in line to get it.

Actually CW is what we're talking about. I brought it up in comparison, you responded, and now I'm still talking about it.

I could argue that oxidation and loss of carbonation aren't really big improvements to a barleywine, but people age beers for a lot of different reasons I guess.

Of course you wouldn't fly to get CW, thereby lending some corroboration to my point about perceptions of non essential items based on effort and ease of availability. This story checks out too.

Alcohol heat story checks out.

Actually CW is what we're talking about. I brought it up in comparison, you responded, and now I'm still talking about it.

I could argue that oxidation and loss of carbonation aren't really big improvements to a barleywine, but people age beers for a lot of different reasons I guess.

Of course you wouldn't fly to get CW, thereby lending some corroboration to my point about perceptions of non essential items based on effort and ease of availability. This story checks out too.

I think slight oxidization and loss of carbonation are key elements, but I also feel like the different elements of the flavors fall back/come forward over time. It's always going to be hot, it's a big beer. Barleywine is my favorite kind of beer though, so heat doesn't really bother me. ADWTD is a much more complex beer, and a beer I've had many many times in the past and am quite fond of, enough to make me want to make the trip. I still love that CW though. I have a 4 pack at all times. So damn good.

I think slight oxidization and loss of carbonation are key elements, but I also feel like the different elements of the flavors fall back/come forward over time. It's always going to be hot, it's a big beer. Barleywine is my favorite kind of beer though, so heat doesn't really bother me. ADWTD is a much more complex beer, and a beer I've had many many times in the past and am quite fond of, enough to make me want to make the trip. I still love that CW though. I have a 4 pack at all times. So damn good.

Glad you had fun, that's all that counts. One of these days I gotta manage a CW anniversary trip in the middle of Wisconsin shitwinter so I can go full hypocrite on this issue!

Back