Advice for San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdto1st1

Reaction score
Alright everyone, I've done some research and I'm from Orange County anyway, so I'm not nearly as clueless as most. A buddy of mine is turning 30 and wants to do a San Diego trip this weekend. Note that of the people going I'm the only one that likes IPAs, and since this isn't about me, we want places that have a wider variety to offer.

We'll go down Sat around noon and hit the Ballast Point Restaurant for late lunch and then Societe and Alesmith on our way down.

After some digging around, I see that the Lafayette is the place to stay, so I booked that for us already. We'll check in there and maybe walk down to Toronado for some more drinks.

Have a late dinner (need advice on where to go, cab required?) and then return to 30th and just walk that area (I really want to hit Modern Times) until we are full or the places close.

Sunday we'll hit Stone on the way up to fill grolwers and Pizza Port for food.

So, any recommendations for where to eat dinner or better suggestions of what we should do post check-in? Places that we can cab/uber/walk are good since we'll be in no shape to drive.

Thanks

If you are wandering 30th you should stop at Rip Current. If you are at Societe, check out Council which is nearby.

I suspect by the time you hit the Lafayette you'll be blasted, so just hit some casual joint in that area then hit Toro and the other places...

If you're at the Lafayette, the following beer-centric places are within walking distance:

-Toro
-Livewire
-Belching Beaver
-Rip Current
-Tiger! Tiger!

A few blocks south and you'll hit other places like Bottlecraft and Waypoint Public.

If you're looking for dinner and you're going to hit Modem Tones North Park Broseph Chapter, there's a couple places right in that same plaza, namely Tacos Perla and Underbelly (a killer ramen spot).

My recommendation for Sunday would be to skip Stone (unless you really want to go) and hit up Toolbox and Churchill's instead.

Paging Sage to post your magical SD Beer link...
http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/san-diego-visitors-guide.2069/ :)

We'll go down Sat around noon and hit the Ballast Point Restaurant for late lunch and then Societe and Alesmith on our way down.
If BP Miramar’s restaurant is like Little Italy’s, I probably would advise to skip and either eat an early lunch at Churchills on your way down or a late lunch at Obriens, orrr I’m guessing both Societe and Alesmith will have food trucks at that time. Or if you don’t need beer with your meal and you like Indian food go to Punjabi.

Have a late dinner (need advice on where to go, cab required?) and then return to 30th and just walk that area (I really want to hit Modern Times) until we are full or the places close.
Tiger Tiger. So underrated. Food there is phenomenal. If you want something a bit closer to MT though I’d listen to arren since he lives in the area.

[edit]: Just realized you’re doing it for this weekend. Definitely hit up Obriens because they will have a shitton of RR beer on tap, and also good timing for Stone because Sunday is the start of Winter Storm.

Back