US - Northwest Ale Apothecary Ale Club 2016

Help Support Talkbeer:

Not what I was even remotely getting at, but thanks for contributing.

AA is just super acetic and kinda harsh on the palette now for me, that acetic kick is very trademark and I always seem to pull it out no matter what the beer is of theirs. I've been enjoying their stuff since going down to Bend in 2012, but I'm just not as enamored with the flavor profile as I once was. I was trying to have a legitimate conversation about it.
You're right--there is definitely an acetic character to all of the beer. I don't mind it because it isn't (to me) the aggressively sharp acetic acid character of a fermentation gone wrong but I can still see how people don't enjoy it or would tire of it.

My house sour culture has Ale Apothecary dregs and it gets that same acetic character no matter how much oxygen I keep away from it. It gets rampant if given the chance to come in contact with too much oxygen so it's a real PITA to brew with. My beers are a little softer than Ale Apothecary but that might be the other participants in my culture or that I'm generally brewing beer with half the ABV.

There is a couple beers they mention in the email that drew me in, Rum Peach La Tache and a stout, I was on the fence but that got me over

Paul wrote about some acidity issues before the start of last year. Essentially, it's not intentional, but how they brew allows many opportunities for oxygen to reach the beer. He's making an effort to reduce the acidity. I still found some of last year's beers acidic. Caballo Negro, Double Peach La Tache, Marionberry Whoops!, and Minotaur in particular. Smothered in Hugs was very far from acidic and reminded me of BA Dorothy b1 I had a week prior.

But even with the acidic beers, I think there's a lot to appreciate. I put together a double blind tasting for friends and family, who all have a strong dislike for acidity, so I was surprised when they picked out Double Peach La Tache as their favorite among Transmigration of Light, A Thousand Summers, and The Nectarine. I guess I can't think of a brewery making AA-esque beers minus the acidity, so I re-upped.

Paul wrote about some acidity issues before the start of last year. Essentially, it's not intentional, but how they brew allows many opportunities for oxygen to reach the beer. He's making an effort to reduce the acidity. I still found some of last year's beers acidic. Caballo Negro, Double Peach La Tache, Marionberry Whoops!, and Minotaur in particular. Smothered in Hugs was very far from acidic and reminded me of BA Dorothy b1 I had a week prior.

But even with the acidic beers, I think there's a lot to appreciate. I put together a double blind tasting for friends and family, who all have a strong dislike for acidity, so I was surprised when they picked out Double Peach La Tache as their favorite among Transmigration of Light, A Thousand Summers, and The Nectarine. I guess I can't think of a brewery making AA-esque beers minus the acidity, so I re-upped.
Sounds like I should open my Smothered in Hugs.

Latest posts