all things kansas city

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump since I'm visiting Kansas (Manhattan specifically for a conference at KSU, any folks from there on here?) soon and I'll probably be flying in and out of Kansas City. Specific travel plans are still up in the air but if schedules allow I'd be down for grabbing a beer with any folks in KC before heading home. June 1st is the likely day I might have partly free.

Bump since I'm visiting Kansas (Manhattan specifically for a conference at KSU, any folks from there on here?) soon and I'll probably be flying in and out of Kansas City. Specific travel plans are still up in the air but if schedules allow I'd be down for grabbing a beer with any folks in KC before heading home. June 1st is the likely day I might have partly free.
Yea Id like to have a beer with you. PMing details

Heading to KC next week for a conference, any where I should try to check out in my free time? Anyone up to meet?

My girlfriend and I actually just spent a week in Kansas City, and I did my best to hit a bunch of the breweries around the city. I don't pretend to be an expert by any means, but these are a few of the ones I liked, in order of preference:

Torn Label Brewing, in the Crossroads Arts District, was far and away the best beer I tried while in KC. We visited their taproom and got to chat with Travis Moore, one of the brewers and co-founders (he's a super cool dude who gave us samples even though they weren't open because we were flying out the next day), and he told us about how he and his co-founders were locals who simply want to bring beer the quality of what you'd find in California or Chicago to Kansas City. If you go to one brewery on your trip, I'd suggest making it this one.

— If you can make a visit to North Kansas City, check out Cinder Block Brewing. I didn't actually get to stop at their brewery, but I sampled their beers at several places around town and really enjoyed what I tried.

— You should probably check out Boulevard while you're there, too. Their taproom is worth a visit, though if you go on a weekend, expect it to be packed.

Last edited:
Will be traveling to KC this week.. recommendations on beer bars or breweries to hit? Also obviously have to ask best BBQ recs.. Thanks!

My girlfriend and I actually just spent a week in Kansas City, and I did my best to hit a bunch of the breweries around the city. I don't pretend to be an expert by any means, but these are a few of the ones I liked, in order of preference:

Torn Label Brewing, in the Crossroads Arts District, was far and away the best beer I tried while in KC. We visited their taproom and got to chat with Travis Moore, one of the brewers and co-founders (he's a super cool dude who gave us samples even though they weren't open because we were flying out the next day), and he told us about how he and his co-founders were locals who simply want to bring beer the quality of what you'd find in California or Chicago to Kansas City. If you go to one brewery on your trip, I'd suggest making it this one.

— If you can make a visit to North Kansas City, check out Cinder Block Brewing. I didn't actually get to stop at their brewery, but I sampled their beers at several places around town and really enjoyed what I tried.

— You should probably check out Boulevard while you're there, too. Their taproom is worth a visit, though if you go on a weekend, expect it to be packed.

Will be in town next weekend for a conference. Is this post still accurate? Anything to add?

So if you're ever in Kansas City and in the mood for solid BBQ, the gas station across the street from Gates BBQ has a solid tome' selection available.

*sorry you guys can't see the pick but take my word for it k?
Seeing as how this is highly relevant to my interests tonight, which Gates BBQ were you referring to?

Well lucky for you guys, it's too late. I left the Royals game when they were losing 11-3 and I'm having my double pork chop at Gram & Dun already.

KC Bier Co was excellent as expected... and Julep and Gram & Dun both got their BTAC/Pappy deliveries yesterday if anyone’s looking for that stuff.

In KC MO for a weekend of family stuff.

Hit KC Brewing, legit lagers.

Hit McCoy's for a late lunch. Decent beer.

Hope at and TikiCat late night for after-family fun. Good times.

Next trip. This one was for saying goodbye to the wife's 98 year grandmother. Next time will be the funeral.

Heading to KC again next weekend for work. Staying near Power and Light district. Hit Boulevard, Torn Label and Double Shift last time. Any other recommendations or new places? BKS and Bier Station may be a little too far out for me, as I won't have a car.

Also, what's the best option for bottles in that area?

Heading to KC again next weekend for work. Staying near Power and Light district. Hit Boulevard, Torn Label and Double Shift last time. Any other recommendations or new places? BKS and Bier Station may be a little too far out for me, as I won't have a car.

Also, what's the best option for bottles in that area?
go grab a slice of cheeseburger pizza at Minsky's and rethink Portland pizza. abawol01 has seen the light.

From Torn Label or Double Shift, BKS is actually pretty easy to get to because of the highway and close to BKS is Brookside Wine and Spirits and Mike's Liquor. Only open on weekends really though unless there is a special occasion.

Flying Saucer has been having amazing deals weeknights recently and should be close by. Make use of the street car. If you want more food recommendations I could go for awhile.

Love seeing the Torn Label love in here. One of the founders is one of my first beer friends from way back. Have enjoyed all of the beers that I have tried from them, and I'm happy to hear that others are enjoying their stuff. Was out there shortly before the brewery opened and got a little tour, but I'm excited to return some day to see what it has become and try the beers at the source.

Back