Ann Arbor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBUCKEYE

Reaction score
Any suggestions for good beer bars in Ann Arbor? I'll be in town for Friday and Saturday of this week. Would like a place with a TV on Saturday to watch football. Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving (even wolverine fans ;))

Thanks man. Looks like a good spot. Any idea what time they open this Saturday? Hopefully they open early on game day....

bumping--up in ann arbor tomorrow night and flying solo with a car most of friday while my fiance interviews at umich--any suggestions? looking for a store with some short's and a good place for lunch (currently planning on zingermans, but could be talked out of it). tagging Corbot_3000 because you live there--and if you're around, drinks on me for lunch.

We enjoyed Jolly Pumpkin. The food was very good, as was the atmosphere (and of course the beer). If you live in Columbus, Katzingers is better than Zingermans.

We did not have a chance to visit Ashleys.

Thank you for the suggestions SammyD and Boilerfood

Zingermans (both the delicatessen and roadhouse) are both very good but pricey. You really can't beat Jolly Pumpkin, although it is a bit pricey as well.

Plum Market is your best bet for Shorts, they're one of the few places that sell singles. If you'll be downtown near JP or Zingermans, you might as well hit up Main Street Party Store (they tend to rip people off with hyped releases but bottles stick around more often). There's also Wine Castle, which is pretty close to Plum Market as well. If you're looking for Sweet Repute, you might be able to still find it - make sure you ask ask an employee in the beer section - many stores keep the more limited beers in the back.

I appreciate the offer to have a drink, unfortunately I'm in year end crunch time at work and there's no way I can find the time to duck out. If your wife ends up getting the job or you end up coming back up here for another interview, let me know and I'll try and make it work.

thanks to both. may pass on katzingers and just liquid lunch at JP. Corbot_3000, med school interview, so if we come back, won't be until july. thanks for the advice on the sweet repute--wonderful OH laws are keeping this one away from us (although a blessing in disguise for bolt cutter).

thanks to both. may pass on katzingers and just liquid lunch at JP. Corbot_3000, med school interview, so if we come back, won't be until july. thanks for the advice on the sweet repute--wonderful OH laws are keeping this one away from us (although a blessing in disguise for bolt cutter).

The food at JP is top notch as well. One of my favorite restaurants in Ann Arbor.

Yeah, their chicken nachos are the shizzle.

Their smoke and fire pizza is awesome, along with their sunday brunch and mixed drinks (I know this is blasphemy on a beer forum but if JP doesn't have anything new on tap that I haven't had, I'll usually order a mixed drink when I'm there.). Also, their BLT is great.

Their smoke and fire pizza is awesome, along with their sunday brunch and mixed drinks (I know this is blasphemy on a beer forum but if JP doesn't have anything new on tap that I haven't had, I'll usually order a mixed drink when I'm there.). Also, their BLT is great.
my choice has been made. JP it is. will be a game-time decision on what i order, but looks like i can't go wrong. appreciate the help. as for bottle shops--just looking for whatever short's might be around? is this easy? i'm stopping at flick's in lambertville on my way up (to hopefully pick up more olde bluehair) but their short's selection wasn't great when i was there around a month ago.

i love short's.

There are definitely variety packs around locally, maybe Buschs on Green rd. if the stores I listed above don't have them. They include Black Diamond, Snow Wheat, Gingersnap, and Mystery Stout. Captain Fantasy hit this week. Bludgeon Yer Eye was last week. You may get lucky and come across Evil Urges.

There are definitely variety packs around locally, maybe Buschs on Green rd. if the stores I listed above don't have them. They include Black Diamond, Snow Wheat, Gingersnap, and Mystery Stout. Captain Fantasy hit this week. Bludgeon Yer Eye was last week. You may get lucky and come across Evil Urges.

also, you moron, Plum Market is your best bet for Shorts, they're one of the few places that sell singles. If you'll be downtown near JP or Zingermans, you might as well hit up Main Street Party Store (they tend to rip people off with hyped releases but bottles stick around more often). There's also Wine Castle, which is pretty close to Plum Market as well. If you're looking for Sweet Repute, you might be able to still find it - make sure you ask ask an employee in the beer section - many stores keep the more limited beers in the back.
remember where i totally missed you listing a bunch of stores because i got distracted by sweet repute? that happened.

What blew my mind wasn't how expensive it was, but how many people were still waiting to standing in a long line for it.

zingermans is overpriced (for what you get) at both their deli and roadhouse, but worth a try if youre going through ann arbor. It good but not great imo... but the problem is I can't really name a better deli in that area. The only zingermans product that I consistently go for is their bread.. so if you're into cheeses and bread, they sell top notch stuff, and its at a different location (south of campus off state st).

good luck to your fiance at her interviews... stressful (and expensive) time for us down the interview trail..

bumping this thread from the dead because i'm moving here in june for will-be wife's residency. any neighborhood recommendations if we're looking to rent (hopefully for only a year)? also, if someone could give me a job, that'd be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

bumping this thread from the dead because i'm moving here in june for will-be wife's residency. any neighborhood recommendations if we're looking to rent (hopefully for only a year)? also, if someone could give me a job, that'd be greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

Sorry to hear you have to relocate. If you are looking for places to rent, I'd suggest Toledo.

Let me just chime in here in a minute. Ann Arbor is a great town. I have no clue how ANYONE could choose Toledo over this city. I'd look on the Northside of Ann Arbor if you're looking to save money on rent costs. The closer you can rent to Argo Park the better. I live near the park and run around the river, kayak, and everything is a 1-2 mile walk away in the city...such a great place to live, PM me if you move here and need ideas on fun things to do...and if you want to split a bunch of beers from my cellar with me.

Let me just chime in here in a minute. Ann Arbor is a great town. I have no clue how ANYONE could choose Toledo over this city. I'd look on the Northside of Ann Arbor if you're looking to save money on rent costs. The closer you can rent to Argo Park the better. I live near the park and run around the river, kayak, and everything is a 1-2 mile walk away in the city...such a great place to live, PM me if you move here and need ideas on fun things to do...and if you want to split a bunch of beers from my cellar with me.
thanks a ton. i'm actually really looking forward to it--we loved the city when we visited (in december, no less). we have a dog, too, so access to parks and places to walk are always great. also, not a buckeye fan (sorry NYCBUCKEYE ) so i'm not too worried!

thanks a ton. i'm actually really looking forward to it--we loved the city when we visited (in december, no less). we have a dog, too, so access to parks and places to walk are always great. also, not a buckeye fan (sorry NYCBUCKEYE ) so i'm not too worried!

Just pm me when you get here...the summers here are awesome.

i apologize on behalf of nyc that this gentleman has attached this fair city's name to a post that suggests toledo as a viable alternative to, well, anything, let alone ann arbor. we all know the only good place in blowhio is THE university of dayton.

congrats on your fiances match. great times. a lot of residents/med students live off of maiden lane in like the island apts nielson sq. etc. The whole place imo is a cluster but its a good option for your wife's commute. Theres also north campus which is pretty open in comparison, a bit more convenient to get out of the city, rent might be a little cheaper too.

Latest posts

Back