Any audiophiles or head-fi'ers?

Help Support Talkbeer:

I've had Grado SR125s for about 8 years now and I love them so much; they're pretty much my prized possession. I listen to a lot of vinyl (a good amount of my collection is on Discogs under the same name as my TB username) on a Audio Technica AT-LP120 (a Technics knockoff) and MP3s otherwise. Usually V0 or 320. I don't "identify" as an audiophile because I don't have a lot of money but I love my headphones.

I've had Grado SR125s for about 8 years now and I love them so much; they're pretty much my prized possession. I listen to a lot of vinyl (a good amount of my collection is on Discogs under the same name as my TB username) on a Audio Technica AT-LP120 (a Technics knockoff) and MP3s otherwise. Usually V0 or 320. I don't "identify" as an audiophile because I don't have a lot of money but I love my headphones.
Nice!
I had some SR125's a few years ago. Loved the sound, but couldn't get over the comfort. Chafed my ears.

As my main rig I currently have a some Audeze LCD-2's with a Meier Concerto and Schiit Bifrost. For vinyl I have a pair of vintage B&O turntables (TX-2 and RX-2). They sound great, but I cant seem to get into it, or be troubled to to listen to my collection. Digital is just so much more convenient and consistent.

Former hiphop dj turned vinyl playback enthusiast here. I don't have the disposable income to throw at expensive setups, so my focus is mainly finding good deals on vintage equipment (cartridges and japanese direct drive turntables) and various DIY projects. My main vinyl driver is a modified Technics 1200mk2. I am running a Cambridge Audio 640p vinyl preamp, but am in the process of putting together a DIY kit to replace it.

I really have too many cartridges -- there was a period in my life where I was obsessed with collecting them. But I seem to gravitate toward two main ones for listening: Signet TK7 with an ATN20SS tip and a Shure V15 Type 3 with a JICO SAS.

I have a couple tables waiting to be tinkered with: a JVC QL-A7 and a QL-Y7. Got a few tonearms waiting to be mounted as well. Planning on re-plinthing the QL-A7 with an interchangeable tonearm setup. The Y7 will probably just get a recap and tuneup since it's a beautiful machine as-is.

Speaker-wise, I've had a pair of KRK V8 Ser 2 monitors for years before getting the "audiophile" bug. Looking to upgrade at some point, but it's not a priority. I've got a home office/project studio room that I've treated with absorption panels, and I'm able to hear the changes in my system pretty well, so that's been enough to keep me happy tinkering and listening.

Had my pair of HD580s for about 13 years now, still rocking. That's my main outlet these days.

As for speakers, my Vienna Mozarts are in storage, sadly. Ran them thru a Bryston 4B-SST for years. Glorious.

Subbed this to reply to later.

Just picked up some Polk LSi25's, LSiC, LSi7's this weekend. Really stoked. Running them off a B&K AVR 505. Considering grabbing a Parasound Preamp to help with the poor signal from music I play on my phone.

Had my pair of HD580s for about 13 years now, still rocking. That's my main outlet these days.

As for speakers, my Vienna Mozarts are in storage, sadly. Ran them thru a Bryston 4B-SST for years. Glorious.
Damn, HD580 are no slouch by any means (actually my favorite of the sennheiser trio), but that speaker rig sounds like a beast!

air

I'm more of a headphone kinda guy, especially IEMs since I fly a lot.

Home: Ultrasone HFI-780, Grado SR125. Used to have Sennheiser HD-280's and the very commonly recommended Audio Technica ATH-M50
On the go: Klipsch X10. Comfort on these is stellar, though I've been seriously eyeballing Fischer Audio IEM's.

And I always seem to have Koss KSC-75's as throwarounds for work/gym/etc, gotta love the bang for the buck.

thanks for the heads up Lognar

i'd call myself a hobbyist and collector primarily. i do have a good bit of gear laying around the house, some hooked up and most not hooked up..... i have a "dj system" upstairs and a surround system downstairs (only used to listen to records though)

upstairs......2 technics 1200 mk2's, vestax pmc250 mixer (i also have a pvc275 but i like the pmc250 more), mackie srm450 monitors/loudspeakers alternative playback is through a technics receiver and klipsch bookshelf speakers

downstairs.......pro-ject debut III turntable, pro-ject phono box se, rega planet cd player, harmon kardon surround sound receiver, axiom audio speakers

headphones......ultrasone dj1, sennheiser 280, sennheiser 480 (and several more pair), headroom pocket headphone amp.

i really prefer to put my money into music, and preferably vinyl.

I'm more of a headphone kinda guy, especially IEMs since I fly a lot.

Home: Ultrasone HFI-780, Grado SR125. Used to have Sennheiser HD-280's and the very commonly recommended Audio Technica ATH-M50
On the go: Klipsch X10. Comfort on these is stellar, though I've been seriously eyeballing Fischer Audio IEM's.

And I always seem to have Koss KSC-75's as throwarounds for work/gym/etc, gotta love the bang for the buck.
Have had many headphones of varying quality over the years, but love my ATH-M50s. For sound quality and comfort, very tough to beat for the price

I was on Head-Fi for a bit under a decade starting in 2003, before starting hardcore on this godforsaken hobby. 3k+ posts, contributor, similar Ashley Wood robot avatar, all that.

First decent pair of headphones I ever owned was a pair of Sennheiser HD600s back in ~2002ish. I vividly remember getting a pair of (what I remember mostly for being sibilant) Sony CD3000s, gargantuan grey numbers that made me look like I was either being a) shot into space, or b) ready to shoot skeet. Probably owned a few dozen different pair over the years, Sennheiser, Grado, Audio-Technica, AKG, etc. up to the newer Audeze LCD-2s.

Nowadays I own Skullcandy. Not kidding. (only for audiobooks)

I was on Head-Fi for a bit under a decade starting in 2003, before starting hardcore on this godforsaken hobby. 3k+ posts, contributor, similar Ashley Wood robot avatar, all that.

First decent pair of headphones I ever owned was a pair of Sennheiser HD600s back in ~2002ish. I vividly remember getting a pair of (what I remember mostly for being sibilant) Sony CD3000s, gargantuan grey numbers that made me look like I was either being a) shot into space, or b) ready to shoot skeet. Probably owned a few dozen different pair over the years, Sennheiser, Grado, Audio-Technica, AKG, etc. up to the newer Audeze LCD-2s.

Nowadays I own Skullcandy. Not kidding. (only for audiobooks)
Man, that's quite a journey. Never had a chance to hear some CD3000's. I tried trading for some at one point, but they reached whale status and were out of my reach. Skullcandy has come a long way since they first popped up on to the market. I remember liking the Aviators quite a lot.

I don't contribute much on head-fi anymore. It seemed to change so much in the past couple of years with a lot of the OG members leaving.

my headphones at work are sennheiser hd555s. super comfy and great sound.

my home stereo is a technics 1200 with an at440mla cart running through a marantz 2240 into some pioneer floor speakers that i can't remember the model of right now. i could probably use some new speakers, but these sound fine for now.

My lawn mowing headphones are ATH-M30's.
I have 2 stereo systems. My main is a Marantz SR 7200 (6.1) with 2- JBL N Center's, HLS-610 rears, a Studio series sub, and JRX 125's powered by a Crown XLS202 amp. I have a shitty Technics TT hooked up to it via a separate phono amp. Some day I will get my dad's Empire 208 TT.

My other stereo is not hooked up due to a bad crossover. 1978 Vintage. Pioneer SX-780 with DLK 1 1/2 speakers.

My lawn mowing headphones are ATH-M30's.
I have 2 stereo systems. My main is a Marantz SR 7200 (6.1) with 2- JBL N Center's, HLS-610 rears, a Studio series sub, and JRX 125's powered by a Crown XLS202 amp. I have a shitty Technics TT hooked up to it via a separate phono amp. Some day I will get my dad's Empire 208 TT.

My other stereo is not hooked up due to a bad crossover. 1978 Vintage. Pioneer SX-780 with DLK 1 1/2 speakers.
How do you like your Marantz? I am considering dropping my B&K AVR505 for a Marantz SR7005 for more tweak-ability.

Tonight I spent the night hooking up both my stereo setups to see if I could find a discernable winner, and I am a bit stuck. Both rigs had their merit and fulfilled a need, want, and desire that the other could not.

Set up 1:
Fronts : 2 ADS L1290
Center: ADS L810
Surround: 2 ADS L1290
Sub: Boston Acoustics XB6

Set up 2:
Fronts : 2 Polk LSi25
Center: Polk LSiC
Surround: 2 LSi7
Sub: Same XB6 but I ran a separate wire from the center output on the B&K to the sub input, as well as the LSiC input. So far it is working o-k. I am not a fan of letting the natural roll off of frequencies take place on a driver, and prefer a crossover of some sort. I am trying this setup at a suggestion of a friend to see how it works.

The ADS have such a more 'complete' sound
..so real, so blended, so liquid, so malleable...compared to the crisp and clean sound of the Polks.

Does anyone here have experience with good Preamp setups?

Does anyone know much about that Sonos wireless system?

I am trying to find a way to take the songs off my phone, which I get from Spotify, and play them through my stereo while still sounding good.

My issue is that I use a RCA to Aux convertor cable now, and the signal from my phone is so weak I have to turn up the amp about 70-85% to really get it to scream when my phone is the source unit.

When I put a cd in the PS3 or listen to something off the tv, I only need to turn the volume up 50-70% to get the same volume level, so I know it is my phone.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to get a better signal to the amp, with my phone still being the source unit? I've tried using an inline headphone amplifier, but the lack of real processing power simply adds it's own weird tinge to the music and doesn't help.

Would a pre-amp help? Perhaps that Sonos unit?

Anyway, in reading each of yours' setups, it seems you guys have some wonderful stuff and absolutely amazing headphones. Thank you Farnsworth for making a thread for those of us who enjoy interesting audio equipment and headsets.

Latest posts